alexseal paint opinions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

alexseal paint opinions

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi, anyone had any experience with alexseal paint , reads well but whats the real life story?
Tony Meola

Re: alexseal paint opinions

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

I just had my decks re-done with Non skid and they used Alexseal on them. The guy that did it has been painting boats for a while and swears by it. He likes it better than IMRON. Color choices are about the same.

How it wears I by my experience, I can not say. The decks are now stored in my garage for the rest of the winter to be put back in when the weather warms up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I painted 4 boats with it. Initially I liked it. Less overspray little cleaner to spray. What I didn’t like was the coverage. It NEEDS the reduced to flow out but when you use the reducer as suggested the coverage suffers.
No fault of the paint but 3 of those boats returned for impact damage a year apart. 4th boat I have no idea where it is I did it for a dealer.
I got to see those boats and honestly I was not happy with how they were aging. They looked like they were many many years old. These were only the hulls. . One of my body shop buddies was painting his own boat and asked me to get him some alexseal. I suggested imron but he wanted the alexseal. 2 years later he felt the same- it doesn’t age well. So much so that even after I originally pleaded with him NOT to use it on the non-skid after year 3 he repainted the non-skid.

I repaired it a bunch of times with itself and with imron. It does repair but funny enough if you repair it with imron the imron had more gloss! I can’t blame age or wear and tear That was a brand new hatteras the dealer was Bringing to a tournament so there was no time to track down the alexseal color it needed to be repaired right away.

The reps and the company are great and they get their share of business , don’t think they will miss mine.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Robbie

If all goes well I will let you know 3 years from now how my decks hold up. Should be interesting to see.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

thanks so much , its so relevant getting first hand unbiased feedback from those who know and have experienced it first hand , Many thanks to all
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Tony he likes to really USE his boats and while he cares for them he doesn’t fuss over things , your results may vary
I remembered There was a 5th boat too but I have not seen that one either don’t know if it’s still owned by the same person.
Somewhere out there is a 36’ with a starboard side imron and a portside alexseal hull be interesting if I come across it again I know the boat was sold but don’t know where it ended up.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Raybo - I sent you PM
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Chris Havener

Post by Chris Havener »

Raybo Marine
I am going to paint my 26 Bert, I have sprayed Imron as far back 35 years ago. So going by memory it just seems like it's less shinny more orange peel now than before. I use Imron now mostly for touch up on my 48 Hatteras. I repainted they bridge of it 2 years ago and had more orange peel than I would have liked. The Imron I have been getting is call Imron Elite, my Dupont dealer said that is what replaces the original Imron.
So do you have an opinion on some of the new 2 part polyurethanes on the market like Quantum for example, compared to Imron. And is the Imron Elite the best Imron product for what we are doing.
Thanks
Chris