And now for something different/bertram31.com band

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

And now for something different/bertram31.com band

Post by Bruce »

If this garners interest, maybe Pat could put this thread under a misc heading under index.

I'm sure there are some members who have or do play in bands.

It might be fun to get together at various functions for entertainment, other than drinking and falling off a stool.
Then again..........

If interested, post and maybe Pat will move us off the main board to discuss.

Besides musicians always get the chicks. Oh the stories.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Kinky

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Kinky is running for governor in Texas, maybe he'd like to join the band?
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I'm in - I can hambone good, and hum some.

UV
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

i would like to join the band. Yeah, I think it would be good and good for me.

But I don't play anything. However there could be a program during the evening that might be a lot of fun. At a point during the show, I could be the MC of "Dance off,Pants off" just like they do on MTV.

Whatta' think?
randall

Post by randall »

i can do the cd cover...i am so tone deaf my mom called on the way home from the airport and i had to ask who it was
Garry

Post by Garry »

Hollis can play lead guitar, write sum songs and sing......
Bulletproof

Guitar available

Post by Bulletproof »

Okay so I use to play Grand Funk, Aerosmith, and Alice Cooper during High School, but I've got a rockin guitar with no blisters on my fingers but would sure bring the axe along for the right event. Maybe my lauching this summer (God help me!)
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'll fetch beers!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Buju

Post by Buju »

I can beat on the djembe and bongos pretty good for a whiteboy...
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I can snap my fingers, Stomp my feet , yell and otherwise get in the way.
Dave K
Keep Fishing...
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Keyboards -- Stones, Eagles, classical and NO RAP
RussP

Post by RussP »

I have my Strat & P-Bass ready to go. I'll even break out the old Tascam 4 track to record the event.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Sorry Russ, bass is taken strat is open.
Thanks Tom.

Experience playing with others is a must if we would get together on the fly.
Tunes would be classic rock, garage band tunes, typical Sat night bar stuff. Nothing real wild. keep the effort on the low side of the scale.

Examples:
Get off my cloud, Can't buy me love, Not fade away, Tired of waiting(good 12 string), Green onions, mustang sally, pretty woman, little bit of soul, standing there, brown eyed girl, walking the dog, roadhouse blues, love me 2x, i fought the law, bring it on home, evil ways, suxy Q/bayou, whiter shade of pale, last night, etc.

Not looking to make an album and tour. Easy stuff that would make a couple of sets worth of material.

Forget the recorder Russ, nothing like the first time in the studio replaying the tracks only to hear what white man's disease is all about.
Click track in the headphones please.

Live and in color is where it at.

If we don't get any more replies, I'll let it die.
Ric

Post by Ric »

your kidding right? how are we going to lug instruments to gatherings, but for the record ,I graduated Berklee Boston class of 77 , I toured, I play piano ,guitar, bass, vocals and Ive played everysong you mentioned woodwind chops are junk now :cry: ,,,,,,,,brass forget it no armbature :cry: I havent pulled a bow accross a string on my upright bass in 25 years,,,,,what a shame ,,thats what sport fishing has done to me, Traded one passion for annother,,,,Thank god for the piano at the florida condo, My X took my Baby grand :evil: you bring an accoustic and thats all we will need U.V can do his hand jive coonass thing
and dat will be enough
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ric,
Out of state pickup gigs are not difficult at all and checking a guitar on a plane is easy. That's why I joked about not touring.

Small amps, pa and a trap set can always be aquired localy.
This whole concept was to keep it simple and have fun but it seems by the response not enough guys exist to pull it off.

So like your average Bayliner, I'll let this one die.
bmendenhall

Post by bmendenhall »

I really want to UV hambone!
Capt. Mike Holmes

Ric

Ric, I had no idea you were a Berklee grad! THAT is an accomplishment. I had a couple of coon-ass frineds from Port Arthur, Texas who were there probably before you. Gary Dorsey was mainly a bass player, Jerry LaCroix was like you, played nearly everything. Jerry partnered with Edgar Winter in the White Trash Band, then spent some time with Blood, Sweat & Tears and Rare Earth. I used to hang around with Dorsey during breaks at a club he played at in Houston and listen to stories of all the rgeat musicans he met at Berklee.

I am impressed. Maybe explains your thorough approach to boating?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mike,
Is that the same Gary Dorsey that played with the Boogie Kings at one time?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I'll gladly surrender the keyboards to Ric - I'm not even going to think about trying to play with someone with his musical backround! But, I do mean vocals on everything from Born to Be Wild to my all time favorite -- Pride & Joy
Capt. Mike Holmes

Dorsey

Bruce, that was him. The Boogie Kings are still my favorite all time band! I have all three of their albumns - the Purple one, Blue-eyd Soul, and the live At The Bamboo Hut albumn recorded in Trey's hometown of Galveston. LaCroix was their lead singer, also, went by "Jerry Count Jackson" back then. At one time I tried to be a songwriter - lyrics mainly. I let Dorsey judge some of my stuff, he didn't say much about it. Ran into Jerry in a club outside of New Orleans years later - playing with Jon Smith and a few other members of White trah, and he mentioned that Dorsey told him I wrote pretty good songs. I considered that a success, and quit trying anymore.

Gary was crazy, could tell some wild tales. He was a coonass roofer in the daytime. At one point a few years ago Jerry said he heard he was living in a cardboard box under the freeway, had had all his teeth pulled and couldn't afford a new set. He used to "date" Janis Joplin, before she learned how to sing. At one point he was one of the best friends I had.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Sounds like the guy would have fit in pretty well at Port Eads. We could have bunked him in the Ric & Randall shipping crate........ Sadly those days seem over, we now have to rough it at Pinas Bay........ Last call for UVI 7, have some spots open that I'll have to give up shortly. Email me, VLR@RKKDLAW.COM

UV
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Yeah, one nite, somewhere, Laura and I watched Ric wow to entire house as he sung at the Karoke Bar.
He's good.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mike,
When I moved to Florida in 81, I did a pickup gig with Greg Allman in a small Riviera Beach Club. Some guys came in and one turned out to be Jaco Pastorius, who was still playing with weather report at the time.
During the breaks when Greg was out shooting up in the parking lot, one guy who was with Jaco mentioned the Boogie Kings when our discussion turned to soul and blues in the South.

Days later I checked them out and have some of their stuff.
Probably one of the longest running bands around with many players. They go back to the 60's I think.

Too bad about Gary. But I have found over the years that lots of the really good players ended up the same way. Jaco had a meltdown and got beat to death at a club in the late 80's.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Players

When LaCroix was with White Trash, he and their drummer, Bobby Rameriz, got beat up in an alley in Chicago. Bobby died as a result.

The Boogie Kings went through several incarnations, but some of them were still playing under that name, last I heard. Just about all are still playing somewhere, they don't know how to stop. Those were good times, musically.

Gary could be back on his feet now, he was always pretty resiliant.