Cummins 6 cylinder repower question (s)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Cummins 6 cylinder repower question (s)

Post by gplume »

Trying to keep my old beast alive......and most likely will take that course of action, but on the flip side was at the Newport boat show and they had one of the 315 horse Cummins recon engines on display. Something about a new engine.....hmmm

Just for the sake of argument...does any one out there have a shopping list of all that you need to replace if you repower with 300-330 horse engines.
I am thinking shafts 1 =3/8==> 1 -1/2 (or more), props, struts? riser? exhaust, tranny's, engine beds, motor mounts......Anyone of you guys that have gone through this have a list of whats needed and roughly what you spent. Maybe you don't want to remeber the costs? Trying to get an idea of the material costs. I would do all the work that I could my self.....which would be most of the job even if I had to buy some equipment to get it done.

Hoping one of you guys has an excell 'shopping list'
Giff
Capt.Frank

Re: Cummins 6 cylinder repower question (s)

Post by Capt.Frank »

be sides 30K for engines I would think transmissions, shafts, shaft logs, props, engine beds, motor mounts,intakes, seastrainers. You already have 5" exhuast right. Then risers and hoses. I thought about the same thing Giff when I replaced a engine a couple of years ago. Doing the work plus everything you are going to want to do when you get engine out. 10-15K more or less. Bob H should be able to help he just did it.

I chickened out. I think you should go for it. If I knew I would have got 8-12K for my old engines I would have done it.

Good luck Giff
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Giff

You need to go to 11/2 on the shafts. I have the 270's and was able to go to 1 1/2 and use the old struts. Had to use a thin walled cutlass bearing. Figure new glassed in shaft logs, dripless or keep it simple approach using packing. Cut down the engine beds if not in good shape, take them out and replace, rewire, clean up the bilge, paint the bilge and the list keeps on coming.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Engines, gears, mounts, bed prep, guages, exhaust, running gear, harness, batteries and cable, water inlets, exhaust openings in transom, mufflers, control cables.

In a diesel to diesel some stuff my be reusable. The cummins install requirement sheet for sizes will give you some guidelines.

As far as costs?

Your labor is free to you, otherwise you have to search out what you can and can't do and the labor rate for those skilled services.

Parts change quite a bit, sometimes it almost seems daily. Having taken a break for 3 years on repowers and then finishing one up this year I was floored how much things went up. Since the owner of the boat also had his own company, I was able to set him up with a wholesale account which saved 35 to 50% off and we bought supplies under that.

How Fair or How nice you want the install has a lot to do with costs, as well does the extras once you get started. And there are extras or additional things you will want to do.

I've done engine swaps on 31's for as cheap as 3k in basic materials and labor and as expensive as over 130k minus engines of course.

Sit down and plan out what you want to do to your liking. So many of the guys have done different things and installs that costs vary and frankly based on my years in the business tend to be under reported in actual costs.

Amusing story. Two friends had the same boat. One re-powered with me.
The other who didn't once he saw the job wanted to do the same but had cost concerns and asked his friend and his friend told him the cost. The second owner came to me to do the same a year later. When starting to discuss costs the owner cut me off and just said where do I sign I know the costs. After a deposit, the work done and when the sea trial was over I handed him a final bill before delivery and he freaked accusing me of over charging him saying his friend told him this is what it cost . I popped up on the computer his friends bill to which he said some real choice words to the effect of his friend had lied to him to the tune of about 25k low.

I told him many people want to make others think they got a real awesome deal on everything.
Bottom line he didn't have the 25k difference so I seized the boat and had it sold.

Of all the 31's I've done, not one has been equal to another in time and costs.
Keep that in mind.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I repowered with 250 btas. Kept the 1 3/8 shafts and struts.no drag races. Concerned in heavy seas about torque but had no probs. Ran the boat 500 hrs no problem. Struts,new a q22 shafts, length issue compared to 454s. Engine beds were soso, laminated epoxied marine ply with aluminum caps. Exhaust were expensive, $8000.00 but sweet. Crossover on port, loop on stbd. Need 5 in on 250/270 6 on bigger. My guess ,never added receipts, married ya know, done at a reputable yard. 40-50k. Worth every penny
Bill
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Giff,

Here is a pretty recent thread John outlined prices.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... ns+repower" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939