The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

neil

2012 Northeast Rendevous

Post by neil »

its time to get the ball rolling,we need ideas and a leader
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Based on all the Rendezvous I've been at, key is the ability for us all to be together. Secondarily, clean family facilities, and probably most importantly, a leader. Without Brewster, expect it to cost more per person and probably get less. I could take Greenport again, but open for suggestions and volunteers.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

I am in this year and always willing to help when I can!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I hereby nominate Dug Stowe -- your welcome Dug!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I second Dug Stowe.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

all in favor
1968 hull # 316 - 757
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

The ayes have it!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

congradulations dug
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

The ayes have it!
How bout a speech Dug.....

I'm in.....always enjoy visiting with you guys.

hb
hb
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ok guys, its always good to get signed up for things when you are not in the meeting! :)

Question is where do we want to go?

I have heard some input that Mystic, CT might be a good place. My challenge with this is not that I don't know the river, and every marina. But that not every marina has amenities, and those who do are not necessarily steps from town.

So we need to decide where...

I am happy to make some inquiries for those locations that are close to town, but I will tell you, not much more than a dock and I have to check on facilities (re: Bathrooms, showers, etc.)

What are peoples thoughts on location?

Dug
opunui

Post by opunui »

Honolulu would be a gret venue..you all could tie up to my dock. we could have a luau,talk story, drink,drink some more.
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

Since I was the leader in you being Voluntold -- I volunteer to help. Who knows, you might even see me on something floating with a Bertram name on it too!

Tom
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Opunui:

That sounds perfect -- plus, I always wanted to get a Hawaiian tattoo -- the old school with the whalebone needles and the stick. Add that and I'm in!

Tom
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Dug,
It would be hard to beat family frendly Greenport and Brewster's lobsters. Just my two cents.
Harry
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

We are talking the first weekend in August?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It looks like I will have plans that will keep me away this year, I'll know for sure after the superbowl. So in my case if there is a year it's. Not on LI it's a good one for me.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Dug

Post by Dug »

Unless its on the mainland, I'm out.

From being the organizer that is...

Greenport was great, not knockin' it at all. But I am not there, and it is not accessible to me...

Dug
Brewster Minton

Mainland is fine with me. We need a place were all the boats can be together first, town is not too far away 2nd, and there is some place for people without boats to stay 3rd.
randall

Post by randall »

if its in honolulu....i'm in.
John F.

Post by John F. »

randall wrote:if its in honolulu....i'm in.
Me too.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
SteveM

Hope Town Bahamas Rendezvous

Post by SteveM »

Guys, Seaspray Resort and Marina has been asking me to approach the board for a few months. It does not have to compete or be in place of a NE Rendevous at all. It's an extremely Family Friendly place. They have a perfect marina for B31's, well protected, full amenities, lodging, bar, beach access and an inlet right around the corner to some of the best off shore fishing in the world. Snorkeling for families is unreal. And I'm sure Junior (the manager) would roll out the red carpet big time if we had a decent showing, ie. Junkanoo band or other authentic entertainment to make it an experience you'll never forget. Those without boats can rent cottages from Seaspray, or other private cottages nearby on the island (it's only 6 miles long, and Junior has a golf cart rental service). My house is down the way and I'm sure we would host some sort of cocktail party overlooking Tillooo Cut (the inlet). Tahiti Beach is also down the street, which is the most family friendly beach I've ever seen. You'll need a passport, a flight into Marsh Harbour. There are also two charter boats on the island a 31 SF, and a 35 SF, both bring it in daily. I'll drop a note to Junior to log in and identify himself and make the offering direclty from Seaspray Resort.
http://seasprayresort.com/
More info on my webcam site too.
http://www.tilloocut.com/Tilloo_Cut/Webcam.html
Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Oh, and Randall, the surfing there is fabulous (not Hawaii size but)...and you can borrow any of my boards. It's all reef breaks with many to choose from.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
conchy joe

Hope town

Post by conchy joe »

My wife and I would definitely do Hope Town. It will give me added motivation to complete the diesel conversion I'm kicking off in time.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve, sounds like a blast! Suggest you start a seperate thread to begin the planning for the 1st Annual Abacos Bertram Rendezvous, and consider me your second participant after Conchy Joe.

For my Yankee bretheren, I hope to attend a NE Rendezvous at some point, as Patrick and Bruce told me how much they enjoyed meeting all you guys.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I have all of the sponsor contact information and the "form" request, follow-up and thankyou templates.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I did a bunch of the work last year, but it trully was a shared effort and I did what I did from 1000 miles away in FL.

I guess the standard start point is to determine "committee" heads for the needed pieces.

1. sponsors
2. tent
3. tables & chairs
4. marina (that kinda shoulda come first)
5. shirts - I wore mine yesterday....love it !
6. saturday night dinner - Brewster's clam bake was OUTRAGEOUS and I think I am not alone in still offering him thanks

Is Greenport definitely out ? .... if yes, then mainland where ?
Dug, if you dislike the Greenport location because of access as the organizer head, I will be in NY a lot more in the next year and can definitely help. If the location just "needs a change" for whatever other reasons, then lets look at a chart&map and figure where we want.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Dug

Post by Dug »

Well, we did Greenport 2 times in a row. Nothing wrong with it per se, but location has a surprising impact on who shows up. It was always a NE get together (northeast that is) and Greenport does a good job at luring participants in from the south. Many from the north deem it too far to go.

That is one of the only challenges.

Let me make a call or two in Mystic, as one of the best venues we have had was Newport. Just because there was so much to do off the boats. Mystic could well be similar.

Dug
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

I can check with Kerry at J&B to see when the TriState Tournament is -- It usually is early August - as that usually clears out a bunch of slips in Niantic. That could be a fallback on Mystic -- I've only been up the river once in Mystic and if I remember correctly there is one tricky spot but the rest is pretty easy.

Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my good friend joe whom docks his rybovich next to me told me they had there meet at mystic last year and any sightseeing,family entertainment was too far to walk to. i received a advertisement from a beautiful marina in mystic with a slew of transient slips cannot find it but it is definitely new facility on the river or new owners if that helps. i would need both sleeping facilities as well as eating places close by for 8 people. greenport has everything within walking distance i am sure there is a place on the river that can match that possibly up river???
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Dug wrote:Well, we did Greenport 2 times in a row. Nothing wrong with it per se, but location has a surprising impact on who shows up. It was always a NE get together (northeast that is) and Greenport does a good job at luring participants in from the south. Many from the north deem it too far to go.

That is one of the only challenges.

Let me make a call or two in Mystic, as one of the best venues we have had was Newport. Just because there was so much to do off the boats. Mystic could well be similar.

Dug
Dug as I said once before I did a Rendezvous last year In Mystic seaport and it did turn out great but there was some luck involved got a free upgrade. There is a lot of choices at the seaport but depends on a few things.
If you want details and insight just ask.

Dan
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Dug

Post by Dug »

I was not thinking of the Seaport. Its a nice venue, but not all that close to down town. As I said, let me make a few calls, and I will see what I can get for feedback. Close to town and a couple places to stay would be key...
Dug

Post by Dug »

I spoke with the manager of Seaport marine today. It is a marina that is a stone's throw from downtown mystic. They would be very happy to host us, claim they can put us together, that there is a group rate, a dockside bar/party hosting room (I need to go look at that...), 2 year old beautiful bathrooms etc. and walking distance from the Whaler's inn in Mystic. All that is true. So, what do you think?

We can make it happen, all I need to know is whether I ought to begin to roll the ball.

Dinner could be held at the marina or at a restaurant in town. We just take a function room. It could also be at the Seaport if we wanted. Or at the Mystic Art center across the river, so we could stare at all our boats!

Lots of options.

Here is the link for Seaport Marine for the curious, as well as the Whaler's inn.

http://www.noankshipyard.com/marinaseaport.html

http://www.whalersinnmystic.com/

Take a look and let me know.

Dug
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

looks good dug
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Brewster Minton

Looks great. Im in.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am in very nice accommodations for a party of eight.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It was always a NE get together (northeast that is) and Greenport does a good job at luring participants in from the south. Many from the north deem it too far to go.
Now I've seen everything when Long Islanders are considered from the south...........
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

were getting there bruce.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce, I hear ya. LOL!!!!

So, how many boats are we anticipating? How many did we have last year?

Dug
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Hey! The Whaler inn? Hopefully wont need to stay there cause im gonna be floating this summer!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

For all future posts for the N.E. Rendezvous, please refer to: http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?t=8036