Boat for sale wondering about value

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill Mckinnon

Boat for sale wondering about value

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

HI Guys,

Have posted in a while but I have a guy trying to by my boat. He has an offer in at 55K and I am asking 69K Boat has been redome with new Yanmars 315's in 2012 and have about 500 hrs on them . below is the link any thoughts from you guys?

Capt Bill
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Be ... ceuJr2Gbcs
Charlie J

Re: Boat for sale wondering about value

Post by Charlie J »

a few questions you have to ask your self
how long has she been on the market
how fast do you want to sell her
are you willing to wait possably another year
I personaly would come back with a counter offer and split it
the market has not been the greatest in the past 5 or so years maybe more
best of luck
1968 hull # 316 - 757
John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt. Bill-

I looked at Billfish when she was gasser in 2001 or 2002. Your broker should be able to give you comps as to what B31s have sold. The market for older sportys is not good--look at some of the B35 prices. Comps don't mean much unless you know the boat--and I'm guessing the guys here may know some of the boats that have sold and give you a better idea of condition. That said, Charley poses all the right questions that you have to ask yourself. I made an offer on a local 36 Hatt before I bought Crows Nest from Doug in 2013. In my view, the offer, which as $25K below ask, was fair because the boat was going to need a repower, and given the buyers in the market, which was pretty much me. The offer was turned down, and the Hatt is sitting unsold in the back of a boatyard 4 years later. I made two other "sort of" offers on other boats--sort of meaning that I thought the boats were priced way high and that I'd write an offer if the broker thought the owner would consider it. Brokers said not to bother. One boat sold for what I said I'd offer 12 months later, the other for what I said I'd offer (actually a few K less) 18 months later. By the time owners got real, I had bought Crows Nest. I sold the Anna E. for 25% below my ask, which was closer to 40% because I had done stuff to it while it was for sale. The offer was not crazy low, and in retrospect, was fair. There aren't a lot of buyers for old sportys, but it comes down to you. Consider Charley's questions. Good luck.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bill Mckinnon

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Thanks Guys

Broker thinks offer is to low. It is some Guy wanting to ship it to Japan. We had it listed originally at 90K do to all the updates including engines, It surveyed at 75K, I would be willing to take a little less but nothing below 68K I just looked at redoing another one and the Best price I could get on just the New Yanmars is 65K. Thanks for all the advice. Hope everyone weather all the storms okay

Capt Bill
Charleston SC
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bill,
It wasn't uncommon to see a boat sell under survey price. You can do a search on yacht world and see what comparable boats are listing for and sold for.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bill Mckinnon wrote:Thanks Guys

Broker thinks offer is to low. It is some Guy wanting to ship it to Japan. We had it listed originally at 90K do to all the updates including engines, It surveyed at 75K, I would be willing to take a little less but nothing below 68K I just looked at redoing another one and the Best price I could get on just the New Yanmars is 65K. Thanks for all the advice. Hope everyone weather all the storms okay

Capt Bill
Charleston SC

So as you already have motors and hull, maybe just redo this one...