Haulout/rudder removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Haulout/rudder removal

Post by jackryan »

Hauled Decoy out yesterday and was pleased with the condition of the hull. Because I bought her at an auction, I could not do survey before the purchase, so I did not sleep well the night before the haul out. No blisters and only a small amount of work near the stern. Here are a few pictures:

http://haulout.shutterfly.com/

There are some close up photos of the rudder post. I was wondering if I could get some help on the best way to remove the rudder. My brother wrestled with it for a while and could not get it off. The rudder shelf is rotten and will need replacing. Will I need a puller or some sort of specialized tool to remove the rudder?

Also going to have to replace the exhaust hose. It's 5" ID and I will need 2 sections both about 3 feet long. I will need the hose to be flexible, and have gotten wildly different prices. Some is $80 per foot and some is $15 per foot. Any recommendations from the faithful? I'm going to have to fabricate some supports for the exhaust hose, and was wondering if I should use some kind of foam board covered with fiberglass. The exhisting wood supports got wet and are rotten.

Thanks, and I'm sure I will have some more questions this week.

JR
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

My brother just called and he got the rudder off. He said finding the second set screw helped.

I was thinking that Capt. Pat's PVC foam board composite he uses for the rudder shelf may also be a good material to fabricate the exhaust hose supports. Where is the best place to buy PVC foam board? Is this the same thing a Coosa Board?

Thanks,

JR
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jack,

PVC foam board and Coosa are very different products. Coosa board would be your best matterial for both the table and exhaust supports. For both items, laminate 1 or more layers of 1/2" Coosa board, depending on the final thickness you want.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Capt. Jack - she looks real good. Observations: you have a Pipewelders half tower exactly like mine and it was probably built right there in New Orleans when Pipewelders had a shop there at Schubert Marine. A $10K item years ago.

You have the Bertram 31 style rudders with the arm at the top. When you replace the rudder shelves, replace the flange bearings too, they are dirt cheap at WW Grainger. Don't bother with the stainless ones, they cost an arm & a leg...the cast iron ones will last fine if you coat them with grease or better yet, HD CX or Max Wax, and keep 'em coated.

Those are the original "old style" stuffing boxes and are fine if you take your time getting both sides pulled down the same....eyeball is okay, just avoid "cocking" one side. I replaced mine with the newer style with the one large nut...many of the Faithful have gone with the dripless, but they have some issues too.

Overall, she is very clean looking and in great shape...those orignian Lee Sr. outrigger holders are impossible to replace, so take care of 'em....I have a few assorted spare parts for 'em if anyone needs some. Lee quit making them and parts years ago.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Jack-Sleep well. You did good. All the best-Walter
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Looks great, Jack, congratulations!
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Guys, thanks for the complements and more importantly all of the great advise. Bear with me, as I'm sure something else will pop up in the next couple of days. I'm having a ball with her and I'm planning on running down the river to Venice once I'm finished up in the yard. The mako fishing has been on fire and they caught a 215# yellowfin a couple of days ago. Hopefully I'll have some pictures with fish in them to post shortly.

Uncle Vic, I have a brand new pair of the 22' Lee Sr. Outriggers just waiting to go into those bases. I also have a Pompanette fighting chair that my brother and I just finished refurbishing.

JR
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that going look great jack ,that chair is the finishing touch to the cockpit.nice boat and good luck fishing.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

I know you are probably trying to keep the cost down, but since you have the rudders out and are rebuilding the shelf, you should give Capt. Pat's oversize rudders a try. I promise it makes a world of difference.

You ahve the same outrigger base's I have.

Good luck with her.
Marlin

haulout

Post by Marlin »

Exhaust hose, you might research wire reinforced in the areas that bend, from the mufler back you wont need the reinforcement. Look at Capt Pat's images on rudders shelfs, use coosa,tough ,lite and requires little glasswork. grindingwear protective gear when cutting or