Caught my firts sail

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Caught my firts sail

Post by Kevin »

Today was the day. Went out and caught my first Sail Fish. Water was calm and clear. Caught it in about 100 feet of water off Islamorada. Things start off slow and then it's FISH ON!
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Congrats, you get it off that hyena boat with the rockin motors??

Thudddddd
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Nope, the Hyena is still a virgin to me. Went out on my buddies 43' Viking. When ever I go out on a boat like that I wish I had a big boat. But all I have to do is say hey, how much do you burn per hour. When they say 40-50 GPH I think my boat is just fine. I do look forward to outfitting the boat for fishing though. Now I know a little more.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Congratulations.

John F.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Congratulations! I caught my first Sail this year as well in Panama!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

First Sail for me was'nt a planned thing. I was in Florida with a customer and his son buying a boat. I think this was in 1998. Deal was done, had a extra day to hang out. Walking the charter docks around 11:00am at Singer Island, Capt came out of the salon of a 57 Monteray and said "Hey yu Guz wana go fishin, got nothin booked a I'll give you good deal. $350. for the afternoon including bait was a know brainer. Three of us quickly went a got sandwiches and beer.
Raised six Sails, the Capt was a real Hot S**T, mate was cool once he knew we had clue what to do. Lots a laughs drag raced a 54 bertram on the way in.
Best part though was being able to just walk away no cleaning up and washing the boat, shake hands and later Capt.
Some of the best fun and times are never planned!!!!

Keep Smilin
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

No doubt. Called my buddy out of the blue and the first question out of his mouth was, "what are you doing tommorow". It happenned to be my day off and thoughts of working on my boat did not do it for me. So the answer was heck ya I will go fishing with you. I learned how to rig the bait and from then on we just waited. When it happens all hell breaks loose. Lots of fun. Hopefully I will have more stories as I get my boat rigged out. Thanks guys.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Kevin- If you liked that, you'd go nuts in Panama. Mike and I even got them on on fly rods! Congratulations! Walter
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Never actually tried a fly rod before.......I can only imagine with a big fish. "We're gonna need a bigger boat."
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Congratulations Kevin. Now your going to get hooked. You know you live in an area that is polluted with Sails so this is just the begining. Intereseting only in 100 feet. That's a good sign, Seen a 65 Bertram coming in past the Shrimp boats Sunday from another all nighter (We knocked them dead) and man I was drooling but fact of the matter is I coudn't afford the fuel bill let alone the other expenses. I can run mine with two guys or just me if I wanted to really work hard and pay the fuel bill too.It catches same kind of fish too! Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dave, the day before while I was out just cruising I watched a boat pull in two sails at Alligator Light............about 50 foot depth.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Yeah Raleigh, I enjoyed fishing w/you in Panama. I caught my first sail on an 18' Wellcraft about 45 miles S of Grand Isle, Louisiana, on a homemade bait with my two oldest kids. Won a trophy too.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
randall

Post by randall »

i caught my first sail in panama with hank tellen me zactly how to do it.............and of course there was that thursday morning under the direction of dr matt and timmy that my arms nearly fell of.........more strenous than surfing..........next year maybe i can hook one from the kayak