Piranha

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Piranha

Post by Bruce »

Local news just had a story of finding 3 piranah in a local retention pond.

First it was snake heads, now piranha.

Pat,
You moved away just in time. This whole county has become one big septic tank. What we need is a good tsunami to clear the place out and start over.

Florida was so much nicer in the 60's and 70's.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

People are just stupped.

They buy these non natives animals as pets then dump them. Florida is begining to sound like the Amazon Jungle. Python's taking on alligators. Who would have thought.

Even every once in a while someone dumps something strange up here in NJ. A couple of years ago, a guy trout fishing up on the Toms River pulled a 3ft gator out of the water. Now I know those are not native to NJ and would probably not survived the winter. But that 3 ft gator could have taken a pretty good bite out of someone not paying attention.

People just don't think.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Don't forget: Invasive species to FL also include the Asian Ell, 5 species of large snakes; reticulated, African, & Burmese pythons, boa constrictors and yellow anacondas.

Then there 17 or 18 species of fish, some even introduced by DNR & GFWFC, (both agencies now under the single heading of FWC) and overall an estimated 360+ Nonindigenous Aquatic Species of frogs, turtles, lizards, etc.

Now, let's see plants: Approximately 1.7 million acres of Florida's remaining natural areas have been invaded by exotic plant species. Invasive non-native pest plants destroy more natural habitat every year than development. These exotic plant invasions degrade and diminish what remains of Florida's natural areas. The three worst plants were introduced with permission of the state: Brazilian Pepper, Malaluca, Australian Pine.

Yup, Florida is becoming an International Zoo and not just critters....

Want me to start clearing an acre or two for ya? Only invasive species around here is the NJ family living behind me.
Buju

Post by Buju »

... maylasian water monitors, spectacled caimens, kudzu, green iguanas, peafowl, cichlids (including the peacock bass & oscar), tokay geckos, cane toads...
Just a few I see almost daily... 'cept the cane toad (marine toad, giant toad) they're still a rarity, but definatley around.
My buddy offed a decent sized (8') reticulated python in his yard (about mm97) a month or two back
I've got about a dozen 12+" tokay geckos living on and around my house. Have grown to like their very loud, birdlike "gekkk-ohh, gekkk-oh" calls in the evenings. Then went on to learn that the whole gecko family got their common name from the call of the big tokays...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The mornings news says the Fish and Game poisoned the pond and killed all the fish. Nice, another dead body of water that will make it into the water system.

Invasive species to FL also include
Vetus dimidium mortuus yankees.
I almost forgot it was that time of year.

Lest I also not forget the yearly pulsus navis trek. They don't spend any money, just tie up the bridges and anything listed as free.
Want me to start clearing an acre or two for ya?
I got my eye on Perry's overdue property tax land. He's already got a shootin berm on it.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

"Florida was so much nicer in the 60's and 70's"

This whole Country was much nicer then......

Ray
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Don't forget the Lionfish!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tom

Post by Tom »

Want me to start clearing an acre or two for ya? Only invasive species around here is the NJ family living behind me.[/quote]

Did you forget about Mexicanus wetbaccus? Suckers are everywhere.
Viva la Presidente!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

[Only invasive species around here is the NJ family living behind me.]

Be carfull of that NJ family. Make sure they don't belong to the Mothers and Fathers Italian Assocition (MAFIA). Or they just could be one of our former corrupt politicians.