winter rendevous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marlin

winter rendevous

Post by Marlin »

now that the northeast regatta is over , has there been a southern regatta in the winter months, maybe time to think about it, south florida , west end , grand bahamas, ft licquerdale, key west
coolair

Post by coolair »

as long as you dont bring your boat i am up for it. man she is pretty and if my wife sees it i am gonna be screwed!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

looks like it's just going to be the 2 of us, where should we meet, a small marina will work
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

It's somewhat strange, but firing up any interest in a Florida get together has never caught on... Other than commandeering the Flop House for the Lauderdale Boat Show.

The '04 hurricane and the past few years economy has squashed interest there in recent years.

The most sucessful and ongoing rendezvous' continue to be N. Carolina, Mid Atlantic, and N.E.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

since I didn't get north to my real home, I'm game for a meeting down here in FLA
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bertramp- How can you not come back to beautiful Sag Harbor in the summer or Fall?
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

My plan as every year was to spend many many weekends in Sag and catch the rendevouz. Business (or lack there of) has kept me here in FLA.
It's the ya gotta grow up and take care of business thing ... sometimes it stinks !
Last edited by Bertramp on Aug 13th, '10, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
RussP

Post by RussP »

Linda & I would be up for a winter get together. West End in the winter would be iffy but Palm Beach or Liquordale would work.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

how about barging the Bertram/Hatteras Shootout one year? Abaco Bahamas.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I agree West End could be iffy but I would be in for somewhere in S Fla
Bill
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Flori Duh's only good for foreclosures, crime, illegals, no history, no landscape and over priced food and lodging.

Why would anyone want to come here.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

To visit with Captain Happy Pants.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Bruce after you put it that way, everyone going to want to come down.
Marlin

florida

Post by Marlin »

Hawks cay near Marathon can accomadate a lot of transient boats, decent blackfin on the hump 25 mi off shore, the yellow tail and gag grouper fishin dosnt get any better, we have some locals on board that really know the waters
Dug

Post by Dug »

Marlin,

Get together with John Brownlee. He is a member here, and lives in the keys. He has tried to get this together for a couple years.

Might help,

Dug
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

You can count me in for a rendezvous in the SunShine State.....Of course I will drive in.....no boat......Although I am familiar with the idea I have not quite grasped the concept of a Bertram that runs and floats....

hb
hb
Marlin

winter regatta

Post by Marlin »

end of Feb is probably the earliest to consider, weather warms up, winter fronts subside, sail fishin is strong and moving into the keys by then
Buju

Post by Buju »

Hawks Cay was the venue for the last shindig a few years back. I didn't attend, but the small amount of faithful that did had a good time from what I understand.

Normally, our sails get going strong after the first couple cold fronts push through in Nov. and stay strong up until about late Feb. or early March. But it's all weather dependant of course. It would be a real treat to have a strong front come thru a day or two ahead, and have tailing conditions on the edge of the reef- when the kicked up bay water meets the clear gulf stream water on a hard edge, and the whole food chain is goin ape shit right in front of your eyes. It'd be very memorable to have several 31's backing down on bait balls, and hooking up sails three or four at a time... But thats the exception, not the norm.

I'd love to attend... My two Berts still need a few years though. They're busy aging, like a fine cabernet... I do have a nice old flats rig though-(G.Bush Sr. fished on it several times) if anyone would like to do a little sight fishing while down.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Keys are great, lived there for 25 years,but Pbi-Sailfish??- would be central for members from melbourne to the keys. Hawks Cay would be 400gal for a gasser from stuart. half that for my beloved cummins.
Bill
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I checked with my sister to see if we could have it at her house on Sugar Loaf Key.......she hung up on me, muttering something about changing the locks and getting a big dog.

Me & the Bride are interested, may bring her new pedal yacht.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oh cmon harry i gave you the wheel you were a natural . i notice you like the idea of making a turn on the chine with only the huge rudders keep your sanity!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I gotta tell ya Bob......that was quite exciting.....to skipper Phoneix. Its been over 2 years since I stood at the helm of a 31 and then to run those Cummins up to 2100 and watch the speed hit 24 MPH was only half of the rush.

Then to push the throttles forward and feel the thrust set ya back like back in the muscle car days and watch the speed steadily climb to 38 and change MPH just put the frosting on the cake.....the turns made me feel like riding a jet ski....and felt in full control the entire time.

Ya know I have not smoked in nearly 30 years and I found nicotine stains in my shorts that night...LOL

Now the harbor master......that's another story......I will bring a pair of Alabama Concrete Boots for that guy the next time.....

hb
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You have to tell us what earned him that.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry the port display was in knots that is to say the 24 knots ,the starboard display data bar is mph . independent gps just in case! how did your dauther react with her dad at the wheel.?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That's right Bob....febile mind....24 knots @ 2100 RPM
Bob wrote:how did your dauther react with her dad at the wheel.?
She said that it looked like I was having way to much fun. Angie, me, crazy boat rides and crazy fun go a long long way back. I think she trust me more than I trust me. She and I have spent many good hours in the Gulf....good weather....bad weather....the whole gammit.

Walter, we came in with one engine in neutral, exceeding what the dockmaster considered a good speed. He got quite excited, thought we would get cuffed, beat with a cat-o-nine tail and keel hauled.....but he got over it

hb
hb