Last word on my knee

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Last word on my knee

Post by Mikey »

Thanks for all the encouraging words, Guys. Since this replacement is the culmination of a twelve-year battle as the results of an accident, I have been through and understand completely the need for and pain of P.T.
In 1994 while visiting my closest friend he beached a PWC, blind sided me and pinned me against a bulk head, crushing my knee and shattering my lower leg. I was transported to Norfolk General and remained there for two weeks, much of that time in an induced comma. Three days after arriving the swelling had diminished enough for surgery. Eight hours, twenty-two screws, three bone grafts and an eight inch piece of titanium put me back together. Three days after surgery I came to and saw one of the Orthopedics standing at the end of my bed holding my foot. I said, "Hey, Doc, you hands are cold". He replied, "You feel that?" When I nodded yes, tears ran down his face and he said, "You're going to keep your leg."
An aside to this, before the accident I had done an episode of Matlock. At the end of my scene the producer came to me to inform me that he had an episode for me. The casting director (an old friend) asked if I understood what had just happened. I said I thought so but was afraid to ask. They had offered me a guest-starring appearance.
Now, don't get ahead of me but you got it. They called my first week in the hospital. This and several other offers I was unable to rise to ended my film career for all practical purposes. When you're hot you're hot and when you're not . . .
Physical therapy started immediately and seemed to be working but . . .
Two years later one of the bone grafts had failed and I was back in the hospital for removal of all the hardware (which I kept) and rebreaking the leg and installation of new hardware. Time to start PT again. Much worse the second time. After second surgery the surgeon told me that eventually I would need knee replacement as there was no cartilage left. He told me that in my favor was the fact that I didn't weigh anything. I made it ten years and the pain got to me. So here we are starting over again.
This message was not a plea for sympathy. We fish where we stop the boat. The pain that I have experienced in the last ten years is nothing. The loss of career I can replace with something else. The time was the big loss and the loss of my best friend. I don't think he has ever come to grips with his actions. He certainly has never said anything to me. He covered himself in lawyers and that was that. Thirty years of friendship from childhood through college and marriages and families are all gone for a moment's laps. That hurts.
I look at what Capt Pat and Uncle Vic have brought all of us to and the friends that I have made and I can't express at this moment the emotions of knowing that if I needed something, be it advise, a pat on the head, a shoulder to cry on, a strong back and weak mind or what ever I could ask and my frens in the Bertram sandbox would respond. That's what lifes about.
PT ain't pain, it's inconvenience. Pain is losing a fren.
I'll bend and press and push and pull until I cry. It ain't nothing, cause I got frens.
Love you, mean it,
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I have never met you, but I don't need to.. from what you said above I know what kind of a guy you are! Get well soon.. there are too few good guys out there!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Mikey, get it on, I need a helmsman bad......one that can syncro those Cummins. Holler if you need anything, 800 260 9908.

UV
daydreams

last word on my knee

Post by daydreams »

Mikey I'm glad that your doing ok, its amazing what doctors can do today. Its sad that people are becoming so cold [more worried about being sued or what they can gain inplace of having friends]. I was very active in boy scouts for many year, It got to the point where we so afraid of being accused of something it took the fun out of it. Lets hope the good guys will prevail & keep boating.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hi Mikey,
I am pretty new to the sandbox and we have never actually talked but...........your story stirred up emotion in me and I thank you for that. Its good to be associated with men like you. Eventually I hope to get to meet you and all of the other guys here in our internet community. You have my prayers and support..........good luck to you.....Keep us posted
Your Fren
Harry Babb
Capt. Mike Holmes

Kneed good guys

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Mikey, that story almost makes my back stop hurtin'! Get better as you can, and do it right as we know you will. Lat month's Southern Boating had a picture of the three Berts you took at UV's camp from that CD you sent me, and this month's has one you shot at Venice marina. Be glad to split the money with you, but they don't pay me anything for photos! But hey, if you weren't before, you are now a published photographer.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: Give me a shout and tell me when I can come visit!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Mikey,
Your right about building new friendships. When ever I talk about going out on the boat the first thing Cass asks is "Are we going to see the Kennedy's?" I'm looking forward to many future get-togethers at your place or mine if you make it to Richmond Heck, I'll even look forward to the occasional trip to the auto parts store because I forgot to put the right tools on the boat. I can't think of a better place to get stuck.

We are going to have to put in a few more pilings at your place so I can have a place to tie up when we come by to visit!

Let me know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you.

Chiles
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

the first thing?? after she asks when your going to marry her?? then you tell her just as soon as you payoff yet another farm implement that you purchased with her ring money.....

Thudddddd

Chilles started it
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Oh, now your stirring the pot... :)

I've already hit my quota this year for the "ring" jokes. I purchased a used car for her 17 year old daughter this week. When we were looking over the car and I looked at her with a very serious face and said "You know, this is gonna put me back a year or two on getting that diamond we were talking about" She did not speak to me for several hours after that. Some people have no sense of humor.

Kathy on the other hand must have a great sense of humor plus an affinity for charity if she puts up with you. Does she still claim you on her taxes?

Chiles
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Actually Chiles, that brings up a very valid tax point that I may have come up with a solution for. These great (my opinion) women should adopt you guys. Walter
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Hey Mikey, being a General Surgeon, I don't work on bones, but if there is anything I can help you with, just call. My cell number is 903 235 2495.

Matt Holcomb
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Mikey,

Sorry to be the last to "chime in". Best of luck with the medical community. I'm sure that you'll do fine. Looking forward to see you again.

Terry

P.S. Wish Patrick had a spell check on this forum
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry