yanmars

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thereheis

yanmars

Post by thereheis »

i am fixing to install new yanmars 315 hp into my 31 bert. would like some heads up on what i need to look for as far as whats gonna go wrong first (if that makes any sence)belts-pumps etc,,,,,if any of the faithfulls out there with yannies have some info on this i would really like to know some of it ,

phil
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Save your money. You'll need surgery to remove the smile from your face.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mike: Are you trying to get off the mean team? That response was to the point and NICE -- who is that masked man?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Phil,

Bruce may pop in with some other things, but the first things on my mind are stay on top of the maintnance, check the Yanmar site & your distributor regularly for service bulletins, & if you need to change a belt, use ONLY Yanmar, (they're metric).

Be sure that you're propped correctly to get 75 - 100 rpms over rated. This is with a fully loaded boat, including fuel & passengers.

As the Prof says, you're gonna' be all smiles...

Br,

Patrick
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike: Are you trying to get off the mean team? That response was to the point and NICE -- who is that masked man?
Must be a glitch. I'll try to correct that.

Please pardon our appearance while we remodel.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

No issues with the 6LP's.

Just do the complete service intervals as recommended by Yanmar and make sure they turn up wot at what your dealer recommends under a full load.

Check your zincs monthly for the first six months until you get a wear pattern.

One suggestion to help with the corrosion factor is before they go in, buy yourself extra paint and coat the bottom and sides with extra paint. The factory coating is thin and touch up rust or corrosion when you see right away.

Pat is right on the belts. Buy and use Yanmar.
thereheis

yanmars

Post by thereheis »

thanks for all the support . so i'll just have to keep my smile since all the $$$ in yannies...gotca on the belts also,and maintance end as well.so are they bad about wearing belts fast since there a high rpm engine ?????????

phil
Hal

Post by Hal »

I changed mine out once a year whether they needed it or not. The only time I had to do extra was when I didn't pay attn to the tension and one got a little loose and chewed up. Otherwise, do the maintenance and keep wire brushes and can's of paint on hand.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

They will last well into their suggested change hours.
ed c.

Yanmars

Post by ed c. »

I have had my 315 yanmars for 2.5 years. Bruce is right,watch the zincs and change a minimum of twice a season, i now have over 700 hours on them. Jimmy G has probably twice those hours in 6 years and as far as i know, he has not had any problems. I have had a few too many boats in my time, however i am not a mechanic, nor do i play one on TV, but my experience has shown that the original installation must be with the best person you can find. I believe i found that person through Jiommy G and i know he feels the same way. It's worth the extra bucks to get a first class installation.
thereheis

yanmars

Post by thereheis »

darrell gatewood at gatewood marine is going to do the install.he is a dealer and mech. for and on yanmares .he has done alot of em down here on the coast area for lots of boat owners,,

phil
Geaux Deep

Yanmars

Post by Geaux Deep »

I have a pair of Yanmar 4LHA-STE 230 hp engines with over 2200 hrs on them. I have close to 1000 hrs on the current belts and have only tighten them twice during that time. The secret as I see it, keep all nuts & bolts tight and use top quality belts of the proper size. The rest is clean air, clean fuel and clean oil. I love my Yanmars - RH
Geaux Deep

Yanmars

Post by Geaux Deep »

There are a couple of items I failed to mention. The Yanmar tachs are crap. I have one that is 200-250 rpm off at WOT. So use your ears. The other is, I totally spray each engine about once a month (while still warm) with the 50/50 potion of CX and lacquer thinner. They both still look almost new. - RH
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

1100 hrs on the 230s no problem, just keep up with your routine maintanace as others have mentioned
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I probably have 1500 hours now and I NEVER had a problem...I am strict with my maintenance schedule and they have never let me down! I went from gassers that I had to work on 2 days to fish one, always had problems with starters, alienators, ect, It was always an adventure! A little story...when Wayne (owner of Jersey Cape Yachts) put me in the water last spring after sitting all winter I just touched the started switch and boom she kicked right off! He swore I pre started & ran them.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I'm a low hour user of my 6LP-STE Yanmars (315 HP), but after 6 years and around 700 hours I've only had to rebuild the water pumps. I agree with previous posts: (1) professional instalation (Bruce and Patrick did mine) and (2) proper maintenance by the book. Mine have performed flawlessly. The only negative is that the owner doesn't use the boat enough; but as Ric says, that's the owner's fault.

Tommy
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tommy
Had a conversation with another prospective repower today and the point of not using the boat enough came up.

I told him the grave yard was full of people waiting till they had enough time or money to do something and then came up short.

Lifes a Brooklyn Forest, enjoy whatever time you get on the boat.
Last edited by Bruce on Dec 22nd, '06, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bruce,

You are exactly right....life ain't no dress rehersal. No man lying on his deathbed has ever made the following statement: "I wish I had spent a little more time at work..."

Tommy
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Tommy... Bruce...

EXACTLY!

I semi-retired at 64, am 66 now.. last Feb I bought a B33 FBC in need of a lot of work.. named her "Phoenix" because she was going to arise from the ashes the previous owner had created. In 9 months I have made her seaworth, safe, and legal.. but still not "pretty", and spent more than I planned.. have a better boat today than I expected, and still have a ton of cosmetic work to do. With a house to finish trimming out and a boat 2 minutes away in my slip I never wake up in the morning and wonder what I should be doing today!

Does rebuilding a 23 year old Bertram make financial sense? Maybe.. maybe not! Who cares?

Why did I undertake this project?

1 - Because she is a Bertram, damn it, and I knew if I didn't get her out of the hands of the previous owner she was going to die a slow and humiliating death!

2 - She had a pair of good diesels and a Bertram hull! In spite of what the previous owner did to her in 10 years she is still solid and proven!

3 - It gives me a sense of pride telling someone who knows boats that I have a "Bertram". (Especially a SeaRay owner!)

4 - As I get to know her more, I have found that I respect her even more! (I have found this with only a very few people!)

5 - I have no hesitation to take my wife and grandchildren out in her. Enough said.

Maybe I get too mystical or emotional about her.. but I have lost too many friends in the past 10 or so years.. guys who were always planning on doing something "tomorrow".. and for them tomorrow never came. My tomorrow is today! "Carpe diem"

Life is a road you travel only once.. stop and smell the flowers.. you aren't going to get a second chance!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

well now there are 2 31bertrams called "phoenix" . i named mine from a "program during vietnam war" my corporation is phoenix associates
(ny corp) oh well good luck