Cockpit Shade

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Cockpit Shade

Post by jackryan »

Looking for ideas for cockpit shade. I found something called Anchor Shade that is a large umbrella that might work. Here is a link to the add:

http://www.basspro.com/Taylor-Made-Anch ... uct/45083/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not too pricy. Anybody have any experience with these? Taking the kids out to the barrier islands for a couple of days and would like some more shade.

JR
Kevin

Re: Cockpit Shade

Post by Kevin »

JR,
Here is another option. Some one inch stainless bimini tube with end caps for pins and just stick it in a rod holder. The fabric is Sunbrella but you could substitute that with what ever you want. Mine has straps with clips holding to seat. When not in use just roll it up and secure it to the seat. Takes less than a minute to deploy.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Here are a couple of shades I saw in Puerto Rico a few years back. They look as if they are designed to fold out of the way when fishing.
Probably more than you are looking for at the moment, but worth knowing about.

Peter
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi JR,

i think this is by far the most stylish way to do it but also the least conviniant....
Not much you can do if you don't want to interfere with the lines............

Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Jack,

They are pretty popular here over at the beach marinas. Just tied up for a day BBQ they seem to be pretty nice, not sure at what point the wind kicks up that they could be a problem. Obviously not a good idea when the boat is moving.

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

Simple bimini. Plenty of headroom. Can be up when running. Fold fwd or remove for fishing. In the Keys we remove the back straps, hook a lanyard to them, and bimini can be folded from the bridge when a fish is on. Gotta have sun protection down there....
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Peter wrote:Here are a couple of shades I saw in Puerto Rico a few years back. They look as if they are designed to fold out of the way when fishing.
Probably more than you are looking for at the moment, but worth knowing about.

Peter
Peter,

Looks like you were enjoying yourself at El Conquistador Resort. I have the same setup on my B28. Fold when fishing, open for good shade. Best of both worlds.

Best Regards,

-G
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks guys, as usual, great stuff.

Kevin, I have visualized something similar to the one on your 28 supported by the stainless poles in the rod holders. I visualized the poles in the aft rod holders so that the entire cockpit would be shaded. Do you think that could work? I'm wondering if you could run with this type of setup,or if you would have to take it down when running? Gert, the one you posted is very sleek and really complements the 31's lines. Mauricio, yours is very similar to the cockpit bimini that Uncle Vic had on Another Joy. Looks great and what a beautiful 31. I'm flying from New Orleans to Key West this summer, so I might have to make a drive to see your boat in person. Are you in Key West? Peter, in the add for the anchor shade, it says you can idle with it up, but must be taken down while running.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. This actually makes my decision tougher. Too many good ideas. Great problem to have.

JR
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I can run with it up if there is virtually no wind. Depending on direction in relation to the boat there is too much funny turbulence on a windy day. Yeah, you should be able to use the aft rod holders for more shade. Just depends on what you have up top to secure it to. You will want the bridge end a bit higher so water runs off the back. Those are 1 inch poles. I think they make a size a bit larger than that and I would recommend the larger ones if you are going to design it for running at speed all the time.
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

Sunfly is another option. http://www.canvasdesigners.com/Products ... vas-Sunfly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Leo,,

Thanks for all of the good information. The Sunfly looks very similar to the shade that Kevin made. I think I'm going to go with something like that. I'll price the sunfly and if it's too pricy, I'll attempt to put one together myself.

JR
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jack,

Mike Ericson, who owns Canvas Designers in Riviera Beach, Fl, is a personal friend of mine and one of the top canvas designers in the nation. He's done many a project for me, including the interior of "Buddy Boy". I can tell you right now that you can do a similar shade locally for about 1/3rd the cost of of having Mike do it.

Not bad mouthing Mike or trying to divert business from him, just tellin' ya' like it is...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Capt. Patrick,

Thanks,

I'm sure Mike appreciates direct talk as much as the rest of us. In Mike's case you get what you pay for: The Best. I'll contact a local canvas maker here in New Orleans that does very good work.

JR