The new Bertram 35 artist's rendering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

The new Bertram 35 artist's rendering

Post by IRGuy »

There is a nice color drawing of the new Bertram 35 in the recent (March 2016, page 76) issue of "Soundings" magazine, along with a brief article.

This new design is based on the Bertram 31, with twin Cat C7.1 460 HP engines, with a displacement of 20,800 lbs, and a beam of 12'5". Top speed is predicted to be 40 knots with half a load.

I want one!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Preston Burrows

Re: The new Bertram 35 artist's rendering

Post by Preston Burrows »

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

All the drawings show a sweet looking boat. Now if it runs as good as it looks it will be a winner.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I am looking at this new 35 over and over and I admit I admire its lines; however something looks a bit strange to me and I think I can put my finger on it.

This 35 looks exactly like a blown-up 31. Everything is blown up by x % so that the 31 symmetry is not lost. The fb is wider, the rear deck is bigger etc.etc. The engine boxes are bigger also, to accomodate those bigger engines alright. But in a bigger boat like this one there shouldn't be a need to increase the size (the height more specifically) of these boxes by so much, if it were not so clear that this is done so just to keep the 31 proportions. In other words, the engines will anyway be bigger, but these boxes seem way bigger to me, just so that the overall symmetry is not lost. My idea for a 35 would be that the engines could very well fit under a flat deck, but I think they thought that this wouldn't look 31ish, so they made it like this. In how many 35 ft boats is the engine box top surface almost level with the gunnel?
On the other hand, if someone offered her to me as a present, I would not let this detail bother me much !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Yes the design was to try and copy the 31 as close as possible but upgrade the design also.

The above deck box's have advantages and disadvantages. Biggest advantage is making it easy to work on the engines, biggest disadvantage is taking up space.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Yannis,
I have been in touch with Tommy Thompson at Bertram they have already made some changes In the mock up of the new boat, The fly bridge ladder has been moved to the top of the Starboard engine box so as to not obstruct the view from the dinette while your seated at the dinette while looking out the aft bulkhead window, they have also have reduced the size of the aft windows . The head is on the port side forward of the dinette seating which is over 7' long and the head has 6'3'' of standing headroom,. with a vanity sink and electric flush system. The galley area is to starboard with a 2 drawer refrigerator/ freezer and a countertop electric cooktop and sink lot's of countertop space and storage below. The forward stateroom has a queen berth to port with the hanging locker door doing double duty as a head door and closes off the forward cabin, no cheap draw curtain here, forward cabin has 6' 4'' headroom, one step down from the galley. They have listened to the old owners of the classic 31's and kept the profile low and lines as clean as possible. I will send pictures of the mock ups that Tommy T. sent me as soon as I can figure out how to post them to the bulletin board.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:I will send pictures of the mock ups that Tommy T. sent me as soon as I can figure out how to post them to the bulletin board.
Feel free to email them to me... I'll be more then happy to put them up on the board...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Pete,
Pete Fallon wrote:and kept the profile low and lines as clean as possible.
...which except for the classy visual result, it exposes much less profile surface to the wind, which in turn renders docking and maneuvering easier, which in turn means that despite its size, this boat could be commanded solo. It's great to know that even if nobody wants to come along, you can still leave port and dock somewhere alone ... great indeed.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the caterpillar C-7 is essentially the older 3126 that meets tier four stardards . a 3126 can fit in a OEM. 31' engine box in height but not overall length due to starter motor/electrical control box in rear of engine. installed with engine gears just 1" off bilge to take maximum advantage of cetroid of gravity and least amount of shaft angle (10 degrees) the box would only have to be 8" longer to accommodate c-7 and by the photo`s thats just what they did.my humble opinion is the raise engine boxes are a big plus because they are better then regular padded seating you would have on a cruiser of this type because you can strecth out with legs up and back supported by bulkhead on a long run with the advantage of complete engine access with box open.--------whats not to like?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

bob lico wrote: ......my humble opinion is.........
Bob .... I've never heard a humble opinion from you (don't get pissed off, because all of us are laughing ... with you not at you) :-D
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bob,

I didn't say that I don't like it. I said it seems a bit out of proportion to have such voluminous engine boxes in a 35.
The 30 fb configuration, whereby only 25 cm of the box's height is visible would perhaps look more appropriate - the 35 is much bigger than the 31, there ought to be more space under the deck - is it maybe that the prop pockets consume part of that needed space, who knows...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech,
Send me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you, so you can post them. My e-mail is fal4artbts@aol.com.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Ok, it looks like a b31
but it's more money
Has more room
Is faster, except for licos cause nothing is faster than that
But at the end of the day I see the same problem the 31 had
Rod storage
Tackle storage
Bait storage
Catch storage
Once you build a step down hull you loose allot of space
One could repurpose a B35 with 550 hp qsb6.7's and get/make all the storage and be 200k to the positive.

But then again I'm probably the small percentage of boaters that has that patience to make old new again.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp there is the "Gruden Dude" from CA. with twin QSB. twin turbo 420hp cummins at 40 knots plus. i waited 9 years for you to show up at bertram rendenvous with your boat your son appear but you never show ,why?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

You guys are great, however If I'm running the boat 100+ miles it's going fishing not tying up to sip cocktails. Remember You've been invited to come down and fish for 9 years as well sir.
And to stay on topic, I hope the 35 sells well.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

You guys have it all wrong. All this talk about fishing or cocktails. It should be fishing and cocktails.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Roger that Kevin.......
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

So we can call it a tournament. I'm down with that
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I concur with JP on his comment that he hopes all goes well with the 35' , are there any other 35' ish twin inboards entering the market. I heard 700$ big ones, put a tower, electronics, teak deck, covering boards, transom,gen set, a/c , battery charging systems, frig, windlass,swim platform ,outriggers, and you can be pushing 800$ . Today's boaters/, hedge fund type are more inclined to buy a chorox bottle with 4 big outboards , they aren't nostalgic and have no idea what a moppie is/was. I think it's a big financial risk they have taken on. my opinion!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete got these pictures from Tommy Thompson a while ago and had a problem posting them so I'm giving a helping hand...

Navatech

Post by Navatech »

More pictures emailed to me by Pete.