Cutlass Dory

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tunahead

Cutlass Dory

Post by Tunahead »

Bought another 'classic' this season. A Chris Craft Cutlass Dory, cuddy cabin model. It's in really good condition, but I want to 'fine tune' a bunch of things and really make it a pretty boat.
Does anyone have any information on these boats or know where I can get some? Pictures? If so, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
It has the original 305 cu. in. motor in it, which still runs great. In fact, was out looking for surf scoters today in Gardiner's Bay with it.
Great fishing platform, and alot easier to run alone then my 31.
Thanks.
Bill
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

My memory of the ChrisCraft Cutlass is of a very pretty, sharp bowed lapstrake hull with a sloping cuddy reminiscant of the Bahia Mar. The hulls were usually dark blue and a single center mounted engine which made the boat very seaworthy. So far, am I correct? If so, it's a perfect boat for fishing Gardner's Bay, as well as all of the adjacent areas. Enjoy! I have admired that boat from way back when it first came out. To ME, it too is a classic. Unlike B-31's, not too many of them still around. Walter
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Do a Google search ..quite a bit of info ....

Click on Images for some variations of the 22' hull....

Almost looks like a Huge Swampscott Dory..!!
algillen

Post by algillen »

There were at least three variations on that boat... there was the center console model, which was pretty fishable. Then there were two different cuddy designs that I am aware of. One had a Bahia Mar-like design with a pair of seats, one on either side of the motor box. I owned one of these for several years. Then there was another variation where the boat had more of a trunk cabin up front, and you sat on a bench seat right on top of the motor box.

Was a great little boat, but it was lightly constructed and had a tendency to "corkscrew" rock on the drift, and got a lot of people sick. Best thing I can describe it as rocking side to side, and front to back, then combine those two motions. As a bay boat, it's quite well suited.

The plus is that the light weight means it's cheap to run and moves well with the small V8; it should pull down 2 MPGs at 22-25 knots. Not an offshore boat by any stretch, although a much younger version of myself (and my wife) took that boat from Barnegat NJ out to Martha's Vineyard and back one year on vacation.

I did a major rehab on the boat, and have some photos of various stages of deconstruction/reconstruction ... if that's what you are looking for, I can dig them up and either mail copies or scan and post some of them.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes another classic, they also made a 26'
algillen

Post by algillen »

The 26 was made in wood, but I am not so sure there was ever a 26 made in Fiberglass. If memory serves me, I think the 26 was available with a single or twin V8s and was a rocket ship with the twins.

Personally, I always admired the wooden version of the 22 in the center console design, with the varnished mahogany console and accents it was more like a piece of functional art.

A lot of people scoffed at plywood lapstrake boats, but they didn't leak on launch and because they were lighter than cedar or mahogany plank, the plywood boats tended to be faster and more economical. Alas, plywood boats just couldn't survive the ravages of time.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

al
i only saw one 26' and it was wood loooked like it just came out of the showroom floor. cutty cabin
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

There is a 26' here in Babylon. Wood for sure and very pretty. Good luck with that boat, she is going to be great.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

is it a blue hull
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Bill: Is yours the boat that was displayed for sale across from the East Cutchogue school?
Tunahead

Cutlass Dory

Post by Tunahead »

No. Although I did stop and look at it. My days of wood boats are long gone, ...... well except maybe a Merritt, Scarborough, etc. some day.
That was a pretty boat in Southold and I have wondered where it ended up. Mine is a cuddy cabin model and was in a yard in Hampton Bays. The guy used to run it offshore for tuna and sharks in addition to stripers, etc. inshore.
It turned out to be a great find. My sons and I caught many stripers in the rocks at Plum, Gardiners, Gull, Little Gull, Fisher's and of course Shelter Island this season all on surface poppers or swimmers.
Going to put it in a shed and do some cosmetic work on her this winter after I get back. Looking forward to spending even more time on her next season.
With the 305 she does about 20kts. easily and burns 15 gallons on a r/t fishing trip to Plum is. Can't beat it. One of those boats (like my 31) that I'll never sell.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

white bear
i saw that one in the spring coming back from greenport.that looked like a black hull, almost stoped to take a look
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bill
watch out for the oil filter, it sits low so iam told close to the bilge water
Tunahead

Cutlass Dory

Post by Tunahead »

The filter is not close at all. Maybe a different mount. In any event, if it isn't the filter, it's the starter. Had a 23 Mako i/b that I had to put at least 1 starter in each season because of bilge water. Like women, they've never designed the perfect boat yet, although the 31 comes very close. Come to think of it, so does the CC Cutlass Dory.....
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

cwj wrote:is it a blue hull
Yes, it is.
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

There is a perfectly restored 22 Cutlass in Quogue. I met the owner a few years ago when he was putting the name on it. It was absolutely in showroom condition. They are great boats. All the best.
Harry
Tunahead

Cutlass Dory

Post by Tunahead »

Thanks Harry....Do you know where he keeps it?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

tunahead
your are right its the starter thats low
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

jspiezio
dark blue hull, it could be the one that a marina owner owned here in freeport, i think it was called vitas touch
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

cwj wrote:jspiezio
dark blue hull, it could be the one that a marina owner owned here in freeport, i think it was called vitas touch
Dark blue, pretty boat.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Back in the early 70's there was a 26 that fished out of jones inlet, named the JOHN B---heard it leaked like a sieve.
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Tunahead,
I will stop by the sign guy who was doing the name and see if he knows where it is kept. When I saw it it was on a custom trailer.
Harry
Tunahead

Cutlass Dory

Post by Tunahead »

Thanks Harry...No rush
Tunahead

Winter Project

Post by Tunahead »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BoatRepo ... 19b835cef4

Someone out there NEEDS to tackle this!