Fuel Tanks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ripsangler

Fuel Tanks

Post by Ripsangler »

I own a stock 1975 31 FB with Perkins Diesels and was wondering if Bertram used different sized fuel tanks during certain years. Gas verses diesel. I'm sure that this has been discussed previously but I can't seem to find the thread. The previous owner had the deck up but didn't replace the stock Fiberglass tank. How many years can I expect out of this tank and do you forsee any problems that I should keep an eye out for. I'm new to the site and new to this boat as well. I appreciate any info on this subject. Kurt[/b]
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I had the perkins in my boat for 11 years. The 165s and then I intercooled them. Great motors. If I can help just pm me. Russ bought them from me he is still running them. Im sure he will chime in.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The tank sizes were 175 and 220, I believe.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

For diesel use, that tank should last several lifetimes. Don't give it another thought.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a 1964-65 that was originally gas and I was told was 160 gallons. I went to diesel in 1990. Still going strong. Don't worry, be happy!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The tanks were 170 gallons up thru the 1971 model year and 222 for 1972 and theeafter. Same tank capacity for gas or diesel models. These capacity numbers are the "usable" not the absolute capacity. My 1972 model's tank is tagged 232 gallons and I have put over 222 in it with both diesels still running.

UV
Ripsangler

Fuel Tanks

Post by Ripsangler »

Thanks for the info. All of my questions were answered. This site is priceless to a new 31 owner. Thanks again, Kurt
Marlin

fuel tanks

Post by Marlin »

fyi My 1971 had a 170 in the center compartment and a pair of 30 gal(I been told that capacity) as outboard. When I removed the main. it appeared ok, when I picked up the outboard tanks they began to fold over like pasta aldente, gas engines not diesel