B25 rigging question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Shelldiver

B25 rigging question

Post by Shelldiver »

Hey guys I have a ? About rigging my b25 hardtop. Currently I am replacing the sole and all the framing underneath. Everything was stripped down to the stringers. They remain intact. The boat was converted to outboards on a bracket by previous owner.
PVC pipe under sole? Or under cap down the gunnels?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: B25 rigging question

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nicolas,

Not sure we understand exactly what you're doing... What type of PVC and for what purpose?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Sounds like electrical runs and engine controls??
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Shelldiver

Post by Shelldiver »

I was thinking of running all cables etc through a PVC tube along side the stringer (under the sole)from the lower side console back to the transom where I could get the out board controls to the motor. My concern is if there will be too many bends in the shift controls for the outboard. I also do not want many holes in the sole but the one closest to the stern may be unavoidable. I saw that cam put his through the stringers.

Does anyone know what the stock configuration was?

Thanx for any replies

Nick
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Stock run was along the starboard hull side to the engine box. Are you using a bracket or did you cut down the transom? Hopefully Capt Bone will chime in and share his solution.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
captbone

Post by captbone »

Thanks Cam :)

I ran all of my control harnesses/throttle/shift cables under the starboard gunnel and have been on 10+ different outboard powered 25ft Bertram and the vast majority did the same thing. I found that why it is not as clean of an installation as the PVC under the deck, but it is much more straight forward with less turns. It makes replacement much easier and no fear of water in the tube. Feeding the cables/wires from the top of the transom down is better in my opinion.

KISS- keep it simple stupid is what I live by.

If you are going this far then I suggest swapping out the cables. I never used to believe that one brand of cables would make a huge difference until I swapped out a couple boats and it is a night and day difference. These new Xtreme cables make a significant difference. They make the 33C cables feel horrible when you compare.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-cont ... ional1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What power package on the bracket?
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Cam - on my B25, stock was along the port side. Although my was port side steering.

Ian.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Ditto
With the starboard side
Ran under the gunnel , from side cockpit console to transom
Where I have a bracket , all goes thru transom to engines
Steering , gass lines, oil lines , cables , and wiring harnesses
All goes thru the bracket made by salt shaker marine
Shelldiver

Post by Shelldiver »

Thanks for the info guys,

When I got the boat almost everything had been stripped so I didn't have much to go on but other people's photos. Under the cap seems like a good option since I won't have so many bends and won't be putting hopes in the sole. Also means I can get the sole in w/0 having to worry about what items I'm running to the stern. Perhaps some plactic electrical conduit would house the cables nicely.

To answer your question about power someone passed down a pair of early 90s evinrude 235s to me for free. I'm hoping to try and use one of them, and keep one for parts while I save for a new power option. I saw spencer has twin mercs.

That steering sys looks sweet. I have a hynautic helm that I'm hoping to use but this is a nice option.

What's your opinion on 235 hp? Enough to push a stripped down hardtop up onto plane and cruise around 25mph?
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Cut the transom for twins! 470 HP should do just fine.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I am using the stringers only because I'm converting to a center console...slowly...very slowly...

Nick, is this the former V-drive boat from the old 25 site?? Post a pic of your progress!
1963 Bertram 25
captbone

Post by captbone »

The last year that OMC made the 235hp v6 crossflow was 1986. I have a single 225hp on the 25 flybridge and get a 25mph cruise and 40mph wot light. It is more then enough power and when you think back to the first 25 Bertram that rolled off the line, it came from the factory with less power.

You will be surprised by the performance. Find a 15x15 sst OMC prop. That will be the ticket in my opinion. We need some pictures.

Here is a great discussion worth 6 pages.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... ect-5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shelldiver

Post by Shelldiver »

This boat was a inboard from 1967 according to title . I picked it up in a field in okeechobee, fl. It had been sitting for some time when I got it. But what attracted me to it was the aluminum tower (similar to Spencer's) and the bracket on the beefed up transom. I knew that the evinrude 235s wereat my disposal. One is a short shaft and one a long. Looking for a jack plate now. Hopefully it won't be too much setback.

There was also a brand new alum tank from sunshine tanks in Miami sitting In her.

Capt Bone,
Thanks for the heads up on the time period for the motors. I haven't checked the serial nums yet to determine that.
I know they are old for sure but still clean. Heard they are called "two thirsty fives".

Will get some pics up soon
spencer

Post by spencer »

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/drspe ... rtram%2025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any pics can be seen of the set up with the outboard/bracket and tower
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

arrrghhh. This thread has me thinking about twins again. Spencer's boat trims perfectly at rest with that big bracket. Twin 140 'Zukes would be a good fit and fairly light for 4 strokes (~ 400 lbs). If I had known it would take this long to finish my boat, I would not have purchased my single engine bracket so soon. It's just sitting in the Stainless Marine shipping box dry aging. Anyone need/want it? 30" set back. I bought it right and will let it go for much less than sticker.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
Shelldiver

Post by Shelldiver »

Here is a pic of the b25
This is how I found her.