Tournaments 2007

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CHolgerson

Tournaments 2007

Post by CHolgerson »

We are getting ready to start planning the upcoming 2007 fishing season as far as tournaments are concerned. Is anybody interested in fishing the MA500, OC White Marlin, or the South Jersey Shark Tourneys? It would be fun to get together and win one of these big tourneys on a 31.

Regards,
Chris
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Chris, if your dreaming(fantasising) about a 31 winning a tourney, you should make it up for the hatt/31bert shootout at the montauk thingy. We expect the results to be the same as the big boat matchings, with Hatts carrying the day, as usual.
thudddddddd
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

thuddddddd wrote: Hatts carrying the day,
thudddddddd
The Hatts will be padling and Timmmys TuBBBBB will be towed if it has not already sank by then. Of course it could only sink if its not still in his yard in a million pieces.
neil

Post by neil »

brewster timmmy already knows that he will be presenting the trophy to a 9 year old thats driving a bertram. any word on dinner at the montauk thingy
Brewster Minton

Im working on it. I should be able to post about it when I get back from Tera De Feago. Going fly fishing with Dad for Brown Trout. They have the biggest in the world there 35-40# class fish. Leave Thursday
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Brewster- If you like fly fishing, have you tried a flyrod on Mako's? Had a few in the 50-70 lb class off Mntauk. Mike O and I did Pacific Sailfish in the 100+ categry in Panama. Much fun. Good luck with those giant Trout. Walter
CaptDana

tournaments

Post by CaptDana »

I'd love to come back to the East Coast and fish some Shawks but it might take a little while to get thru Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, and then the Canal etc.......... On that note- if you need a 6'4" 300 lb crewmember who doesn't puke, brings his own food, is easy on the beers, and luvs fishing-- let me know--we have a pretty busy charter schedule here- buttt I am sure I could find some time away.
Capt dana
Dana Bonney
Brewster Minton

I have caught makos on a fly rod but we were not IGFA legal because the fly was sushi each time. I spent time trying to get them to eat flys but they would always shy on it at the last second so I went to the sushi fly. I think the fly line dragging through the water freaks them out durring the fight and also pulls on them funny when you have a lot of line out and makes them circle.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

South Jersey Shark will have a number of Bertrams in attendence. I will be on Rum Runner, Crows Nest, maybe Fighting Angel if Jimmy did not sell her and last years big money winner Gina L. We have a good time so send in your entry money.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Brewster- We do a bait and switch on them. We rig a hookless Mackerel and keep it about 30-40 ft or so in the slick. When a Mako comes into the slick and goes after the Mackerel, we take it away from him while a fly is cast out to where it was. When the Mako starts looking for the Mackerel, you start to move the fly. Make sure the fly is wet and sinks below the surface. For some reason, they won't even look at a surface fly, but once it's under water they'll turn on it. Many of the blue water fly fishermen cut their fly lines in half and only use the foward half because of the drag created on long runs. Walter
Brewster Minton

Im going to fly fish this year more because Im not commercial fishing anymore because of changes to the greenstick regs and its now almost imposible to be compliant with DEC, NMFS regs and the fines can be crazy. Also when I put the new motors in they are more than a 15% increase in power and thats against regs too.
randall

Post by randall »

why do they care about power?
Brewster Minton

I dont know but thats the Fed Regs no more than 15% increase
CMP

Post by CMP »

It's the size/power provisions in the DAS permitting system that drove almost all the dayboats out of the biz. The reason nmfs gives for the 15% provision is pegged to larger boats and the unfortunate by-product of that was teh destruction of the dayboat fisheries. From nmfs' standpoint, the conspiracy theorists, including me, believe that by concentrating effort on fewer big boats, it makes nmfs' job easier. After all, they've shown no amount of talent in properly managing ONE fishery under their charge, so why put forth the effort and confuse everyone???

CMP
Brewster Minton

They changed the regs for the green stick because they said we were catching to many fish. I said there is a quota and when its filled shut it off. The penelties are so large that if you do anything wrong your finished they can take everything ie your money and boat and house.
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Brewster,

Are you allowed to leave the stick on the boat and use it for recreational purposes?

Chris
Brewster Minton

Yea you can but just two down lines, no more than that. When its set up right there needs to be 5-9 squids hanging or the rig does not fish right. With two baits its not worth the time and effort
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a certain person /no names a terrific guy who donates his restarant for our bass tournament was fined 25,000 and it stuck in court . he has to pay it for having more than two lines in.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Chris,
I would be interested in fishing the WMO with you.
Cell-410-353-8240
randall

Post by randall »

this is why i like surfing so much........no rules, no moving parts, and only the other guys out can detemine what you catch