1988 54' Bertram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

longfin

1988 54' Bertram

Post by longfin »

Hey I could use some opinions. I've been on this site since pretty close to the beginning, long enough to remember Uncle Vic way before Katrina ! I've owned my 31 since 2003 extensively refit the boat about 5 years ago and she has served us really well. My kids are grown up and I'm just beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel career wise, Private Equity group swooped in and bought my business and now life changes ! I have an opportunity to slide into a 1988 Bertram 54 that is super clean and has been maintained with an open checkbook. I hate to admit it but I have been looking at and passed up a couple Viking 53's both MAN powered with tired Iron. The Bertram has 12V92's that are mid life but maintained. We need the 3 stateroom layout at least my wife says we do. The boat is a beast and easily can top out at about 27 knots and cruises 20 no problem (burning an insane amount of fuel). It's configured to cruise and fish the West Coast and Mexico, great electronics, water maker, all the fun stuff. I've looked at a lot of boats Viking, Hatteras, Buddy Davis, even a Post. I never considered a 54 and I honestly don't know why, I guess other boats are just more aesthetically pleasing to me.
Navatech

Re: 1988 54' Bertram

Post by Navatech »

Assuming you're looking at non souped up engines (i.e. around 850 HP/engine assuming they're the TI version) you're looking at what are basically good engines... Albeit thirsty ones...

Parts are available (for a long time to come as there are literally tens of thousands of them still in use) and not crazy expensive...

Having said that, assuming you really need the 3 cabins there are other options... E.g. the Bertram 46' "Galley Up" version...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The 54 is probably one of the best sea boats ever built.

I always thought that if I ever had the money to burn scenario fall into my lap, I would get an old 54 and have at her, updating and customizing.

She will take almost anything the ocean can throw at her.

Unless you go custom, I would not hesitate.

I do agree with Nav on the engines. I wonder how she would be with more modern Iron. Probably pick up speed and lower consumption, but that is an expensive conversion.

If I remember right there use to be a member who went by Bert 28 or Bertram 28 and he picked up a 54 down in Texas. I want to say about 5 years ago. Look up his email on the members listing and shoot him a note. I believe he had some good things to say about her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Longfin,
I agree with Nav and Tony, great sea boat and it raises bill fish. A friend runs one in Fl, and spends a lot of time in Mexico Cancun . I don't care for the light wood interior, make sure the water maker filter system has been maintained properly. Lot's of boat compared to a 31' Tons of systems to keep you busy. Have the engines and gen set surveyed by a qualified diesel guy.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
longfin

Post by longfin »

Thanks for the reply's. The motors are 1050 HP Non DDEC completely mechanical. I did a sea trial yesterday, snotty weather blowing pretty well and some wind chop and I was truly amazed at the ride. Anybody that has ever called a 31 a wet boat clearly hasn't been on a 54 ! The boat was 65,000 lbs. in the slings with 1/4 fuel I imagine that has something to do with the ride. I'm leery of the stainless water tank under the cockpit looks like bottom seem is starting to weep. Aluminum fuel tanks forward of the mains look good. Pete you are dead on I think it's going to be a second career just figuring out the systems. I've grown up with Detroit powered boats (871TI's) super reliable and very predictable if taken care of, I know the 92 series is a different animal but I'm guessing same principals apply, don't let them get hot and run them like you hate them. In frame rebuilds are a bargain compared to MAN's, I can pour a lot of fuel through them for the cost difference.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Longfin,
Is the boat the one that is advertised from the broker in Newport Beach ( Crow's Nest Yacht Sales)?
Pete Fallon
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

longfin wrote:The motors are 1050 HP Non DDEC completely mechanical.
AFAIK DD didn't have DDEC's back in 1988, if they were DDEC that would have meant a repower... Where did the HP information come from?!... It sounds a bit high... Which might mean that these are souped up (e.g. Johnson & Towers a.k.a. Junk & Trash) motors... I'd be very weary of the souped up versions... Do they have "dry" or "wet" turbos?!...
longfin wrote:I'm leery of the stainless water tank under the cockpit looks like bottom seem is starting to weep.
That's ONE thing I wouldn't worry about... They're not that difficult or expensive to replace...
longfin wrote:I know the 92 series is a different animal
They're not identical but they have VERY MUCH in common... Including many identical parts...
longfin

Post by longfin »

Pete that's the one. The boats been in Panama and Costa Rica for the past 5 years.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Longfin,
Make sure that the boat has a clear title, in order to be registered the U.S. it's got to have clear paperwork and all back taxes have to be paid before being sold in the states. I tried to pull up the listing again but I can't find it now? There is a 54 that is a 1985 still listed for $249,000 same brokerage as the 1988, that boat was also in the Costa Rica/ Mexican area as a charter boat. Did you buy the 1988?
Pete Fallon
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

1988 6v92's made 565 hp. It stands to reason if you bolted two of them together as a 12v92 it would make over 1000 hp

The 12v71 was a lower hp engine but should be around 820 based on its sub components

Only thing better sounding than a 12V92 at cruise speed. Is a cold 671 loping at idle trying to warm up, white smoke everywhere, brings back memories.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
matlos

Post by matlos »

Longfin hi,

I have a bertram 54 '86 model. This was fitted with 900HP 12v71's, tuned up by key power, so 1,050 HP from 12v92's sounds about right... I don't know about the '88 model, but on mine I had issues on the air intake to the engine room resulting in v. high exhaust gas temperature leading to problems with the exhaust hoses, etc. Worth checking on your one. I cured this by derating the engine slightly (changed injectors) so about 850-860HP and installing additional (very large) blower. Fuel consumption at 20kts is about 270-300 ltrs/hr. (70-80 gal/hr).

Otherwise, its a true open sea boat, with amazing performance and ride!
B31 SF 1963 Greece