Coffee in my fuel?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Coffee in my fuel?

Post by Kevin »

Drained the racors of the tank today. Filled a beer mug with each filter. On the bottom(seperated very quickyl) there was what looked like coffee. I pulled the diesel fuel off the top with a rag and the blackish colored stuff also appeared to be slighty thicker than diesel. Any ideas? Is it normal?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You might have the beginnings of an algae growth from the combination of moisture and warmth. See what the other guys think. I attacked mine with a shock treatment of Bio-Bore and then an oz for every 40 gallons on fill ups. Walter
CMP

Post by CMP »

Walt's right-Bio-bore is a good idea to get going, but be sure you carry at least a 5 gal jug of diesel and a few pairs of filters. Spend the $$$ on a fuel analysis at the same time so you can have a differential diagnosis on what the core issue is, but I bet Walt hit it...

CMP
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

So is the algae like water as far as the filter is concerned? What I am trying to say is, since there was only about 4 table spoons in each filter, do i need to drain filter frequently until the algae has cleared up with bio bore?

Is the algae actually going through the engine, or does filter remove it as it does water?
Does algae hurt performance or affect oil quality/life expectancy?
Does Biobore and similar additives make algae in the tank dissapear, or simply stop further growth?

Thanks for the help, now that I have diesels, I need to learn more about them.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Algae

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

You proabbly are seeing some algae, switching from gas to diesel will do that. Biocides will kill it, but it will remain in your tank, eventually end up in the filter. Keep checking the filters, consider Algae-x units, they treat the algae magnetically, bust the stuff up where it will "burn" through the system. I ended up pumping my tank dry and filtering it back in after my repower. It can be a pain in the ass, but it can be taken care of.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
In Memory Walter K

I wasn't kidding that there was a "Shock Treatment" which is a heavier dose of Bio-Bore that is given as a first dose treatment. The later treatments with each fueling keep it under control. Somewhat like diesel athlete's foot...stop treating it and it probably will come back. I've kept mine under control for several years now. Your filters do catch it and it's there where you first realize you have it. Conversely, if you see at later filter changes that there is less or none of it, you know the Bio-Bore is doing it's job. Read the instructions on the label as the first dose is usually based on the size of your tank. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
Before you start adding any biocides, make sure it is just not some sludge from the tank bottom.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

One of the 33 guys was getting the coffee grounds out if his racors for a couple of years. His is a 1978 gas boat, and he was getting this prior to using a drop of ethanol. We pulled his tank last fall and after opening it up found that it was most likely coming from the rivets that hold the baffles in place.

I think the bottom line is that these tanks may not be the undestructable beasts we thought they were (ethanol effects aside). Maybe they do in fact have a certain shelf life or maybe Bertram made a few stink-a-roos over the course of time?
Regards,

Doug L.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Forget the biobore and all that algae killing stuff. That coffee ground stuff is just the normal degradation process of diesel. The best thing you can do is get a box of filters, have a half-full or less fuel tank, wait for a really bad day and run the pi$$ out of it. When I got my 35B it had the same coffee grounds in the filters. A fellow 96 years old owned the boat and she did not get run much. Then only on flat bluebird days. I would clog a filter in less then 2 hours of running. Then 5 hours then 10 hours and now never. My Cats return lots of fuel to the tank so as you use the boat the fuel gets polished. I do use Power Service in the white bottle with every 100 gallons of fuel added. It is more for the pump then anything else.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

I ve been getting that same coffee looking stuff ... Think its just diesel crap.
I ve got racor 500s with Dahl (I know) before them ,with big plastic bottoms..Im trying to forestall the fuel storm comming.
Wayne
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

i was getting in my gsa filters--thought it was the crud in the bottom that the ethanol was breaking down.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Forgot to mention I had starbright bio stuff in the tank already. The tank is about half full now. Would love to go run the snot out of it, but there is no oil in the crank case. Sid from Steyr told me right before I did my oil change that Steyr said for warranty purpose that they now allow Mobil 1 5W 50 and Shell Rimula 10 40 instead of just Steyr oil. Turns out like a dumbass, I emptied the crank case and then went to the store to buy oil and nobody has it. Research online revealed that the Mobil 1 5 50 stuff is a European blend. I.E the sports cars in Europe use it but it is not mainstream in the states.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Oil burners don't have ethanol in the fuel yet. The first time you see this stuff you go WTF. It's just crap left over sitting in the tank from a normal process of degradation and not running the boat a lot.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Ok then. Glad I have nothing to worry about. Now I can concentrate on how to get some "phantom oil" for the crank case. Thanks for all the input guys!
In Memory Walter K

Shell Rotella 10-40 should be easy to find. It's even sold in places like Costco. Walter
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yes, I can get that here in the keys. I was told Shell Rimula? for the warranty. Midas well stay fully synthetic, it came that way from the factory. I have tons of other work to do on the boat anyways. So far I guess that is the only downside with Steyr, but not a big deal. When I find the oil I will buy lots of it.
In Memory Walter K

I hadn't heard of Rimula. Thought you meant Rotella in your earlier post. Rimula is Shell's all synthetic brand?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kevin,

Try contacting Shell Oil Co. for distribution...

Shell Info Website 800-782-7852

Br,

Patrick
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

walter
i thought the same thing, thats what i use rotella
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Just found some literature on shell rimula. Apperently, it is also made to meet the European standards of high performance engines, what ever that means. If one oil is better than the other, shouldn't everyone use it? Why would Mobil 1 5W 50 be approved, but then Shell 10W 40 also be approved. If the the 10W 40 shel is able to meet the standard, is it a better quality than the Mobil version of approved oil? Why these two oils are the only ones approved, other than Steyr, make no sense........to me anyways!

Called Shell and need to wait until monday to speak wtih real person.