6" to twin 4" Exhaust

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Whaler1777

6" to twin 4" Exhaust

Post by Whaler1777 »

Hey fellas havent made any posts recently, been busy as heck... Been workin on Summer Winds in my free time... The big ol' DD's are comin out soon and I'm tryin to get my hands on an enclosure to keep her protected from the elements of a Northeastern winter... Hope all is well with everyone.... Now the question that I have is... I am looking to put in a set of 315 reman cummins in her over the winter and the exhaust outlet on them is 6" My boat has dual 4" exhaust ports in the back I was wondering If I needed to seal one of them up and make one 6" port or can I simply use 6" all the way back and get a fiberglass piece that will split the one 6" into 2 separate 4" ports? Hope that isnt too confusing.. Thanks in advance!! I will try to get some new pics up asap!
-John
Last edited by Whaler1777 on Apr 12th, '13, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Congratulations on you acceptance. I'm not an expert, but I don't see why you couldn't split the exhaust. Two 3" would be too small, but I would think two 4" would work. The experts will be along soon to give you some meaningful advice though!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

One 6" round port gives you 28 1/4 sq in of free opening. Two 4" round ports is 25 1/8 sq in of free opening. That's 3 1/8 sq in less than the single 6" port, but should be close enough...

Doubt that you'll find a ready made fibergalss connector to fill your needs, so you'll probably have have them custom built.

Congrats on the NYPD acceptance & good luck with the Academy.

Br,

Patrick
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

John...

I have 1996 Cummins 315 HP 6Bs in my '83 B33 FBC.. you will love them!

Congrats on being accepted to the Academy! Between your desire to be on of New York's FINEST and being a Bertram owner I know you are a good guy!

Frank B.. aka IRGuy
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
scot

Post by scot »

Congrates on your acceptance.

I have pondered the split system based on your same reality "2 existing thru hulls" What always bothered me about this is the distribution of the exiting water.

Is it posible that the water could become unequal in the distribution at the "Y" and cause one side of the exhaust to be dry, or at less have insufficient water to cool the piping...causing it to melt or burn up???

Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you split it at the transom it shouldn't be that hot.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31