B 35 Repower ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harris

B 35 Repower ?

Post by Harris »

I' m thinking to repower my B 35 with cummins V 555m, but i have many questions
first of all, I' m between Cummins and Yanmar 370 HP, but I have 'nt decided yet, any suggestions ?
After changing engines:
Do I have to change shafts ? what kind ? now is 35 mm diam. and if changing shafts, do I have to change brackets and gears ?
Do I have to change propelers ? 3 blade or 4 blade ? pitch ?
Do I have to rise the floor ?
Do I have to change couplings ?
And if any other information could help me, please advise.
Thanks
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Harris, Welcome from another B35 owner (mine’s Gas). Over the past several years I’ve considered the same thing you’re talking about. Here’s some random thoughts.

-- Yanmar v. Cummins – Both are good and would serve you well, so the deciding factor goes to mechanic’s available and parts. There are some internet sites to help with parts for either. Also, www.boatdiesel.com is a great technical resource for either. As for cost, both would be in the same neighborhood. The Cummins re-man program is just awesome if you want a newer (but not the newest technology). Next year, I believe, Yanmar will be shifting to common rail injector motors for emissions and more $$$.

-- Count on shafts and props. I’d look for 1.5 to 1.75 inches of shaft diameter. Not sure about prop size other than the generally accepted fact that 4 blades are smoother than 3.

-- Raising the floor shouldn’t be necessary with the Yanmar/Cummins but you’ll want to upgrade the engine stringers and possibly paint/clean the engine room. After you pull the old motors it’s the best time to spruce up an re-arrange the engine room. You may even want to look at replacing the fresh water tank in front of the motors while you’ve got everything out. I know mine’s a 1972 and I’d probably rework a good bit of the salon floor just to take the give out of the hatches and to re-level everything.

-- Couplers for sure would be replaced with the shafts, they’re only about $100 ea.

-- Some other things to consider would be.
- Strut backings and struts, make sure they’re good or replace them
- fuel filters, alge-X you may want to upgrade what you’ve got.
- Gauges, you could probably re-use existing especially if you go with a mechanical motor. If you go with a new electronic motor you could consider going with a new gauge package.

I think that’s about all, but others may be able to chime in.

In my research, I live in Maryland, I’ve found the cost of the conversion to be around $60k in parts and $15-$20k for labor. Which is why my B35 is still gas powered.

Good Luck,
JohnD
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

JohnD wrote:
In my research, I live in Maryland, I’ve found the cost of the conversion to be around $60k in parts and $15-$20k for labor. Which is why my B35 is still gas powered.
Amen!! I can buy a lot of gas for that.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31