Cockpit Scuppers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

nic

Cockpit Scuppers

Post by nic »

I need to put scuppers on the transom - you should see the water we ship backing up!

Searching the old board seems to suggest:

1. Original chrome bordered rectangle with diamond pattern rubber from Hightide Marine (but they're not on his site anymore);

2. Sea Stop scuppers with the angled wedge but can you paint them?;

Any other suggestions/comments?

I tried the Gemlux same as Bob Lico but they just don't fit because of our boarding platform/marlin board in the way from an earlier refit.

Thanks guys

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
CaptDana

lots of opinion here

Post by CaptDana »

Well- I had the OEM flaps on my 28 b for over 20 yrs- last winter I get the brainy ideal to go to Sea Stop- Put the angle wedges in etc. Well- first thing I noticed- they are very noisy when the water hits them- also my flaps don't seem to want stay closed- I ended up putting stick on aluminum tire weights on them - Last season- we ended up putting a small towel in each one most of the time to keep it from backflowing on the full gas tank following sea days. Still up in the air on this one- If I could find the OEM rubber- I probably would switch back. Just my half a cent

2 foot snow drifts Saturday morning here in Michigan.
Capt Dana
Dana Bonney
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I have seen a few boats with a piece of neoprene and a piece of half round stainless steel insert.

the insert is already drilled and does a good job of holding the neoprene.

you could even use the neoprene that came with the gemlux scuppers if you cant find a piece somewhere else.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I use a lightweight rubber over the outer scupper and inside the boat I use a second scupper mounted inside the transom molding, the large pce the deck sits on. Now the well may fill up but it drains before coming into the boat.

Just using one on the outside I always have water washing in from any ripple hitting the transom. I tried hard, soft, med durometer rubber, neoprene, urethane etc etc
scot

Post by scot »

I use the Sea Stops on my SeaRay that's for sale, they turn dull yellow in 2-3 years or so from the UV's. The sticking action is corrected by filing the square top of the flapper into a round contour. They work fine...but look cheap in my opinion.

I have made a set of the SS retangles for my current Bertram project. Cut, drilled and polished them to a shine from a piece of 1/4" SS plate. It takes a fair amount of time but if your patient and have basic hand tools they will come out nice.

Go watch "American Chopper" and you will be inspired to build anything yourself....in your garage with whatever tools you own.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
scot

Post by scot »

Here's a shot of the home made ones..
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
nic

Post by nic »

Thanks guys,

I wasn't sure about the Sea Stops, thanks for the skinny.

Danny at Hightide came back to me overnight, he has the originals in stock $94ea and with a narrower border they look like they'll fit so I'm going to go that way and see how they stand up.

I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"