a/c

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

a/c

Post by Russ Pagels »

the question has be asked many times.but I can't find the answer. what size is the right size a/c unit in btu for the B31. thanks Russ....If I start driving any one crazy let me know.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Russ,

12kbtu is minimum.... 16.5kbtu is what I've put into Hancock's B31, to be used in the Gulf of Mexico. The difference in price & size generally isn't that great and better to have to large a unit than too small. The unit I've installed is the Mermaid Model M-16CHP-T
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Thanks Pat,16 btu it is, if the budget can handle it .where did you place the unit? thanks Russ
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

That model is an all-in-one unit, so your options will be in the V-berth centered between the bunks or the cabin cabinetry. Since I've redesigned the interior of this boat, the choice was made to locate it in the head cabinetry, as far aft and outboard on stbd side as possible.

Here's a basic image group

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pat,
Wheres the electric panel?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bruce wrote:Pat,
Wheres the electric panel?
Real old image....
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks, I thought my sometimers had progressed.
fishlook

Post by fishlook »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boat-Mar ... 35a761a07b

I found this on EBAY......is it junk???? The pricing looks good.....

Capt. Pat, If I remember correctly Hancocks got the 3.5kw NextGen? What else do you plan to run off it?

Jay
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

What else do you plan to run off it?
1,200 w Microwave, refrigerator, momma's hair drier, tv, or whatever he might need ac current for... The airconditioner is the key item.
Ripsangler

Post by Ripsangler »

Fish look, FYI I've seen AA Mabru (the seller) on you tube refurbing a Bert. 31.
Marlin

a/c

Post by Marlin »

Pat, Beard marine came out and recommened a 12000, said the 18000 could ice up, mine is open like the Hancock boat and self contained ,fyi
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Russ,

I bought the 9000btu Webasto from Mabru. It arrived and the remote control was smashed, the main contol had dirt smudges ont it and the harness was missng parts. I called the company and told them about it. They said send it back so I did. They sent a new one to me ASAP. I think it was a mistake and they made it right. They were a pleasure to do business with overall. Very helpfull on the phone. I think this summer will be two years on the unit. In the middle of the Keys summer with an open floor plan and v berth it will get into the 60's in the cabin with a infared thermometer. I only have about 1 foot of ducting total so I can get away the smaller unit. You need heavy blankets because its like a tornado in the cabin. Visibly the unit looks the same as the day I installed it. I was skeptical at buying what I think is Chinese crap but have been happy. It runs months at a time.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

My 12,000 will freeze you out
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Russ

Don't worry about driving us crazy.......speaking for myself I am already there......for some of the other of us it will be a very very short drive..... LOL......

DeNada is outfitted with a 16K BTU and you can hang meat in there......

Harry
hb
micky

Post by micky »

A friend of mine has a 16000 btu and says its too much. He told me that 12000 its the right one for the 31's.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt patrick i am about to reinvent the wheel with regards to a/c . did you purchase one yet for this project?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

actually a cruisair model for your next project.model rn-12 which is the R type condensing unit and this can be put under cockpit floor or any place you want very small a/c and heat unit 15" x 13.7 " . the re/dx air handler goes in the bridge above salon area which is empy wasted space anyway. and just short ductwork to head and galley.this would be total utliziation of precious cabin space. needless to say if you lived in warm climate you can have cool or (heat in the north )outlet on bridge .most inportant avoids the impossible situation of sleeping on top of a/c unit in v-berth .check it out www.cruisair.com
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
coolair

Post by coolair »

I bought the 12k wabasto, i dont recall the seller but it was ebay, and pretty damn cheap. The unis is of good quality in my opinion. The only think i dont like is the heat pump stuff, which i think the mermaid has electric heat, and there was one other company i cant remember that had stainless pans and was a small company that also built larger marine type units. Just cant beat the price of the wabasto, i think my 12K was like 750 bucks. Plus i thought a 12k was as big as a 3.5k genset could handle?

i just went back and looked at the pics, looks good capt pat, turning vain and all!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
John F.

Post by John F. »

I put a 12K BTU Crusair in my FBC. Works great and can handle the summer heat here in the mid-Atlantic. I put the unit under the bow seat in the cabin, but I like Capt. Pat's location in the head better. I had one outlet in the cabin only--nothing in the v-berth, and it didn't work out. The cabin would be cold, and the v-berth too hot. Put another outlet in the v-berth, and its great.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
The problem with split units for the do it yourselfer is they cannot buy them direct from manufactureres under epa guidelines.

They also won't be able to buy 22 or newer freons without a cert card so that means they will have to hire a tech to complete.

Also the freon lines need a good flare or double flare which most people don't have even a crappy flare tool.

Most here I'd stick with the self contained. If installed right even under the v-berth with padding and insulation, there should be no noise other than air flow out the vents. I know I've installed hundreds of AC units.

Most all your top production boats all have self contained and almost all mount under the v berth bed and other than noise thru the return vent, they are quiet.

Also there is no over do it in AC in the south.

Either 12 or 16 is fine in the 31, I've installed both sizes. It depends on ones comfort level.

Some people love a 68 degree cabin on a 90 degree day, others can tolerate 75 on a 90 day.

This is one area where individuality comes into play. Besides in 30 years of AC work I've never had one person complain their AC was too cold.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i sometimes forget we are not john q public on the on the use of r-22 but can the public use the "green gas" R-417a??. my idea was to put the condensing unit in the starboard engine compartment ,try to offset port generator with easy acces to power thru o.e.m. sleeve to electric panel and lines go right up pllar cavity to bridge. heat in bridge enclosure is a big plus in recent years due to a stong return of cod fish and a/c with in bridge enclosure would be a aset also.a/c registers from above are easy for complete distribution of air or heat and return air is simple even for john Q public.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Any unit that does not come precharged either as an all in one or uses quik connects(junk) needs a epa cert card to buy. All gasses except 134a recharge 1lb cans at the auto stores need the card also.

Its all about safe handling the gas to the EPA.

Car or mobile units require a seperate cert from the high p, low p or universal cert.

As a buyer of freon, the tech is supposed to keep track of where every ounce went to. But like most govt agencys, enforcement is blotchy.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

You can't be too rich or too cold in the summer. I have a Cruisaire 12k and it works okay but I'd rather have a 16.

UV
coolair

Post by coolair »

I dont know if cruse air has "line sets" avaliable, but on ice machines with remote condensors, the condensor, head and line set are all precharged, when you tighten the lines it pops a seal, just have to make sure you lubricate the treads. I dont know how they sell the remote units. Bruce, never a "its to cold" man you are lucky, happends all the time, usualy cause the fat ass lady who is menopausal has it cranked down and the other girls are too cold haha! But yes the EPA rules are stupid, with my EPA certification i am not allowed to buy R134, R12 or any of the 12oz cans, only the drums of refrigerant.. stupid
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

16k unit from ocean breeze in Stuart, put it under the port bulkhead window under the setee. cools great in the summer was well priced and the only noise is the better half pullin up the comforter in august. 3.5 next gen runs it very well
Bill
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The only marine ac sets that used to have quik connects as I recall was Aqua Air out of Miami. They quit using them because of all the issues.

Having those connections in the lines are like having a 500lb woman in a narrow hallway and then yelling fire in a crowded room and the people are trying to get past her out of the building.

The fat woman is the quik connect and the people are the freon. The flow is impeaded.

Theres enough companies making self contained ac's that split units on 45' boats and under are not all that common anymore.
coolair

Post by coolair »

I like that analogy Bruce!
haha
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That is not nice Bruce!! That 500 LB woman has rights in that hall just like she has rights in MY airline seat!! LOL! Good analogy!!
Last edited by Rawleigh on Mar 18th, '10, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

coolair

Post by coolair »

yes, i saw that news clip, i think i am going to be sick! again!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

From the article,
He’s(boyfriend) a real belly man, and completely supports me
You fat cow, he couldn't support you with a damn crane.

Thats more of a complete blockage than a flow impediment.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

And they want us to pay for her health care?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I like the part where she says that she is completely healthy!!!! Man, there are some sick dudes out there watching her!!! UGGHHH! Pat I am beginning to worry about you down there in Texas! Where do you come up with some of this stuff!! LOL!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Where do you come up with some of this stuff!! LOL!!
In this case, Bruce's anology just happened to coincide with a current news article... But, then I've never had a problem pokin' fun at a fat gal.

Hmmm? Was that pun intended? Freudian slip maybe?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pat,
There's fat and theres, good God its an eclipse of the sun.

I think that qualifies as the later.