Bahia Mar and Express Parts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mike Holmes

Bahia Mar and Express Parts

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I have been given, if I want it, the cabin top off a 1962 express, with all windows attached. I may take it for the side windows, which are original sliding glass in original frames in good shape. The front windows open, and don't look bad. I know the previous owner, can find out about rattles, leaks, etc. from him. If anyone is interested in the front and/or curved transition windows, it would make my decision easier. All were tinted from the inside with auto type film.

A boat yard down the creek from me has aquired the molds from Rey Cabrerra for deck, instrument/control pod, engine boxes, and hatch between the engines for Bahia Mars. The engine boxes are bench seats with back rests, and the module also has a raised mounting section at the front for helm seats. I saw pictures of a 31 Bahia Mar done by Willis Slane using these boxes - looked sharp. They plan to go into production of these parts, if the demand is there.

They also have the orginal mold for the Classic 31, the hull with the prop pockets, and are planning on building some boats from it. I looked at the mold this morning, looks good, just needs to be cleaned up.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Carl

Post by Carl »

Would that include the Express helm windshield? If so I'd be interested.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Helm windshield?

They took the helm windsheidl off, I'm sure it's around somewhere, but I didn't see it. I'll ask. I remember it also had windows that opened, but one pane might have been cracked. All my cabin and helm windows had been replaced with plexiglass, except the curved portions, and all were glued in place and are crazed. I glassed over the front, so I don't need those, and I have a plan for the helm windshield that does not require a better one, so if he has it, I don't need it.
Carl

Post by Carl »

My helm curved are crazed as well, frame is pretty well shot around them... so taking the frames apart to get new curved glass sections would probly have me looking for new frames as well. If its found great if not...its been on the list for many years now it can stay there a bit longer.
Thanks
Capt. Mike Holmes

Parts

To see the engine boxes and control pod these molds make, look on Yachtworld at the first 31 Bahia mar listed, the yellow hull. This is the Tom Slane version.

Sim, I'll check tomorrow. My frames are OK, but I'll probably leave them in place. If I take them off, I'll let you know (if we can't fidn these other ones.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Capt Mike, I think (I do that on occasion) that you ment tom Slane, as Willis Slane(who founded Hatteras and is Toms father) probably wouldn't have been caught dead on a RLDT as he had a low tolerance for snap rolls
Capt. Mike Holmes

Slanes

Timmy, you are rigth, of course. I caught myself after I posted that, wondered if you would catch it, too. I heard Tom was very happy to do that boat, said it was nice to work on a REAL boat occasionally! It's on Yachtworld. Pretty boat, nice work.
Harv

Post by Harv »

It looks as though those engine box/bench seats take away about 3 feet of cockpit space.
You can keep'em.

I do like the look of the helm console however.
Harv
Geaux Deep

Helm Station

Post by Geaux Deep »

Mike,

I saw a picture of " Sirina's" helm station and called Tom Slane in January trying to locate the mold. Tom told me to e-mail cabreaskits. I did send an e-mail but received no response.

I would like more information on the helm station and the availability of a cockpit deck for the Bahia Mar. - RH
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sim,
When you say your upper frames are shot, are they just cracked around the corners like stress cracks? You may own what was once a hard-top express. The hard top was beautiful but not well secured and it was heavy. The rear supports had no lateral support and it cracked tho windshield frame. Most were thrown away and replaced with soft tops. Dreamsicle is a hardtop express. When I got her I spent some $$$$ getting the frame welded up and faired. I intend to keep the hardtop and am putting an arch at the back to support it. Anyway the point is if its just cracks and crazed windows have it welded and American Marine will make you a set of windows. ASk for Jerry, tell him Mikey sent you. It won't help you but it might help me.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt. Mike Holmes

Parts

Harv, I think you are right about them extending into the cockpit. I think they are more for a "picnic" type boat than a fishing boat, but they are pretty. I couldn't use them on my express, but I am sort of interested in the instrument/control pod. I'll let everybody know when he's ready to start making them.

Randle, same molds. The deck modl may only work with those fancy engine boxes, I'll check. He's going to let me know as soon as he starts on the control pods. I'll keep you posted. Yachtworld has complete pictures of the yellow boat, inside and out, good close-ups of the boxes and panel.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Mike, of course its on yacht world, when the owner found what a snap rolling hunk of cr*p it was he decided to dump it. Heard he was looking to up grade to a carver or bayliner.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

you got a link? I'd like to see the pod
Capt. Mike Holmes

Pod

The best shot I've seen - the only one of a finished piece, was the one on Yachtworld.

Worst roll I've ever sen a boat do in miderately heavt seas was a 41 Hatt.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Timmy,

Sirina

Br,

Patrick
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Thanks Capt'n Pat. Some intresting stuff there. Not sure how the helm area could work on the tubb, still leaning towrads something like yours, I think. I'll have to give you a call for some ideas when I get closer(the way things are going son't xpect the call till next year)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Timmy,
If you want more pix of the Bahia Mar let me know. I have a bunch that Cabrera sent me when I was ordering for Dreamsicle. I'll send them to you.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Mikey that would be great.

Going in , in the am to get my shoulder scraped out. should be fun. This getting older stuff sucks. Whats it like to be pushing a hundred?? You or UV can feel free to let us know....
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Wow!!!!One weekend in Annapolis talking marlin and I missed the return of the Thuddd. What happened. Timmy your on a role. Talking crap like a champ (snow must have melted and revealed a clean bildge) Welcome back, no more doom and gloom.......... Be up there in May....
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Still lots of doom and gloom, and the potential of implosion, but what is one to do. Went to the tubb today. snow is gone. gotta figure how to reloft the shrink. forgot what a mess I left it in. Getting down there witha pressure washer.
You around next weekend? looks as if I'm doing a road trip.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I'll be here. Call and let me know whats goin on. You and momma are welcome to stop by, or you can misplace her show up and we'll go out drinkin........... Either way I'll get in touch with Neil and we can blame it all on him.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

timmyyyyyyyyyyyy I got my new motors in the 25 this week we would love to take you and jp for a ride on the 25 RlDT jr will capt
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Timmmmy,
Sorry I felt sorry for your shoulder. Old is a state of mind and . . . oh never mind. By the by, Vic is exactly one year older than me, so ask him about old.

How are the drugs treating you. make you weirder in the head? They will make you fall off your stool and . . .oh never mind.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Other than the leg you are well preserved Mikey! Thudd, I hope the shoulder recovery goes well.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

thanks guy. this generic oxicontin stuff is not all its cracked(now theres a idea) up to be. better buzzzzzz from scotch. this stuff just has me edgy.
Neil the motors going to be in?
Looks like I'll be down fri.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Timmy,
The generic oxy didn't work for me either Get the real stuff, it might set you back more money but it really works. The voice of experence speaking. I've off to Boston tonight, have appointments at Mass General tomorrow to see what they can do with the knee problem, after 11 times of cutting and 2 replacements I'm still having pain and swelling. Keep drinking the hard liquor or take a ride to a Lawrence street corner and get the real stuff. I'm bringing my long johns the weather up there looks more like January than April. Hope you feel better soon.
Pete Fallon
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good luck Pete! That sounds rough!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Pete

How long are you up here? Are you gonna be visiting thudd or he coming down to see to mass gen to see you? Let me know, would like to hook up with you while in the area.

Best of luck
Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Pete, how long you up for? Gotta go see JP and Capt Jr this weekend(scew Neil, he don't rate) After that I'd love to repay the niceness you showed me and whats her name at the Liquerdale thing.