Interior lights.. LED vs incadescent.. and suggestions or co

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Interior lights.. LED vs incadescent.. and suggestions or co

Post by IRGuy »

I am approaching the time when I need to think about what I will do for overhead lights in the main cabin, head, bunk cabin and forepeak. I am trying to install only LED fixtures everywhere so the current draw will be minimal, plus I like the fact that they last much longer than incadescent, but I don't have any experience with them..

Who has installed what? I would appreciate any comments you all might want to offer!

Thanks

Frank
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I've used many types of led. It boils down to pricing and design.
Some can be multicolor.

What are you looking to spend per fixture?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Check these guys out. Should be able to find something you like through them. We are in the middle of redoing the headliners and wiring in the lighting and dimmers later this week.http://www.imtra.com All of the lighting products came from this company.

Next week its the air conditioning and then finally I can show some pics of the inside.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Like JP said, www.imtra.com
Flush mounted LED with dimmer

1965/2007 Bertram 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Getting to this point this summer. New interior lighting. Want to use LED's but can't figure out what is what. Being one of the older guys I understand incandescent from years of use, but when I read the stuff on LED's I don't understand how bright the different items are and are they all dimmable? Like the old thermos joke, how do it know?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Bruce..

I was hoping to not have to pay more than $50-60 per fixture, but in the end I try to balance quality vs cost. If I need to spend more for quality so be it. My problem at this point is that Imtra and other light fixture mfgrs have the same LED light priced at near 2-3 times more than the same fixture with traditional incadescents. I bought new nav lights with incadescent bulbs this year, after having confirmed that I can replace them with LED bulbs in the future, and I assume in a year or so LED replacement bulb prices will come down.

JP and Zero Cavity...

Thanks very much for the pics and info.

Mikey..

You and I are in the same boat! (Pardon the pun!)
Frank B
--------------
Face

Post by Face »

Led "bulbs" will use less current but are still susceptible to corrosion (the weak link). Especially in exterior applications. Sealed led fixtures, while expensive, minimize this problem.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Yes, energy can be conserved, at twice the price. The new formula. Green really means the color of your money. Save the world my ass. See the George Carlin bit on the politics thread.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

IRGuy,

Buy the time you purchase the LED replacement lamp for an old recess puck or ltg., the LED lamp might not last that long to begin with. The cost is not that much more. I'm a Imtra dealer and can purchase the lights for you, if you give me the model # you want. But be sure that's what you want because its yours once I order it.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

For the amount of use a boats lighting actually gets why not use the 12v halogen. At $30.00 per fixture its pretty cheap and clean. If 12v is what your trying to get away from just run a transformer from 110v to 12v. Put the transformer after the dimmer and your good to go.

I can't remember the last time I've changed a halogen 20watt bulb.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Carl

Post by Carl »

My only tidbit to this post is, unlike incandescent lights it does make a difference which way you hook up the wires. One way you have light...the other way your trying to figure out whats wrong...ask me how I know.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Actually the best I can suggest is putting Xenon 12V pucks which could be recess or surface mounted. These are shown in 3 colors and is whats in my B31 and have never replace a bulb yet which last about 10,000 hrs and less heat than halogen. These are price at $29.95 ea including the bulb. If you want a transformer for a 120v line which would drive 4 ltgs. add $29.95. PM me if your interested.

[img][img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r210 ... lighti.jpg[/img][/img]
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

DQ....

I just sent an email to you through this forum's email feature.
Frank B
--------------