swim platform location

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marlin

swim platform location

Post by Marlin »

I'm preparing to install a teak platform and would like to it while the bilge is still open so I have easier access to installation of backing plates. Dont want to be to high, hense difficult boarding; too low , platform in water when boat is at rest. Diesels 3.5 genny, 235 fuel, 70 gal h20, teak cockpit, 1/2 tower mak eup the bulk of the weight. The location from the chines or the rub rail would help, I relocated the exhaust so that reference probably will not help. Boat currently empty of all mecantical equip so I cant dip it to find the waterline nor have I ever seen this sptfish in the water fully burdened with this equip.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Unfortunately, the swim platform, like the water line really can't be determined until everything is done, installed, fuel & water topped off, gear onboard and the boat is floating. Until that point is achieved, all else is guess work.

I installed a Butler teak swim platform on Tommy Drake's "Island Girl" without removing anything, including the deck. Wasn't that difficult...

With the boat loaded and floating, load the platform onto the stern gunnel for the final determination as to water line and install the platform as desired.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a 31 Sportsfisherman, twin Cummins 6b's, no generator, heavy teak deck, big Tuna fighting chair, gin pole, 160 gallons of fuel, full enclosure, no tower, but outriggers. She sits with her stern chines about 3/4" under water, exhausts almost submerged. Don't know if that's any help, but if you don't want the platform touching the water at rest, you might consider positioning it between the scuppers and the bottom of the chine.
randall

Post by randall »

patrick.......i wonder how many people would have remembered to count the weight of the platform. attention to detail......guess so!!
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Sharp eyes reading as usual Randall...............I almost missed Pat's inference if there with respect to allowing for the platform's weight itself.........that said best to then allow for how many people on board determining the platform's installed height over the waterline and exclude/include their weight too with respect to its installed height....considering also of course actual/usual boat use people loading / fishing location wise and including for the boat's most usual fuel loading etc.............................does this make it rocket science or backyard engineering,or both? !!!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
randall

Post by randall »

people on board really shouldn't matter unless you live aboard. which few do on a 31. 95% of the time the boats just sittin there.

BTW...coolest swim platform...."susy's pissed"