Anyone feel like being an extreme lifesaver? (For 5k)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Whaler1777

Anyone feel like being an extreme lifesaver? (For 5k)

Post by Whaler1777 »

Just saw this poor thing on eBay... Dont understand how people can let them get to this state...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/31-BERTR ... 2560QQrdZ1
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Looks like they actually have it lying on the ground.. What an effin disgrace.
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Its calling somebody.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

That's an express cruiser, not a Bahia Mar. Thud here's your opening to get a boat that goes more than 15 knots. When are you going to start charging tourists for that road side attraction on route 1?
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Pete, Surgon general say I've got to much stomach damage to be bolemic, or a passenge/owner of a RLDT. If I keep the pukeing thing up he says I'll never live to be your age, and from what you've told me, life don't start till your 90.
CMP

Post by CMP »

Too bad it's not closer. I could complete the Bertram conversion to CC status tri-fecta. And as far as it sitting on teh ground, it's a friggin beat up boat fer crissakes-no big deal...

CMP
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

The listiing indicated that the engines are Inboard/Outboard.......Were the B31's ever manufactured with I/O's.........

Also what Chrysler engine is the 350 Model???? I know that Chrysler produced a marine 440 Cubic Inch............what horsepower?????

Harry Babb
randall

Post by randall »

its straight inboard and chrysler never made a 350, i dont think....there's 318....340 ...and 360 in small blocks....all of which would be incorrect in this hull
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

Real shame, if those decks are soggy it would take way to much $$$ to do it up right. It will be interesting to see what it sells for. Did a 25B over, that was enough, this ol bod could not handle another redo.

Keep Smilin
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Harry,

One of our fellow B-31 owners told me he saw an original 31 with I/Os down in the Bahamas years ago. Also, I saw one on Yachtworld a while back that the owner says was converted from the original I/O to a straight inboard. It would be interesting to see how one would perform today with the Yanmar diesel attached to the Yanmar outdrive with duoprop.

Tommy
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

CMP, it's got your name all over it. you could store it next to the 41 hatt cc your in charge of and on the other side could go the 34 hatt that you don't know I'm bidding on that going to be a walkaround project for you.
Thudddddddd
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dreamsicle is an express. My favorite model. I understand why you off-shore boys want the sport fish or flybridge cruiser but that's why God invented towers. For the kind of fishing done in the Bay and tributatries and the creek cruising the captain/helmsman is in the cockpit with the other fishermen/revelers and not up on the roof.
Great boat to do a total on. Mine was only in slightly better condition that this one. Strip out everything that's not glass and pitch it. Replace with new and you have a fabulous Bertram.
Now, if insanity possesses you and you decide to do it call me. I can save you years and steps to a beautiful restoration. Five grand! Such a deal! Have the glass sureveyed for blisters and cracks (not possible on a Bert) and offer three.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Carl

Post by Carl »

Windshield looks in good condition, I may buy it just for that alone.

As far as IO, I think he means one engine is in the boat and the other is out of the boat, laying around the yard someplace.

Didn't Chrysler make a 351 Cleveland?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Sim

[Didn't Chrysler make a 351 Cleveland?]

Back in the day I remember that Chrysler marinized the old 318 CI engine and the one that was popular that I remember was 225 HP. They also marinized other engines but I do not remember the horse powers.

As far as the 351 Cleveland...........thats a Ford engine......Not sure about horse power but should be in the 260 HP range.

I read about the engines in the Ebay Bertram being I/O's but reading further in the description they are described as straight inboard.

My Bertram is an Express Cruiser

Harry Babb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Chrysler big blocks were 413s, then 440s. My 440s are 330HP. 413s probably 290-300HP. My 66 came with 413s and was repowered in the early 80's with 440s.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hi Rawleigh
I was not aware of a 413 CI Chrysler engine. Is it the same block as the 440???

What cubic inch were the old original Hemi's??

Just curious

Harry Babb
scot

Post by scot »

Harry,
To the best of my hot rod memories the Hemies came out as 426, and a little later went to 427. I could be wrong on the 427, but I know the 426 is correct. They marinized them also. I had a chance to pick one up for a song 25 years ago. I should have grabbed it and put in a warehouse somewhere. The muscle cars guys will pay a samll fortune for one of those original old bad boys today.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry,
31 Express here as well. Ford that right.

My manuel shows other marinized versions of Chrysler Motors, M383 and M400 as well as the M440. Two versions of the M383 have 260hp and 280hp. The M300 shows 280hp. And we all know the M440's at 330hp.

Carl