Anyone seen this before on a bottom..

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tunawish

Anyone seen this before on a bottom..

Post by tunawish »

Will be stripping bottom soon but was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this on their boats.. It's right on the gelcoat before first coat of bottom paint was put on .. Could it be some type of adhesion promoter.?? I doubt they had sandless primer back then... what ever it is the paint doesn't want to stick to it now.. and it comes off in chunks right down to this layer.

[/img]Image

Image[/img]
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

maybe the bottom had already been stripped once before and they either didnt sand it after blasting or they did use skip-sand primer

the blasting creates a polishing effect
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:maybe the bottom had already been stripped once before and they either didnt sand it after blasting or they did use skip-sand primer
Would the "Skip-Sand" primer create a non binding issue if it had been applied incorrectly .. like to long a period before being top coated.. I comes off easily with a bit of sanding..

Ray
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

extremely common, there is a short window time where you must overcoat the skip sand primer, get a guy who goes to lunch on a warm day, or he gets involved in another job and the window time is lost.

put it on too heavy and you can have a issue as well, its really common for dealers to have to repair a few a year from using the skip sand primers.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Thanks for the insight....

Ray
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

I was expecting a hot tattoo...bummer