FOUND!!!! MY FAMILIES 31 FROM MY CHILDHOOD!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

FOUND!!!! MY FAMILIES 31 FROM MY CHILDHOOD!

Post by Greg A. »

WELL BOYS, I finally found her! I have looked all over the internet for damn near 20 years, lurking on here all the time hoping to find her, and remembering all the great times we had on that boat. Tonight I found her, although she's looking rough. We Bought in in '85 from the seond owner in Mystic Island NJ. After a year of work, including building the arch/half tower from scratch, we ran her for the best 3 years I ran her for the best 3 years I can remember as a teenager out Cape May before we sold her to buy a farm for hunting. My dad (now 75yo) always regreted it, and until recently when my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer, still talks about buying another 31.

So anyway, tonight I found her on ebay...looks like Sandy took her toll on the old White Lightning...brought tears to my eyes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-BER ... 84b1#v4-46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg

PS...you have no idea how much I have enjoyed this site over the years. Thank you all...I actually got to meet Capt Pat once, at the first AC Rendezvous, where I drug my wife down to look at the 31's. Man was she patient!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: FOUND!!!! MY FAMILIES 31 FROM MY CHILDHOOD!

Post by mike ohlstein »

We've been talking about that boat for a little while on another thread.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I certainly sense your excitement Greg.

Got any old childhood pics of days spent on the ole girl???

Soooooo.....when are you gonna go get her and bring her back to life.......she really don't look that bad! ! ! Just a few bruises.

hb
hb
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

I must have missed the posts talking about her, can you point me to them? She's in lindenhurst ny,l anyone from that area familiar with her? Nearby can maybe take some more photos for me?

I have lots of old pics from the redo, I will have to scan them in and post them, or look for them on the computer, I have them saved somewhere. And I would love to bring her home, but with a daughter getting ready to start college, another one starting in a couple years, and being a detective on call 6 mos out of the year, right now I can't commit the funds to bring her back the way she ought to be, nor the time to use her. I will have to stick with my little 15 whaler.

I showed the pics to my dad and brother this am, believe it or not we all shed some tears. I almost didn't show them because of her condition, but I had too. Will look for some old pics and post.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

WOW, I threw up in my mouth a little...ok, gagged! I have Cooper Salvage pulling the file for me Monday, say they will send the pics they had, and gimme the story of what happened to her. Trying to post a photo from her better days, but having trouble.
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

So, I spoke with the seller of the Spring Fever. He said the reserve and asking price for the boat is 27k, but considering my attachment, he would let me have it for 19k. When I asked for more photos and a description of the hull, engines, and what happened to her, he said he did not know. Said she may have went under a little, but what was posted eBay was all the information he knew. For that price, if I were looking, there are lots better specimens unfortunately. Oh we'll, thought I would pass it on.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

$27 hes dreaming
1968 hull # 316 - 757
captbone

Post by captbone »

I thought that $6k was high considering all she needed. I suspect she will be around for a while.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Greg

I bet it was a long search. I can't imagine what it was like seeing her all beat up.

Tough to find out what happened to the older boats once they leave your hands. Ours has been in our family since new. She is a 75 FBC.

I keep on trying to find an old friends 31. We spent many a day running offshore with both boats. Never found out what happened to her. When he died, my father and I ran her down to Stone Harbor to an old friend of his, house. He help sell it for his wife. I do know in the mid 80's it was in Wildwood for a while. Lost track of her after that. Just for kicks I would love to find out what happened to her. We had a lot of good times together, and he died way too young.

I know it is tough, but hang in there, another will come your way. The guys are right, he wants too much money for her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

From the looks of the picture, I would guess that the boat never went under. It may have had a bunch of water in the bow.....

Play hardball, buy it cheap. It isn't going to sell for much.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

I agree with the above. Be patient, and if you have to have her back, you'll get her for lots, lots less than the seller is asking--like drop the "2" from the price.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

Thanks guys. I have no intention to buy her, right now finances and time to commit to the boat are now available. I can only hope someone will get her for a decent price, and do a great resto without chopping her up, making her something she isnt. And I agree, he is WAY off with the price.