Teak trim

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

Teak trim

Post by JimmyG »

I have to replace the teak trim that borders the head liner in the cabin….can this be purchased? I had a great wood worker that made them once before for me but unfortunately the ole timer passed on
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Teak trim

Post by CaptPatrick »

can this be purchased?
Nope...
Dug

Post by Dug »

Jim,

Mine was cracking and breaking all the time, especially where the screw holes were. I am hoping at some point in the next few years to replace my headliner all together. But, in the meantime I actually made mine out of starboard. It came out ok. Its cleanable. It looks good from a couple feet away...

Hope that helps.

Dug
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Dug wrote:Jim,

Mine was cracking and breaking all the time, especially where the screw holes were. I am hoping at some point in the next few years to replace my headliner all together. But, in the meantime I actually made mine out of starboard. It came out ok. Its cleanable. It looks good from a couple feet away...

Hope that helps.

Dug
LOL good from far but far from good! I knew some girls like that. Capt.Pat I look forward to your eloquent and articulate answers "Nope…." is all you got LOL, I might have to give it a whirl
Dug

Post by Dug »

Exactly! And as usual the Captain is spot on.

Yeah, its either you give it a go, or find a REALLY good cabinet maker!
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Forget the wood. Go to one of the canvas people in your area and pick up cloth trim , 1" wide or larger. It comes in various widths and colors. Good Luck
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Don't listen to Dug he's loaded

- sorry it was too easy
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Jimmy G,
I redid the teak trim in the cabin over head a few years ago, The straight sections aren't to bad to make, but those curved pieces are very time consuming and a pain in the ass to make. I'm lucky enough to have a small band saw and a good table saw and nice router with a table and fence, it makes the job go a lot easier with the right equipment. I also have an in with MR Marine Woods here in Stuart, they have some of the nicest teak around, just ask Resolute owner Bob Higgins, that's where his teak covering boards came from. To make the sweeping curved corners near the front windows you have to find some 15 to 18 inch wide boards to get enough for the long curves, for such little trim sections it can really put a dent in your wallet.
Getting back to making the trim pieces try and same the old ones to use as patterns and take your time when making the new ones. I found that Gorilla glue works well if you have some cracked or broken sections. When you re-install the pieces make sure to pre-drill and counter sink the screw holes so you don't crack them when trying to work over your head. The worst pieces are the 90 degree bends at the corners near the head door behind the galley countertop.
A word of caution if you have to take down the old plywood covered with boat cloth headliner material, watch out for the mold that might have been growing on the back side of the plywood over the years, always wear respirator mask it will seriously make you sick if you breath it in when taking down the overhead panels. I made my overhead panels out of 3/8" gel coated core matt instead of using plywood. It's totally washable , won't rip if you hit it with a gaff head or reel seat studs and it shines and brightens the cabin up.
An idea if you can't find someone to make them or don't have the equipment, contact your local high school wood working instructor if they still have that kind of program in your school system. You have to supply the materials but it's a good project for the kids to get woodworking experience. Good luck with your project.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:MR Marine Woods here in Stuart
Pete, do you know of a similar vendor closer to Hollywood, FL? I want to purchase a slab of teak (I want to add a launcher to the back of your old chair, the rod holders will be combined cup/rod holders).
John F.

Post by John F. »

Jimmy,

FWIW, on the Anna E. I used the old headliner as a template, and with a spiling stick (I think that's what they're called--I used a tongue depressor) I marked up the old headliner so that it fit without the teak trim, transferred the spiled marks on to a new headliner, and cut and fit it. It worked out pretty well.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Jimmy, think out of the box, save time and money..
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech,
There is a company in Pompano can't think of the name right off hand, Did I give you the brackets that fit into the chair back slots so you can put a bait prep station on the back of that chair. I f I didn't I'll get them to you.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Pete Fallon wrote:Navatech,
There is a company in Pompano can't think of the name right off hand, Did I give you the brackets that fit into the chair back slots so you can put a bait prep station on the back of that chair. I f I didn't I'll get them to you.
Pete Fallon
No Pete you didn't but I would like that info. I found 2 extra corners (one front and one back) that I must of had made back when I originally had them done in the 90's now to try and duplicate them
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:There is a company in Pompano can't think of the name right off hand
Let me know when it pops back into your mind :-)
Pete Fallon wrote:Did I give you the brackets that fit into the chair back slots so you can put a bait prep station on the back of that chair. I f I didn't I'll get them to you.
I don't think so... Aside from work I've been busy getting the boat ready for the trip to Ft. Lauderdale so I haven't spent much time on the chair... If they're at your place then obviously you didn't give them to me :-)