Dock lines

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Dock lines

Post by Dug »

I pulled the lines off Alchemy for the winter and have noticed some wear I cannot ignore any longer. Looking for an opinion poll, how long do most keep them before retiring them? Or at least relegating them to a secondary/backup role?

Just curious...

Side note, I run them through the washing machine at the end of the season. It leaves them soft and pliable, and better yet, clean.
Tony Meola

Re: Dock lines

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

I go by wear and how stiff they get. Have not tried the washing machine yet. I have a couple that are about 3 years old and too stiff so will probably swap them out in the spring.

How do you wash them> Do you put them in a pillow case?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Are these just mooring ropes, or permanent ropes that are constantly submerged? Or anchor rope? Or something else I may be unaware of?

I have 4-5 ten meter ropes that I use for mooring to the harsh/sharp edged concrete piers that we tie up to. These are sometimes damaged by friction, so every year I may change the one (or two) that is in the worst condition of them all. And I may commission it for a secondary use.
I put them in the washing machine too, I also use fabric softener in the end, so they come out soft and adequately aromatized ! I need 4 loads to do all the ropes. No pillow case.
Otherwise, ropes last a long time, also, now that ropes are not as expensive as they used to be, it is rather the hassle to go buy them, do the splice - if any-, burn the ends etc,rather than the cost.
The rope for my secondary anchor that is seldom used, or the ropes that I use for very special occasions, which may not be used at all during the season, I still wash those too. Also the man overboard ropes as well as all little ropes from here and there, elastic ropes, dinghy ropes etc, all get washed too.
I usually buy one size up for all tie-up ropes, so even if they are somewhat damaged during the season, I can still use them safely until I have to get rid of them.

It also depends on rope quality and material. Some ropes are more delicate (and expensive) but may be preferred over others because of their strength and lesser volume. These are probably more prone to be substituted faster that others.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Lars

Post by Lars »

Dug,
It all depends on rope quality and type of wear. I have twenty year old lines that are fine, and two year old ones that are worn out. Replace whenever they start to look worn and strands start fraying. Putting worn lines aside in the boat for backup is not a good idea though - you never know what duty you need that backup line for, and shouldn't trust yourself to remember it's a poor one. Better to have ample of the good stuff.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Lars wrote:Dug,
It all depends on rope quality and type of wear. I have twenty year old lines that are fine, and two year old ones that are worn out. Replace whenever they start to look worn and strands start fraying. Putting worn lines aside in the boat for backup is not a good idea though - you never know what duty you need that backup line for, and shouldn't trust yourself to remember it's a poor one. Better to have ample of the good stuff.
Dug
I 2nd the change them out as needed. I'll only keep good lines as 2ndary...or like in the case of a long spring line that has some chafe that rubs close to cleat...but balance of a long line is perfectly fine...cut before chafe lace the end and that will go into 2ndary travel line bag. I usually go a few years like this...then buy new matching diamond braid dock lines and a set of standard dock lines for travel...I may keep a couple extra older long lines just because they can come in handy.

Tony-
Washing machine is fine...also a nice big bucket, rinse a few times then add fabric softener and let sit a bit 2-3 beers time, churn 'em once in awhile then rinse and let dry. Makes a stiff, tough, rough backscratching rope into a babies blanket.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

If you are to rinse all boat ropes, you need a lot of buckets...and a lot of time changing water. A lot of beers too!
What kills the ropes is salt (when the rope dries, the leftover salt makes tiny crystals within the rope strands; upon re-using the rope next season, these salt crystals will "cut" the rope internally thus deteriorating its strength).
Try rinsing, as you suggest, and after the very last rinse and while the ropes are still wet, put your mouth on a rope and suck...it will still be salty!
Try the washing machine trick...they will not be salty.
My .05 eurocents.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis, I'll have to take a pass on sucking on the ropes...although I imagine could come in handy if I found myself in a circumstance without salt and having only a bottle of Tequila and Limes. Hmmm, does sound like a good party...pass the rope, or would it be pass the line if being used for a specific purpose??? Think best to call it a rope as the line thing could make for trouble.

Your right Yannis, ropes do come out better in the washing machine...but I have had good results in a bucket (think more of a party tub sized bucket), as well as a big fish cooler. I usually do my anchor line this way...I Bow into slip, with nose over dock then pull all line into bucket and let sit as I work on other things. By the end of the day the line is much better, I lay on dock giving a quick inspection, let it dray a bit before pulling it in.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Carl wrote:..handy if I found myself in a circumstance without salt and having only a bottle of Tequila and Limes. Hmmm, does sound like a good party...pass the rope
Let us know next time you throw a party! And invite a photographer..
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha, yeah, you bring the ropes from the fish cooler, I bring the chips !
Lars, you be the photographer !
Lars

Post by Lars »

Carl wrote: Think best to call it a rope as the line thing could make for trouble.
Ha. Took me a while, but I see what you did there... Yes, better stick to rope...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pictures may seem like a good idea...but better what memories may remain stay fuzzy.