Plexiglass Corner windows

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrhaszard

Plexiglass Corner windows

Post by jrhaszard »

Does anyone know of a source for the curved windows on either side of the windshields? I assume they are plexiglas.Broaddus Rose is making a new fiberglass framed windshield to match the side and rear windows and I would like to replace the curved windows at the same time. Thanks, John H.
BERG1847M80F
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

if you get the old ones out in one piece ( few pieces missing around the edge wont be bad ) you can have a local plastics guy make it for you, my local guy made them that way
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Broadus is making the curved windows for 31 Bertrams now. I saw a 31 on trailer at his yard last week. He told me that he was making the curved windows frames out of fiberglass and I beleive he said that he was making the entire front window frame out of fiberglass too. The owner wanted to keep the glass and not close up the front where he couldn't see out.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John,
I had all 4 of my curved windows(express cruiser) made by a company in South Boston called Multi-Fab, that was 16 years ago, I don't know if they are still in business. I think American Marine in Pompano Fl. also does them, I know they do side windows. Mine were $800.00 back then for 4 panels.

The problem is that every window, curved or straight, is different for each boat. I suggest that you remove the old ones and have a good local glass guy use yours as templates.

The curved panels come out fairly quick once you get the T- bolts loosened. The T bolts are set thru the aluminum frame from the inside, remove nuts from in the cabin side use a wood block to hammer the bolt ends out and slowly ( with wood or plastic wedges) pry off the outer trim, mine were set into the frames with Dolphinite bedding compound. Be real careful not to damage the frames if your going to reuse the aluminum.

When you start to remove the window frames don't forget about the threaded rods that connect the cabin top to the deck. There are 3 or 4 of them, one on each side and two in the middle, you wiill see the access holes in the fiberglass brow above the frames when the headliner is removed. The lower ends are in the hanging lockers and above the V-berth head liner on centerline.

Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Where's Broadus shop ? would love to see his side windows finished.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
John F.

Post by John F. »

I had a local guy here in Annapolis make mine. They did a nice job. I'd get a local guy if you can, because they'll need your current plexi windows to copy, and you can take it back of you have any problems with fit.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Broadus owns a yard in the Jarrett Bay Marine Industrial Park in Beaufort, NC. Give him a call 252 723 2222.