Stainless Cowl Vents

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Stainless Cowl Vents

Post by jackryan »

The 31 has 2 engine cowl vents in each gunnel and the previous owner of my boat painted them black. The paint is bubbling and peeling off of them now and they look pretty bad. I think it would look nice to have a highly polished stainless steel cowl vent to replace mine with. Has anyone here found a good stainless replacement cowl vent that does not take any modifications to install? If such a cowl does not exist, I was thinking about stripping the paint and having them chromed? Has anyone gone this route?

JR
Tony Meola

Re: Stainless Cowl Vents

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

I have not been able to find Stainless vents that I like.

I will say this, they are made of white metal, probably can not be chromed. I would Powder Coat them. Mine were white. I have painted them several times.
Soak the nuts really well. I snapped a couple of the studs on mine. You will not even realize they are twisting until it is too late. Then you can not get them out, need to drill and retap which is tough not much metal in that area.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Tony,

Thanks for the heads up on the studs. What would you soak the nuts/studs in to break them free?

I was thinking that if i have to paint them, maybe I could use a chemical paint stripper to remove the old paint and then roll and tip them in place so they won't need to be removed??

Here are a couple of stainless cowl vents I found online:

https://www.go2marine.com/product/20984 ... e8QAvD_BwE

https://www.go2marine.com/product/86587 ... TEQAvD_BwE

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko--c ... nt--255992 (This one is chromed zinc)

I'm not even sure these would fit. I'll have to take a few measurements next time I'm out at the boat.

JR
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

I would use any type of corrosion buster. Corrosion X, PB Blaster, Transmission Fluid cut with Mineral Spirits. Snapping the stud was on of those oh !@#$ moments.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

The Sead dog with the Plastic base might be the best bet. Especially for the forward vent. The current vent has a lip on it to keep water that is running down the gunnel from running into the boat.

When I painted mine, I used paint stripper and sand paper where needed. Cleaned them real well, used Mineral spirits then alcohol to make sure they did not have any oil on them. Used rattle can paint. Lasts a couple of years before it starts peeling.

That is why I say powder coat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks Tony,

I think I may try a pair of the Sea Dog stainless vents with the plastic base and see how that works.

JR
WAC

Post by WAC »

JR, I just finished my replacing my cowl vents yesterday. They are full stainless with 4" collars. I, like you searched high and low and could not find what I wanted. I didn't want plastic. So I found some on Alibaba and yes they are from China. I hate getting stuff from China but we don't make them here so I went ahead and ordered. Minimum order is 5 and total price with freight was $42.00 and change each. They look outstanding. I had to open the holes about 1/8" all around so just a 4" hole saw and repair the screw holes from the original vents. Once I figure out how to post a pic I can shoot one to you. Or let me know your email and I can send a pic. They are really shiny but they are really nice heavy stainless.
Let me know if you are interested.
Wayne Copeland
1972 Bertram 31 Flybridge Cruiser
1983 Boston Whaler Montauk
Project addict...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Wayne

Posting a pic on the site is easy. Use Imgur. Just open an account, and put up the picture on their site. Then you can just link it to this site and it magically appears. Heck if I could do it you can also.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
WAC

Post by WAC »

OK, Tony convinced me to try so here goes. Links to the pics of the cowl vents. No pics of them complete but pics of them slipped in where they will be.
They look sharp and with new 4" tubing there should be plenty of air and the water will end up in the bilge where I want it to go.
https://i.imgur.com/Z9STH4A.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/urVzUYD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5ykWTX6.jpg
Wayne Copeland
Project addict...
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Wayne,

Thanks for the information and pics. They do look great! It's funny, in the second picture, I thought there was a large scratch on your cowl vent, but after taking a closer look, it was the reflection of the outriggers on the boat next to you. Too bad they don't have the same footprint as the original vents--I can see the old screw holes from the old vents on the gunnel in pic #2. I sent you a P.M. with my contact information.

JR
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack follow Wayne's lead and redo the non skid. That will cover up the old holes.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
WAC

Post by WAC »

Jack, I sent you a pm. I was at the west coast rendezvous this weekend so I was out of touch. I polished them up today and forgot to take pics of the finished product. I will do so soon and post them.
Wayne Copeland
Project addict...
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I have 4 of these, chromed and never put into service. been wrapped in brown paper for close to 20 years now.
Be a shame to break them up.
they are Not bertram vents they came off my early 60s Century.

Raybo Marine NY

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Are you a dealer for them? Looks like dealers are far between up here in the NJ and NY area.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

my suppliers usually stock it but I see them all over online .
About $35-$37 each
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Thank You
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Cowl Vents -- again. Wayne Copland -- I am looking for 2 vents like yours. I searched Alibaba and can't find anything close and nothing close on Google either. I know it has been years, but do you remember the vendor name on Alibaba that supplied them?

I don't really care for the ones with the plastic base. Anybody else find some like Wayne's?
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Not available in stainless---- I think the early style clamshell design is ecstatically the prettiest although probably does not flow the most air.

in this pic---facing towards the stern

pic 3/20

https://www.hmy.com/yachts-for-sale/31- ... 3-hei-hei/
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Look closely they are running vents against the pillar and on the gunnel. I remember seeing the pillar vents on another boat and I believe they were on the original production boats for the first year or two only.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315