Bertram B26/26 photos

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

sqdqo

Bertram B26/26 photos

Post by sqdqo »

I would like to see owner photos of any b26/26's out there.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Check out the photo gallery at http://www.25Bertram.com
sqdqo

Post by sqdqo »

Many nice Bertrams, not many 26's.
Dug

Post by Dug »

sg,

might try an explanation of what you are looking for, why, where you are, etc. This site, while primarily focused on Bertram 31's has many fans of many boats, and we be a social lot. So jump on in, and be sociable. Explain yourself!

Dug
Peter

Post by Peter »

I'm pretty sure the reason there are not too many pics of '26's is because they didn't make all that many of them.

There were some built around mid '70's, like mine and Chile's, and then there was a different production run later (mid 80's?) which was a slightly different boat.
The later version as far as I know was the only factory Bertram with outboards....although I believe that those were also available with inboard power.

Also run a google search for "Caribbean 26" which is a version of the Bertram 26 made under license in Australia. I believe that this particular model has now been modified slightly from the original in order to accomodate a different power package once the inline sixes were no longer available.

And here is a link to Chile's project pages including an article on the 26:

http://ccridlin.home.mindspring.com

Peter
sqdqo

Post by sqdqo »

I am considering upgrading from current 23' walkaround as I don't like bumping elbows. I want a trailerable boat and the Bertram 26 convertible's with 10' beam appeal to me. I like the express style, simple fishing layout, and Bertram class. I wanted to see a few existing users boats to see how they outfit them.
scot

Post by scot »

At the risk of offending 26 owners....go with the 25. Hundreds to choose from, 10ft beam as well, original Ray Hunt design hull, parts and information much easier to come by, available in I/O or inboards, and as you mentioned; "trailerable"

This is of course unless you run across a deal on a 26 that is just too good to pass up.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
sqdqo

Post by sqdqo »

For some reason I was under the assumtion that the 25 was 8 or 8-6 beam. Also someone had told me that the Hunt hulls were a bit of a wet ride - but what do I know. I am definitely not opposed to 25', just want the beam.
This is why I came to this Bertram site, I was told I would get good advice from Bertram owners with knowledgable opinions - thanks!
randall

Post by randall »

25's have a 10 foot beam and alot more bow flair than a 20 or 31.....also the inboard version allows you to walk the perimeter of the cockpit....being early designs they are over built bullet proof battering rams......
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ditto the 10' beam, I have a citation from the overwide police to prove it.......I had the first Another Joy, a 1972 B25 hardtop with i/o for 17 years before I beacme the Steward of the "new" B31 AJ in the early 90's. The B25 is without a doubt the best bargain in a boat that size on the market. No, not wet, the big bow flare knocks it down real well. In the engine department, for i/o, go with the Mercruiser 3.0 liter 135 hp four cyl. Some of the discounters in FL still sell the complete package, engine, Alpha One outdireve, all the install stuff, brand new with a factory warranty, for under 6K. Da Judge has them in his B25 and they are fast and diesel-like efficeint. I put Vulva 4 banger turbo diesels in my B25 (after the original Merc 6's froze and cracked blocks) in 1984 at a huge (at the time) cost. I caught over 100 marlin on that old B25. Would not do the diesel again on them, too heavy, but shoot, bet I ran 5,000 hours with just the usual Green Motor problems, like all the shit falling off them.........

The B25 is the best buy by far for a "real" Bertram. One of the Faithful, Kelly Small of P'cola, FL sent me some pix of the tower he has just put on his B25 (a FB inboard) and it is about the slickest pocket rocket boat you ever saw. Go for it.

UV
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Well, you know I would have to chime in sooner or later.

I love my B26 and it has even more bow flair then the 25 (so I have been told). I have also been told by the guy that runs my marina that people always stop and stare when they walk by her. There are only two things missing... A generator and AC.

That being said... I'm looking hard at a 1978 Bertram 33 that is gas powered and in near perfect condition. Is it time to upgrade and start a diesel repower project?

Chiles
Peter

Post by Peter »

I love my '26. The room in the house is a bit more than the 25 and it suits the way I use my boat.

That being said I think if I were interested in a Moppie (or convertable) I'd seriously consider the 25. I like the tumblehome at the transom and the elliptical shape of the transom as well. I think David Napier gave up those wonderful Ray Hunt esthetics in order to pull the hull from a one piece mold. More efficent production, but at the cost of some of the roundness and lovlieness of the original 25.

Then again there is the possibility of one of the later '26 factory outboard models. They have their own charm and strong points. Particularly for a trailer boat.
In each case the boats are just over trailer max...they actually rate as wide loads, but mostly it is close enough you can get away with it, especially if you are not going far.

The best part is that with any of them the boat will take all that you can throw at it. If you are going to be around blue water, Bertram is the way to go.

Chiles, Did you know that R.P.M.'s original parent company (R.P.I) was developing a Wankel that ran on Diesel for the milatary about the time that the marine guys split off? What do you think? A Diesel rotary project?

Just kidding about that,..... but not about RPI's Diesel Wankel.

Peter
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Peter,
John from R.P.M. originally worked for John Deere on Diesels before going to RPI to work on projects. He is overly consumed by a new development right now, something similar but he cannot talk about it. It's got to be great to play with someone else paying the bills.

Chiles
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Stew, the reasong they stop and stare, is so they don't trip while trying to figure just who whould have designed that buttt ugly boat, and how come it doesn't have a sea ray tag on it

Thudddddd

Chilles started it
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Thudddd,
I had a Sea Ray once. I made money on it too. bought it, repaired the engine and sold the engine for more then I paid for the boat.

I made the guy take the boat as part of the deal. Too bad I can't do that with your Hatteras. The engines are useless you have a need for a pony sized oil squirt can. You have demolished the top half of your boat so the way I figure it, you are 50 percent done.

Hell, the only thing more crazy then reparing the tubbb is buying a second set of oil slinging dump truck engines.... oh; sorry.

Chiles
Timmy really did start this one
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

did the guy with the 2 rusted out hundyi's you got your motors out of make you take them also?? or is that what your using as morrings? thats what I'm going to with my old DD's
sqdqo

Post by sqdqo »

Ahh the comradery here is remarkable! Still haven't seen pictures of anyones b26 pride & joy.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Timmy, don't let these guys deter you from your foolish, but creative rebuild of the Tubb of Guano. You have always impressed me as a guy who has ideas that are real good, but just miserably fails in executing them. But, on the other hand, I hear your dog sucks getting birds. Not all of us can be good at everything, just live with it.

Yo Fren'

UV
Buju

Post by Buju »

scot

Post by scot »

The Hard top listed is actually a 25. I have noticed over the years that lots of sellers identify their 25's as a 26. Now that would be someone that has absolutely no idea what they own. It is however an exceptionally clean 25.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Thanks UV, for the words of encoragement. you be the bestest.
thudddddddddddddddddd
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Timmy,

Feel the love from the "mean team". Your boat will be the center of attention at Montauk !

Br,

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
sqdqo

Post by sqdqo »

Have you seen the 28 on ebay?
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Is Timmy really going to donate his boat to the reef program at Montauk? That is the only reason I can think it would be the center of attention.

Chiles

[/img]
Hyena Love

B26

Post by Hyena Love »

Its the second best smaller hull produced by Bertram. We call it the puppy hyena.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Chiles,

Looking good, had a friend that owned a B26 FBC with inboards before his exwife took it in the divorce back in the early 80's.

Then later he was the Charter Captain on the B31 which I now own after the owners let it get repo back to the bank. Then called me to go make my deal for it in 1986 and the rest is history. Been lovin-it ever since.

R,
DQ
BCBertie

Another one...

Post by BCBertie »

Here's my 26 at my dock before I removed the radar mount. I don't have too many pictures of her (because I'm usually in her looking out!)

Cheers!

Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Capt. Mike Holmes

26 Bert

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I fished on a friend's 26, and was on a much larger boat in a rough water tournament when his 26 passed us both going out and coming in with no problems. Really rode the seas nicely. Very nice looking boat, and just a bit bigger than the 25. He chartered his for many years.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."