Transducer

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joe Vukan

Transducer

Post by Joe Vukan »

I own a Bertram 31 Bahia Mar, in the process of updating my depth recorder, just purchased Garmin echo chirp 94sv. It comes with a side scan transducer that is mounted off the transom, don't think I want to do that. If I buy a thru hull transducer, will I need to buy the pair for the side scan to work? Looking at the gt41 transducer.
cariedl

Re: Transducer

Post by cariedl »

I'd be interested in members thoughts on this too. I talked to a number of people when I bought my Raymarine unit this summer. The Raymarine technical help line told me I would need the $1400 split transducer for the unit to properly "scan" what is beneath the boat. Obviously, it struck me as an attempt to sell me a $1400 split transducer rather than the single. One marina told me that they could build a block towards the stern and mount the single transducer that would provide an accurate scan. I'm also a fan of only putting one hole in the boat rather than two, but I want it to work correctly.

So in short, I'm of no help, but I confident someone else will be along shortly to answer.

Thanks
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I asked Santa for the same Garmin unit. Torn between using the transom mounted transducer or thru hulls. Side scan would suffer without using two hull mounted transducers.

The transom transducer on my Scout (Garmin) works fine, but since I beach that boat routinely, I am always fixing the adjustment (kicks up). I think I will go with the transom unit that comes with the 94sv on my Bertram. I will not be beaching that boat very often.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I am looking to upgrade to a side scan unit, so last year I picked the brains of the reps at the Miami show. They all said you cannot use a transom unit on an inboard; the prop wash will disturb the signal. The Airmar rep said the key to having one transducer is having nothing lower on the hull on either side than the face of the transducer. I suggested moving the mounting block as close to the center of the boat as possible, right up against the keelson on the inside; that should put the transducer face even with the lowest part of the "V" of the hull. The rep said that should work just fine. Before I try it I intend to make a prototype block out of foam to make sure everything will fit before I start drilling holes in the bottom!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

why not thru hull
just saying
1968 hull # 316 - 757
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Tooeez wrote: They all said you cannot use a transom unit on an inboard; the prop wash will disturb the signal.
Good point. I forgot about all the running gear on a 31!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi