jersey boat builders

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thuddddddd

jersey boat builders

Post by thuddddddd »

Anyone buddies with guys at the factorys down there? Looking for some seconds stuff to go in the new improved, tubb express. specifically a island forward berth and seating(wrap around couch kinda things) for the helm bridge area as well as tackle centers. I can build all that stuff, but like UV says, time-patience or money. I don't have patience, and I'll be running out of time.

Tubb update. flybridge is off, figured that thing was 1000-1200 lbs took 6 of us to get it off the flatbed. all the fancy beadboard headliner Mike and I spent hours and hours installing is out. Roughly 14'x 30' of 2/3" pine thats gotta be a couple hundred lbs. all the walls, head, galley and staterooms are out. Freakin fridge was 120+ lbs(as CMP will attest to, as I made him help dump it over the side) Figure so far the Jenney Craig diet the tubb is on has helped lose way over 2500lbs and thats just the start. the salon roof will be cut off(6-700lbs). the salon floors are being replaced(old one is probably another 5-600 lbs judging from the weight of the hatches) and the cockpit deck will be replaced, thats 100sqf of 7/8 ply with 4 heavy layups of glass on it(I know that cause Cappy helped with that project). By the time it's all out and replaced with modern material I figure the weight loss wil be at least 4500lbs and probably closer to 5000.
In theory the tubb should be able to almost touch 16knts(heading down the back of a 30' roller with a tail wind) with the weight savings, aero drag reduction, and the tweaking to the motors, unless of course I let Terry F and Big doug on then all the work will be for naught and I'll be at displacement speeds again.

BTW I'll be in the TomsRiver area fri/sat this weekend. Planning on hooking up with Neil and Jr for burgers and beer, as well as seeing a couple of hatt buddies, so if anyones in the area and doesn't have anything going on, drop a note and join the party

Thuddddddddddd
Capt Dick Dean

Express Cruiser

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Yes, Express boats are very trendy but making one from an old hull is streching it. These boat are fast and sexy. Your hull just doesn't fit the mold.

However, since it's more money thrown away and more importantly it's your's, I will look for funiture at the thrift shops traveling to and fro my daily activities. There is a Salvation Army store not far from me. I hope this will 'help you out'.

I see a lot of carpet awaitng the refuse truck along the side of the road. Do you like the color "sage green" ?
ScottD

Hatteras Express

Post by ScottD »

I have seen several older hatteas cabin boats made into express boats with great results. I would love to have one of them, but it does require a lot of work, which I am to lazy to do. In the keys, more than a few of them run charters, lots of room, open layouts, a lot of boat for the money if you don't count the labor. Go for it Tim!

ScottD
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

thanks Scott,
Dick sounds like the places your trying to get me furnishings for the tubb, are the same places you peruse for your wardrobe requirements, as evidenced by the outfit you were wearing when you last passed out in the salon of the tubb, with wing sauce all over your shirt in Newport, which looked strikingly similar to your outfit from the second A/C get together, down to same crust stains on the front of your shirt .
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Love you too Timmy. Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thudddddddddd,
What materials are you using for the re-build. I found this stuff that looks like card board laminated with mica. 2x2 foot section weighed only ounces and I could stand on it. I am still waiting on the the name of the product from a friend. I am probably going to use it in my boat unless there are better suggestions. All the port counters, cabinets are out of mine now...she has a list from the diet.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Kevin, I got a sample pack from the guys at Liquerdale on the product your describing. I'll grab the info for you and try to post it tonight. Really cool stuff, but pricey. Looking into divincell and nidacore for most of what I'm doing
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Terry didn't know you were back. happy t-day. start the weight loss thread after the weekend??
capy

Post by capy »

Timmy,

Congratulations on putting the hatt on a crash diet.....I'm sure it will turn out great.

Where are you doing the work? Me and the boy would like to stop by and see the progress.

Your Pal,

capy
neil

Post by neil »

timmy be nice to the inlaws tomorrow so that you get invited back next year. there is no chance of fishing here fri/sat
scot

Post by scot »

Let's see some pictures of the Tub.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Wouldn't it have been easier to get up a head of steam and run under a low bridge?

If patience is not your game, send it down to me with a credit application co signed by Mike and your golden.

I hope you have a semi displacement hull cause if you don't, all the weight loss in the world will only make the boat plow that much more.

Something to keep in mind when choosing engines.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Bruce, Not a displacement hull. Like I said at liquerdale Slanes kid Tom does these over on a regular basis and with low to mid 300hps they cruise in the 22-25knt range. 400 + gets 26knt+ cruise. The proff has been on one of our friends, but it pounds like crazy at 26-28, of course I don't know how big the water was that day .

Capy it's on Rt1 in Salisbury. You can't miss it the area has been declared a enviromental hazard since the tubb got there.

Scot, haven't a clue on how to post pic's, being of limited ablity

thudddd
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Timmy,

Bermuda was great. Super expensive for everything. Wouldn't be a problem for a guy like you with deep pockets. Yes, Monday would be a good time to start that weight loss thread. Enjoy tomorrow.

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Timmy,
Seen one of them Slane boats fishing in the Mid Atlantic, the boat moved well and fished all the days we did, (some not so nice)
Good Luck with the project. May I recommend the 6" grinder with 36 grit discs. It makes a great Christmas present and really takes off those years of grime. Consider it a facial for the bilge.

Don't look like anyones going in the ocean until Sunday down here, mother nature parked this thing just offshore and its stayin put. Good news is I know a few good bars in the area if your coming. I thought I heard Neil say he'd buy the Tequila shooters.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

JP, alot of that stuff was done on it's previous make over. Bilge just needs a bit of super clean. The engine room was awle griped and everything else was bilge coated. All the wireing was new as was the gen set(thanks Bruce) haven't ever started the genset. Capy redid the cockpit 2 seasons ago, but I'm changing that infavor of a different layout and what should be significant weight reduction. Motors have been rebuilt a few times, till I finally got a good mech. They will be a bit underpowered even with the tweaking Dave is going to do(read shortend life) but thats ok if I can get a couple of seasons to replenish the piggy bank. Hope with all the mods it will cruise at 18-19 for the time being.
Got a PM heading your way with my cell. I'm around TomsRiver fri/sat with nothing to do but annoy Neil

Terry on mon we'll "let the games begin"
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Hey Thudddddddddddddd, I still have those 400hp dd's 11k for the pair with the gears! 700hrs
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

great, thanks for calling me. sounds like all the fun stuffs done. well me and cabin boy are gonna show up one day with the chain saw and sawzall and something's gonna be cut!

you gonna be down on the tubb this weekend?
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Harv

Post by Harv »

Tiimy,

I wil be at my father's place in Tom's River on Sat. I lost your cell number when my phone was stolen in July. Shoot me an email with your number and I'll give you a holler when I get down there.
Harv
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Lurker, this site is for real offshore boats, like hatteras's and to a lesser extent bertrams, not bayliner wanna be's. Lots lrts to do, I'll call today during the ride. Whaler, email heading your way, Harv, you to
algillen

Hatteras expresses

Post by algillen »

Was in Morehead City a couple weeks ago taking a boat to SC, and stumbled across the green Hatteras below. Stopped me in my tracks for a few seconds as I tried to figure out what it used to be before it was an express... then realized it as a Hatt hull.

There was another one in the same marina that was perhaps 45' long... also cut down as an express, don't have a pic of that one, but it was absolutely outstanding. The other picture below is yet another one for sale on the Jarrett Bay brokerage site... didn't see that one in person. I will say the two conversions I did see were finished off very, very professionally.

Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Both Butt Ugly to my eye. Look like old Hatts trying to be Bertrams. The lines are just not right. Hey Timmy, that's what your old Tubb will look like after the chain saw job, but without your signature 4" PVC pipe a/c exposed ductwork.

Shoot, the things us True Faithful have to endure is getting to be a heavy load. Maybe one of us will come up with a Hyena Boat and Hatt Spam Filter.........

UV
scot

Post by scot »

I like the white hull, windscreen fairing looks correct for the hull lines. The blue/green one has too much screen...looks weird.

My $.02 cents

UV,
I appreciate you not putting the B25's in the "spam filter required" category. I guess you are drawing the line with the original Ray Hunt designs? Or your just getting soft.

Scot
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Scot, no, I have a soft spot in my heart for the B25. I first became the Steward of a Bertram in 1976 with a 1972 B25. Ran it for 17 years, caught over 100 marlin off that little boat, first B25 I know of ever repowered to diesel in 1984. The B25 has pretty nice lines, as does the B20 Bahia Mar. Nothing tho compares to the perfect lines of the B31. The Hyena Boats are just that - to my eye just bow low and seem to drag their ass like a Hyena running.... I'm sorry if I offend anyone with all this, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

UV
algillen

Post by algillen »

Agree that the green one is a little peculiar. From the transom you didn't get that feeling of it being cut-off they way the side view does.

The other one I saw actually looked pretty good, because they had put a Bahia Mar-like structure up on the deck surrounding the helm, and elevated the helm area (making it look a lot like a modern Carolina express). Wish I had taken a photo.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
thuddddddd

express's

Post by thuddddddd »

The green one does look a little weird. Both he and the stuff slane does seems to want to keep the pilastar(???) lines of the old boat, and the w/s area on the green(45 hatt) one isn't getting it done for me. I'm looking more at the side profile of a 45 gamefisherman. www.gamefisherman.com
Had some help from Frank, and his g-friend from the the 33 page, cleaning out more of the demo mess. More and more happy that I undertook this little project.
Uncle Vic, no offence taken at your rambling, I'm used to it specially after spending as much time with my 96 year old grandfather as I have lately. It was easy to get used, I just put my mind into the same mode as dealing with Kathi, all I hear is bla bla bla bla RLDT, bla bla bla Best, bla, bla, bla, corrosion X bla bla bla, volva's suck, bla bla bla. Andre says Miss Elaine calls it dementia
Last edited by thuddddddd on Nov 28th, '06, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
randall

Post by randall »

frankly i find fly bridge inboard 25's the prettiest of the bunch....in profile anyway............and i think i have a good eye....tone deaf...but a good eye
scot

Post by scot »

Timmy,

I didn't know you had such good taste. I'm in the process of modeling a B25 into an express similar to a Gamefisherman myself. Good luck.

UV...I knew there was a B25 hiding in your closet.

Scot
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Ran dalllllllllll, if Doc matt is any authority, you've got a cute butt as well as a good eye.

Scot, Can't wait to see pic's. Once kathi shows me how to post I'll get demo pic's up
randall

Post by randall »

say what??
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Timmy,

Had one of those 45' Hatt. conversion sitting next to me in the boat yard a month ago from Orange Beach, AL. They did a engine change out, HUGE! Rolls Royce Diesels about 2 tons a engine was pulled out and they put in the new Q series Cummins and the water line rose about 6-8 inches up higher out of the water. Look like a lot of work to cut that down to a express version, not bad for a Hatt. though, but hey!, good luck! with that project. But it will never compete with the RLDT!

MERRY CHRISTMAS !
R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Doug, if I had your money, I wouldn't need to do the tubb, I'd just go buy a Liberty. Should be a intresting project. Mike, Joe A, Cappy, Cmp and a couple of others helped the first time we did her over, so I have a pretty good idea of what I was getting into. It's actually not as scary the second time around, what with haveing a clue as what it is I'm trying to get done..

Randalllllllllll, Maybe you didn't hear Matt say it was good to see your backside as you were procurring beverages for our enjoyment, or maybe he said you were wearing your ass out, reeling phish(remember panama is a democracy, and we did vote) and fetching drinks, I'm kinda hazy on just what was said
Last edited by thuddddddd on Nov 28th, '06, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
CMP

Post by CMP »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Cummins Q series, yeah baby, yeah. Real motors...

CMP
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

I was thinking more along the lines of a killer set of volvo's(being as I 'm spending DQ's money) maybe a set of those IPO drives if he's feeling real generous.

Thuddddddddddd
scot

Post by scot »

A killer set of Volvo's?......is there such a thing?

Now Timmy...stop talking about Randall's butt. What's next, calling your boat cute? Man did I stumble into the wrong site???
thuddddddd

volva's

Post by thuddddddd »

Scott, we all know when a set of volva's going bang, someone is going to get killed.

and the tubb's to manly to be cute, it's handsome in a rugged kinda way. Kinda like Randallllllllll's who's cute, and me.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Tubb

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Timmy, in all seriousness, you know I think an express Tubb is a great idea. It will look better, be much less top heavy, perform better, etc. I think both the express Hatts pictured on the earlier post look damn good. The dump truck engines will not have to work as hard, and should get you by until you can swing a pair of Cummins. If it wasn't so far up there (and so cold), I'd come help - have some extra time these days.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

thanks Mike. I agree with you, plus I'm adding lifting rails and spray rails.
I'm not real taken with the side profile of the Slane conversions I like a little less abrupt curve, and more sweep on the w/s area.
Wish you were closer then not only could I con you into helping, I'd be able to go fishing with the Famous charter captain mike.

thuddddd
Capt. Mike Holmes

Fishing

Might not be that exciting, after having been out with the amazing and god-like Tred Barta!

Of course, with the money all you yankee-boys have, you could always take a break and fly down to go fishing in what for you would be very warm weather.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Tred is an a##. I know him.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tim,

If you want help, just call. I can bring tools.

Dug
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

I'll second the motion on Tred Barta, sold a 55 Ocean Yacht to a very nice guy and had Tred as a captain. The most onoxious person I've ever meet being in this buisness for 26 years.
After the sale we proceeded to do a lot of custom work to the boat which he over saw. All expences where on the owner, Tred would come into the office drink our free coffee and charge it to his boss. Just a total *ss!

Keep Smilin
scot

Post by scot »

Ron,

How do you really feel about Tred?

Scot
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

My first meeting with Tred Barts...

Post by CaptPatrick »

About 10 or so years ago, I was formally introduced to the infamous Tred Barta...

A commercial fishing buddy, Scott Hoffmiester, and I had been fishing goggle eyes off the Jupiter Inlet most of the night and after a few hours of selling our catch to the sail fishermen, we headed for the dock.

We'd been cleaning up the boat for an hour or so when Scott looks up and sees a guy walking down the dock towards us. Scotty got all excited and says "Here comes Tred Barta! He docks right across from me."

I had long known of Tred and read several of his articles. From those articles, I'd already made up my mind that he was a blow hard and full of himself, so needless to say I wasn't overly impressed. One article I recall was along the lines of: "If someone wants me as his light tackle tournament captain, he better have enough money to afford several transmission repairs, 'cause I'm not going to concern myself with tearing them up backing down..."

Scotty jumps up on the dock and all but rushes to meet Tred and shoot the breeze with him. I just keep on keeping on and don't add to Scotty's homage.

After a few minutes he excitedly introduces Tred to me, who's already been bending Scotty's ear with some BS story of his exploits from the day before.

I look up briefly and said, "Pleasure to met you, Ted". Tred corrects me that his name is Tred, not Ted. "Oh, OK", I say and go back to squaring things away in the boat, but keeping Tred in the corner of my eye.

He seems a little upset that I haven't shown any recognition of his legendary status & starts spilling out loads of self anointments and verbal credits to his captaining & authoring skills.

Finally he decides to move along to his own boat, acknowledges our meeting & I say: "Thanks, Fred, have a good day." "No! No! It's T R E D, not Ted or Fred." he replies. "Yeah, OK, have a good one." I say & back to doing what I was doing.

He walked away muttering something incoherent to himself.

A couple of days later, I hear that he ripped out a transmission on "Mikira", his own boat, & I thought: "Hmmmm, maybe there is something to the Karma theory..."

Ran into him a few years later at a Walker's Cay tournament. Ommie Tillot was there also and was my first and only meeting with Ommie. Absolute gem of a gentleman and boatbuilder. Tred walks by and Ommie introduces Tred & I say: "Yeah, Ted and I meet years ago. How are you Ted?...."
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

Captain Pat
You make me laugh, perfect way to treat somebody like Tred. He's so full of himself I wonder how many times he's walked off the end a dock while revelling in his own glory.
The guy that bought the 55 Ocean Yacht from me eventually parted ways with The God All Mighty, he told me of the parting but one of the many reasons why was Sir Tred fueled up the boat the day before heading out to the Canyons. The boat was at a marina where you bring the hose to the boat, after running out to the Canyons for two hours they ran out of fuel. Two 55 Oceans side by side, guess which one was filled?

Keep Smilin
Capt. Mike Holmes

Treading on Tred

Way to go, Pat! Wish I could have been there to see that one. I've heard some stories on him from editor's at Sportfishing, - a legend in his own mind.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Dug, Just lite demo clean up now. Should be working on it Sat and then Sun pm. Swing by if you want

And guys take it easy on Tred, he's more than willing to share what he knows, and not be a jerk about it.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Timmy,

I know that Tred's a friend of your's and MikeO, and other than two very brief meetings, I don't know him well enough to really say anything bad or good... But what I do know is that you & Mike know him well enough to call him friend and even defend his honor, so that alone makes you two guys giants among loyal friends.

Makes me proud to also have both of you as friends! Hell, my honor may need defending some day...

Br,

Patrick
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

thanks, and back at ya, Capt Pat.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bruce, looked into your advice on just running into a bridge, to deflybridge the tubbbbbbb. Perhaps it would be easier than what I had in mind. I'm guessing this is what you ment , correct?

www.flurl.com/item/sailing_home_u_207025