Calling Pete Fallon about vents

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ed c.

Calling Pete Fallon about vents

Post by ed c. »

Back in December you recommended using the flush vents. I just edited this. I went on line to Attwood Marine regarding the flush vent and found a drawing using the goose neck about 4 " above the vent. All my questions were answered by the detailed installation instructions. The old connections were made using copper bent to shape the goose neck.
Pete Fallon

Re: Calling Pete Fallon about vents

Post by Pete Fallon »

EDEC,
The flush mounted fuel vents (also can be used for waste and water tanks) were made by either Acorn Marine or Gem marine. These were all stainless steel with a 90 degree goose neck. They were all high quality products, The flush mounts save you from replacing the old style that stuck out about an inch from the hull. Also the design keeps mud dobber wasps from building nests inside the old type vents. They still have the required flame screens, but you can't see them. The vents that I used had a removable center cap for cleaning if needed. The newer style have a built in burpper recovery system so no fuel goes into the water.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Just in case somebody reads this in the future: note, this is not about a 31' Bertram but rather about 46' Bertram...

Talking about vents, the two water tanks that I have under the cockpit deck (on either side of the battery compartment) were originally (as I purchased the boat) vented into the bilge... I don't like that idea... There are no vents anywhere near the tank's location...

I was thinking of connecting both vents together (with a T fixture) and routing the resulting single vent line to a new vent (to be put in)... As opposed to venting each tank individually to the nearest side... Any reason I shouldn't do this?!... And, aside from making sure there's a sufficient anti-syphon loop, what should I consider doing?!...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech,
How are you going to tell when each tank is full, unless you put a check valve in the line which will defeat the purpose of the vent. It will also slow down the fill rate with a T in the line. Bite the bullet and plumb each tank separately. Did you ever find a base plate for that fighting chair?
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:How are you going to tell when each tank is full
All three tanks (the stainless steel one in the ER and the two plastic ones on either side of the battery compartment) are all interconnected... One fills up - all fill up... Law if interconnected vessels...
Pete Fallon wrote:It will also slow down the fill rate with a T in the line.
Considering the flow of water in most marinas, getting the air out of the tank won't be a problem... Plus, the plastic tanks are plumbed for 1" vents... Back pressure won't be an issue even with the T in the line...
Pete Fallon wrote:Did you ever find a base plate for that fighting chair?
For $350.00 I found (on THT) a baseplate, a stanchion and a seat that won't need any work :-)