Windlass??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptDana

Windlass??

Post by CaptDana »

Anyone have input on what windlass to go with- I am going to be putting this on my other boat--(10mtr trojan with a bow pulpit) - I am looking at the Lewmar Pro-Fish 1000--Seems to be all S.S. and features free fall. Any pros/cons--recommendations?

Also- I have read a lot of discussion on windlasses on other boards --my big question is- can I drop anchor and not have to go out on the bow to tie it off? ie- can I rely on the windlass to hold the boat?
Thanks in advance
Dana Bonney
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

If you can put up with the looks, the EZ Puller is hands down the BEST on the market. I've owned most of them, Lewmar, Good, Maxwell, etc. and none even come close to the EZ. All of the others require you to be very specific about the type of rope & chain you use and most will jam at some point. Not so with the EZ, you can use whatever rope and chain you prefer. I anchor anywhere from 3 to perhaps 15x per day and can't even think about going back to the other brands. The only two downsides are looks and no free fall. I can honestly say that it would be the 1st thing I would buy if I bought a different boat.

Sincerely,
Dan
www.finchasersportfishing.com
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

I installed a Lewmar Free Fall on my old Pro-Line and I loved it. Used 30 foot of chain and a Delta anchor. That combination never unstuck until I wanted it to, and it always pulled free for me if I drove just past it too.

Yes you did need to use very specific rode and chain, as well as tie an absolutely perfect fid (is that what they call it?) splice between the two... but it pulled both the chain and the line in very quickly, and also let it out very quickly in the freefall mode.

I have a new windlass for the Bertram on my radar too, and although the EZ Puller is indeed both big and butt-ugly:

...I do like the fact that it appears to store the rode on deck instead of in the rope locker. I don't like the unsealed (to the boat interior) rope locker one bit, but in my B33 bow configuration I can't see how adding an access door on the bow deck is going to work.

The "Good" windlass I have often chews up the lines, often gets the rode tangled going in and out of the underdeck locker, and basically I have currently abandoned using it. It is slow as hell too when it does decide to work.

The interior rode locker problems (mildew, tangles) would probably remain no matter what is installed.... maybe the EZ Puller is the answer, butt ugly or not.

Dana do you know offhand how much 5/8" rode that big spool holds? I would want at least 150 feet, preferably 250 feet, + maybe 30 feet of chain.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Sean...

As I am interested in one day installing a windlass I went to the EZ Puller web site this AM after I read Dan's post above. The home page there has some specs on line size and capacity for their different models.

http://www.ezanchorpuller.com/

I looked at a boat that had one a couple of years ago.. they look practical and not "yachty".. I suppose everybody has to decide for themselves how important looks vs practicality are. I would install one, especially if I did a lot of fishing.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

yeah I see that thanks. The one I would need (#12) is 22" wide, 15" long, and 13.5" high. I don't know.... that is pretty damn BIG
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I put a Powerwinch on my boat last winter. Easy as pie. Make sure you use a solenoid in the system. Good Luck
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

ed c. wrote:I put a Powerwinch on my boat last winter. Easy as pie. Make sure you use a solenoid in the system. Good Luck
Do you like it because I put one on years back it works but I am not happy with it I will never put a powerwinch on again.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Dan: What is the negatives on this unit??I was almost sold on the Idea.. I fish alone occasionaly & when it turns bad I have to go to the bow to pull the last bit of chain by hand.. Need something that pulls 1/2" line & chain too.
Wayne
Tangier

Post by Tangier »

Very timely subject looking to add a pulpit and windlass- The self contained systems aren't the most attractive? Are there any other options that would allow one person to operate the boat and handle the anchor?

Thanks,
In the middle of a rebuild...
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Alone?
John F.

Post by John F. »

Most all of the Chesapeake Bay charter guys use the EZ Puller. They look fine on bay-built deadrises. If I were anchoring as much as they do, it'd be the way I go. I rarely anchor, and have a Lewmar on a pulpit that's worked fine--the couple times a season I use it.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you have one person in the cockpit, you can anchor and retrieve multiple times with the Ball/ring/rope basket system from the cockpit without a windlass. That's what all the Montauk charterboats use. Simple, inexpensive and no jamming or wiring problems. If you fish alone, that's another story.
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Wayne,

Which Dan are you refering to? There are two who have chimed-in on this thread.
Tangier

Post by Tangier »

Walterk-
Anchoring w. the family- don't want the wife to get her hands dirty...

John-
I've got an EZ pull on a Parker- good systems- but like you said they are on quite a few dead rises- which aren't exactly things of beauty.

Didn't know if anyone had experience with a windlass that operates on the veritical plane (smaller profile)- the lewmar and EZ wind horizontally and occupy more deck space.

Thanks,
In the middle of a rebuild...
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

34hat, installation is everything. What problems do you have with it?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

damm timing is off!!!! run this post in sept. usually 2 or 3 for free or next to nothing.plus postage which could be considerable.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Lewmar

1965/2007 Bertram 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

nice ,small and not a eyesore for a 31 bertram .good idea zero cavity
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
coolair

Post by coolair »

I have been looking around for info, and stumbled across all the info and pics on zero cavity. all i can say is wow! that is one beautiful Bertram
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Thanks Bob and Matt
1965/2007 Bertram 31
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Ironman wrote:Dan: What is the negatives on this unit??I was almost sold on the Idea.. I fish alone occasionaly & when it turns bad I have to go to the bow to pull the last bit of chain by hand.. Need something that pulls 1/2" line & chain too.
Wayne
Well I think this question is for me so here's my experience mine has shit for power. 50' of 5/16 chain plus 250' of line and it can't pick it all up on its own. It called for #6 wire I ran #4 it called for no solenoids I put a set in plus I did not us their crappy little switch. Also called for a 15 amp breaker I put a 20 amp in after popping the 15 all the time. Also first one had to go back after 1 year and be replaced. Now after another 7 season free fall does not work anymore. I also put the class 41' on instead of the 36' class so I upgraded everything above their recommendation and got a so so windlass.

So that's my story!
Hope it helps.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page