Front Window Insert

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tds8268

Front Window Insert

Post by tds8268 »

Guys,

Considering a front window insert as one of my winter projects on Fin Chaser. Was wondering if those of you who have done this can recommend any pre-made inserts that have fit nice right out of the box. A fellow B-31 owner in OCMD bought one several years ago and it didn't fit at all, lots of cutting, pulling and hour and hours of fitting. Thanks for any first hand knowledge.

Dan
www.finchasersportfishing.com
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

None of them fit out of the box. The molds changed over time from the 60's to 80's so it all depends if your boat was built the same year as the mold. Some of the molds that are around have been reversed from port to starboard.

Bottom line none of them fit, you'll need Bob Lico's porta power and lots of time either way.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

no 2 of these crafts are the same, couple that with a replacement part was built off a different model, u add a 3rd dimension, Russ Swift in Weat Palm created a replacement windshield that is well thought out attempting to avoid the ill fitting issue but the boats are different, I purchased the Holemsy unit and could not make it work and eventually hired him to do the install, he lives nearby, I also purchased the engine boxes, L wings, cockpit panels and the insert that fits between the engine boxes from Alex Whitacre in Ca, had 2 cut the L wings and reglass to make them square, trim 0 to 1 1/2 inches of the port aft end of the cockpit panel to get it tofit, cut 2" out out of the center of the insert and cut 4" off the step end of the insert so it would not hit the fuel tank, as Capt Pat says u are building a boat, expensive parts , no plug and play
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp hit that right , believe it or not left side of windshield was out 11/2". i had to s-t-r-e-t-c-h it without breaking

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Sounds like I might never get ready for charter season and might/will run way over budget. Thanks much guys, this was only a thought, sounds like it could turn into a nightmare. Might spent that effort trying to come up with a sun shade over the engines boxes.

Danny
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

if you do all your own work .the finish product wil make a tremendous differants like night and day. the front deck is now tie into the windshield and inturn the bridge all one piece in conjuction with one piece 11/4" teak coaming boards on gunnel and belly band around entire cockpit . boat becomes a solid missile no flex off a 10' wave. i have been on a thousand boat in the last 50 years this 31 bertram is by far the best in the world.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473