Fly Bridge Bench Seat Options?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Spikehunter

Fly Bridge Bench Seat Options?

Post by Spikehunter »

Guys,
I am looking to replace my old bench seat with a new one for my fly bridge. I like the bench seat option because it enables me to put more peolpe on the fly bridge while running. The bench I have now is breaking down. It has a two folding down arms. The one on the port side fits two guys and the other side is a single.
I have seen the exact same bench seat on a number of the boats on this board. Do you know who made them and are they still in business?

Also I would like to have some kind of storage for underneath the bench seat. Do you have any suggestions as a good company to get them from?

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,
End of the Line
1974 FBC
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pompenette will make a bench seat for you for about 1000. Check out the tips forum and you can find Capt. Pat's instrucitons on building one.

I took the middle leg out of mine and made a tackle box with two sliding doors and drawers. The drawers fit into cubby holes. We made the drawers different heights but all the same depths. This way we could use them for different types of tackle.

The box actually attaches to the bench seat. We took the bottom bolt out of the bottom of the hinge and repalced it with a longer bolt that goes throuth the top of the box from the inside of the box. We have had it on the boat about 32 years and it works great.

Sorry I don't have Pix of it right now. Just so you know, it was built of plywood and we put formica over it. After 32 years it is now just starting to need a face lift. The feet we put at the outer edge, are starting to go and the formica needs to be fixed. You will need the feet to raise the bottom about an inch off the bridge floor since the bridge has a slight crown.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

1965/2007 Bertram 31
John F.

Post by John F. »

Here's what I did when the bench seat wore out. I made the bench out of marine ply/West/paint. The Pompanette chair in the middle is a big improvement over the bench. The two side seats were bought at Bass Pro for relatively cheap. I plan on getting something made someday. I also have snaps on the starboard side, so I can unbolt the seat (4 bolts), and snap on a cushion (basic cooler cushion). That makes the step over a little easier and works OK for short trips. The tackle storage underneath is great--they hold alot of stuff. That little square in the overhand is custom-sized with bungee holddowns for my little cooler--got tired of asking whoever was in the cockpit for a water/beer. Just and idea that works for me.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Zero cavity.. SAWEEET.!!
you must a youngster..climbing up the side on the step..
Wayne
coolair

Post by coolair »

Zero cavity makes my ..... you can guess. That is one fine bertram
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

zerocavity, we have the rumble seat also, very popular in my area.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

The "rumble seat" is the best way to increase the size of our small flybridge and be able to accommodate more people.
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I only use the sidesteps on mine. I don't even put the ladder in place. I find it keeps people off my flybridge and I like to be able to get into the engine box quickly.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

I put a center located seat mounted on a box on mine. The seat is enough to seat 1 easy, 2 no problem and 3 who know each other. Or one skipper and a dog who thinks it is her boat. That's often the best scenario!

I would love to put the rumble seat in place, but on my particular boat I would need to do some work to the aft section of the flybridge to reinforce it somehow and/or add some support. I don't think it would support a heck of a lot of weight. That is my boat specifically however.

I like how much you have attached yours to the sides of the flybridge, and I have also seen one boat that had supports that came up from below that were attached to the bulkhead in the aft of the cabin. but I don't want to have a bunch of stuff hanging out.

So... I stick with the bench. and it does keep it less crowded up there.

Nevertheless, beautiful rumble seat!

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

Heck, beautiful boat overall!!!!
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Heres mine .. Love it
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/C ... ders-1.jpg
left that one rodholder out for tall guys goin into the cabin.. but turns out it wasnt an issue;
Diego

Post by Diego »

Hey Zerocavity, beutiful boat!! can you give me some details on the rear seat on the bridge? also i love the teak you have on the cockpit and bridge, looks amazing. Where did you get that done? what type of captains chair is that you have with the suspension. looks comfy!! Thanks for the help and what a great example of a boat.
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Diego: For the rear seat, show the photos to your local tower welder/fabricator and he can do it. The "teak" is www.Flexiteek.com and the captain chair is a Todd http://www.toddusa.com/productdetails.aspx?id=12&f=13
1965/2007 Bertram 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Ironman's bench is also a really good option. Be sure to check out the thread about bob Lico's two seat layout another really good option and the one I am planning on going with.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Diego

Post by Diego »

Thanks guys.
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
Diego

Post by Diego »

Hey zerocavity, would you say you feel the difference with that chair?
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"