Epoxy, Varnish, or both??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

Epoxy, Varnish, or both??

Post by Harv »

This off season, I did a lot of brightwork on my exterior teak. The process I used was to undercoat with West System epoxy and the finish with Epiphanes varnish. The process I followed (per Capt. Patrick's recommendation) was first coat of epoxy thinned 50% with denatured alcohol and then 2 more coats of unthinned epoxy. Then I applied 3 to 4 coats of varnish thinned 5% per Epiphane's recommendation. I am very pleased with the results.

My question comes up as to whether to follow the same proceedure for doing some interior teak as there should be little or no UV rays entering the cabin. I'm sure I could probably get away with using straight varnish, but the epoxy saves many applications of varnish to obtain the same appearence. Or, could I get away with just using the epoxy? Done right, I actually prefer the finish of the epoxy compared to the varnish, but I am worried that yellowing and fading may occur as in the exterior work, if not protected by the varnish. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Harv,

Never use straight epoxy as a final finish... It's too soft of a surface & will yellow. The yellowing may be a bit slower to develop on interior bright work, but it'll happen none the less. It'll also lose it gloss rather quickly.

Epifanes makes some fast build up urethanes that can be re-coated within 6 hrs without sanding. The problem with most urethanes is they are very slow to fully cure. Several coats of final varnish is still advised over the urethane.

I'd stick to the same technique that you used for your exterior work, except that my final coats of varnish would be satin finish rather than gloss. Gloss finished varnish inside is rather garish and will highlight every flaw.

Br,

Patrick