OT... Wellcraft V20

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

OT... Wellcraft V20

Post by Buju »

I'm sure some of the faithful has some experience in these. I've always thought it was a good looking hull (looks to have some Hunt in it) and should
be a good ride for a 20... They seem to have a bit of a following too.

Can anyone give me an apples to apples comparison, V20 to the B20?
I guess apples to apples would entail a rarer IO V20 to an IO B20...
OR
a rare (JohnF) OB B20 to a OB V20.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Good eye. I'm pretty sure the V20 was a Hunt design. I had a V20 cuddy with a 150 Yamaha OB, and now have a B20 with a 200 Yamaha OB. The V20 had a really fine entry and not much reserve bouyancy in the bow. She rode pretty well at speed, but on a slow troll in anything rough and steep--like slow trolling for rock/stripers in the Bay in 3 footers--she'd bury the bow now and then. I can remember really well watching the bow go down, not come up fast enough, the wave come over the bow, hit the windshield, slowly make its way up the windshield, lose all momentum, and drop totally in my lap. In November, when the water was cold. Yup, good times. The V20s were pretty lightly built, but mine held up great. If you find one that doesn't have transom or stringer problems, it'd be a nice, efficient boat. The center consoles aren't hard to find. When I was looking for a good, small OB boat to compliment the B31, I looked for V20s (and Seacrafts). I wound up finding my B20, and couldn't resist, but I'd buy a V20 again. Good boat.

My B20 rides better, never sticks the bow, and believe it or not, is dryer. I was out on the B20 last night--25-26 knts at 3600, 30 knts at 4000-4100, and 40 knts WFO. I got almost the same numbers out of my V20 with a 150. I think the V20 had less deadrise (maybe 21 v. 23/24 or so), and was lighter, and my B20 is probably carrying around a little water weight in her.

Both nice boats, but I like the B20 better. Little better ride, and I don't miss the occasional soaking I'd get when trolling.

Hope this helps.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

If you haven't had water up and over the windshield on the B20, you not trying hard enough!

I've seen sheets of water over the bow and riding up the windshield on my B20 Bahia Mar when I had her.

Ian.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Buju- find a 20 seacraft if you can. No foam to load up on water , an easily redone transom, stable at rest and smooth at speed. Had a 20 w 235 johnson, it flew, ran offshore very well(less than 16 kts. wind offshore). Wet? yaaah, cannon shots out of snake creek from the port bow, just learn when to duck-- I'd by one in a minute if I found one,Bill
Bill
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks John, exactly what I was looking for.
I remember being on one about 10yrs ago, went out for dolphin in 5 to 7's. It was ok on the way out to the reefline- good ride while on plane. Once we were in the slop though, and had to throttle back it was very unpredictable on the roll, and tough to fish... think if it had some substantial weight lower in the hull it'd be a different animal.
Nah Bill, I'm not looking to get one for myself- come on, I've got a B20...and a B25. Well, I guess It'd be more proper to say I have a B20 hull and a B25 hull... thats about the current state of things.
scot

Post by scot »

Friend of mine had one. Spent a year restoring it, including a new cockpit sole. First trip out of the jetties and the transom seperated from the hull. The transom & OB were hanging on by a thread, he was able to turn the boat around and get it back to the ramp, where it promptly sank.

That's the only knowledge I have of a Wellcraft 20.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Buju

Post by Buju »

Scot, I understand that you're touching on the appearent lack of quality in the V20....
But damn Scot, whats up with your buddy? How could someone spend a year rebuilding a boat, and not notice whats up with the transom? Or did he redo the transom and it failed? Either way, that sucked for him. Next project I bet he put a little more time into the ass end of it.

I don't however think that is a common "feature" of em... or is it?
Anymore stories?
John F.

Post by John F. »

I bought mine new in 1991--my first and only new boat. I ran her for 7 years on the Chesapeake, was not gentle, and never had a problem with her. I was fishing with a friend and was running to another spot in some decent water for a 20--maybe 3-4s that you get in the Bay. My friend had a Grady and was a big Grady fan. I was 32 and in one of my ocean-racer, let's play Don Arronow, get airborne moods---never get those anymore. We were barreling along and as he held on he looked over with pretty big eyes and said--"you're gonna' break your boat." I made a comment like "if I can break it, I don't want it anyway." When I sold her, she looked like new--no cracks, no nothing. Sold her to the first guy who looked at her. She could take and did take all I could give her.
scot

Post by scot »

Buju
But damn Scot, whats up with your buddy? How could someone spend a year rebuilding a boat, and not notice whats up with the transom?
He did have a drug problem..lol. And yes, I also question his ability to work on fiberglass boats.

He removed the old rotten deck and replaced it. Paid no attention to the bottom-to-transom and the sides-to-transom joint because the transom wood was not rotten. That is where it seperated. So if you get one I suggest a reinforcement of the transom transition.

It was a V20 CC boat. Actually a pretty good looking boat from the outside. I thought the old Wellcrafts were good, solid hulls? Must have been a little too much chopper gun and not enough cloth + 20 years of water trapped in the mix?

It was very difficult to keep from laughing as he told me the story. Calling the Coast Guard, running down the channel with the transom flopping, the boat sinking at the public ramp etc. etc. Too bad YouTube wasn't around back then.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Face

Post by Face »

Buju: "think if it had some substantial weight lower in the hull it'd be a different animal."

A friend of mine has one, well his grandfather has one. Not exactly sure why but they have a substantial amount of lead (sinkers) low in the bow. Always have, I'll have to ask him about it. We run around with 4 or 5 people and it doesn't seem to squat too much. Nice running boat.
Face

Post by Face »

BTW, if anyone would be interested in my friend's V20 they could have it for short money on a trailer in Maryland. Then again you can get just about any boat used for short money right now. PM me if interested.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The wellcraft V-20 is, in fact, a Ray Hunt design. It was my first boat, 1986, a center console powered with a 150 Yamaha 2-stoke. I ran it 10 years, sold it to a friend who ran it 5 years, and last I heard the 3rd owner was still running it. Great ride, great layout, very roomy for a 20 footer. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one just like it. The plywood transom in many of those generation boats was subject to moisture/rot after many years.
coolair

Post by coolair »

got a V20 at the office with a i/o 4 banger ford 70 to 80 model not sure
the trailer was so bad we havnt ran her very much think my dad gave a grand for her dual console boat but ran pretty good few times we ran her but it was a flat day in clear lake
had a guy come by other day wanted to buy it said he and his dad have restored several of them
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854