Is a galley sink REALY necessary??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

How much do you actually use your galley sink for the purpose a sink is designed to do?

Always
15%
Often
26%
Occasionally
21%
Seldom
13%
Never
26%

Total votes: 39

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Is a galley sink REALY necessary??

Post by CaptPatrick »

OK, Guys,

I'm thinking of cabinetry design in the cabin of the B31. One thing that keeps popping into my mind is the galley sink.

I've fished aboard a bunch of B31s, spent 2 nights on one in leiu of a high dollar hotel room, and visited & worked aboard many of 'em.

Other than as a systems check for functionality, I've never seen the galley sink used for anything other than as an open air container for housing asundry items including trash, cameras, sun tan/block lotions, quart bottles of various solutions, etc.

Mostly the galley sink seems to just sit there empty longing for the day that someone will actually use it as a sink...

So my question is:

Is the galley sink, on a B31, really a usefull and necessary element or is it just there because "Well, it's a 'galley' so I guess it oughta' have a sink..."?

On a Sportfish model, with the head in the V-berth, the galley sink makes more sense because it's the ONLY sink aboard. Same is true for the Bahia Mar.

But the other models are usually fitted with two sinks within a cabin of less than 60 sq ft.

Most B31s are probably fitted with at least a salt water wash down system, and many also have access to fresh water in the cockpit. So rinsing hands and an occassional coffee mug is not sink dependant.

Take the Poll and let's see if the galley sink REALY is a necessary item...

Comments also welcome!

Br.

Patrick
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Well, I'm a sink man. I use mine all the time especially when we are away from the dock for a one to three day trip. I guess one could live without one, but I've been conditioned.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I took mine out and made a tackle station because all we used the sink for was to store lead and lures anyway. I dont miss it at all.
scot

Post by scot »

Brewster,

that's just what you needed....more tackle on board.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It becomes an issue only when my wife is aboard. I'd love to make a fitted cover for it so as to have more flat space.just been too lazy to make one. If I did I'd have it double as a cutting board. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What if its raining out and someone is already in the head?
John F.

Post by John F. »

No need for a galley sink for me.

John F.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

It's worth having to me, I use it often, but I have a Sportfish.

ScottD (Glad nascar is starting, now that I have a DVR)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ditto Scott's comment.....I have a Sportfish and I use mine occasionally;, but mostly it's a deep storage bin to keep things secure on a rough ride.

tommy
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

mine is usually full of tools @ cprrosion x
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

dont have one, tackle space in its place, also have a sink in the head that never gets used either, in fact i have never put any water in that tank
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Sink bowl cut out, garbage can under the old hole.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harv

Post by Harv »

I have 2 sinks on my Bahia Mar.
Both get used. Head sink has a shower attachment on it.
Now I need a water heater.
Harv
Hal

Post by Hal »

My 35 doesn't have one and I miss it all the time. But my question, Captain Pat, is what were they originally designed for? I thought that Bertram designers, in their infinite wisdom, designed an impressive multi-purpose device. It makes a great catch all and a good place to pour out the last bit of warm beer before tossing the bottle in the trash. It's a great place to keep sunblock, knives, lead, etc., and once cleaned out you can actually clean dishes before putting them away. Best of all, its a necessary item for cleaning salt spray off my costas and washing the skin-so-soft off my face in the am!
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

A great catch all in a Sportfish. You could get rid of the sink and the toilet as it also is never used.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Need the sink for my wife. And that's one reason I still have the boat.
A/K/A El Gaupo
nic

Post by nic »

I was always a no-water/no-sinker but I changed my mind. Easier to clean up after entertaining, ladies expect it and NOT having one in the galley starts a lot of stupid conversations.

Nic
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine is a glorified junk holder!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Patrick: My galley sink is counter sunk an inch or so and a formica clad cover fits down and flush with the rest of the counter top. Blends right in. When removed, it mounts on the inside of the undersink cabinet door out of the way. I very seldom use the cover since I use the sink a lot, but on occasion it is nice to have all that additional counter space (and storage under the cover in the sink). Instead of formica, might be nice to make the cover a cutting board.
Eddy G.
Last edited by Eddy G on Feb 12th, '07, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Dug

Post by Dug »

50% of the time it is used, the rest it holds stuff.

If I am doing an offshore trip, none of the guys use it, and it holds the food bag in place.

If I am doing anything else, it is nice to rinse small things off, particularly if we are just out hanging around on the boat.

So I would keep it. I am not sure I need 2 however... And I don't drink the water out of the tank. One of these days I will plumb in the hose inlet so I can have domestic water from the dock when we want to. That would be good. And Harv, I know the feeling on the water heater. I have to replace mine. Other priorities...

D
MikeD@Lightningshack

why not?

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

My galley is stacked so High with junk, when we are offshore that I can't even find it, never mind the sink. I would never think about using the sink out there, for fear of getting the open bag of preztzel sticks soggy.

At the dock it is a different boat, and a different story... I use it to brush my teeth, wash my hands, and clean up various items like the knife used to slice the corona limes, just about every summer night.

And yes it is a "Gally" so it has to have a sink to retain it's name.

Overrated but handy, and not in the way, Yes you can live with out it, but why bother, I guess it all depends on what you putting in it's place.

A blender be handy, especially if you could find one that could chunk up butter fish while offshore too.

Mike
Lightningshack.com
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you didn't have a sink where would you wipe all the stuff that spills on the counter?

Where would you shove the bottles and breakables when you realize the trip is gonna be a bit rougher then expected?

Where would you dump the rancid bait juice? You know the stuff from the bait you left in the freezer, the same stuff you swore you would never leave in there again... because every time you do the power goes out on the hottest days. The stuff as you walk down the dock you smell ten boats away and you think...hmmm I am a real &^%*(% cause I did it again!!!

Besides if you remove the sink you lose an entire room, it would just be a counter and a counter don't make it a galley.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I usually take everything with me heading offshore including the kitchen sink, (YES) include the sink, you never know when you'll need it.

DQ
Mike Moran

sink

Post by Mike Moran »

I use mine a lot, grand kids use it, my wife would not be without it. Mike
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Don't have one but use the head sink all the time. Galley sink with the head sink would be a waste in my opinion but it's all personel preference.
Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Garry

Post by Garry »

Capt Patrick,

I agree with you space is a premium in a B31 and at best given the tight space is marginal for overnighting. The galley sink in my old Bahia Mar was to store junk and the sink in the head only saw minimal use. My vote is never and you should design something without one.

Garry