Fuel tank coating advice needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

redcat20

Fuel tank coating advice needed

Post by redcat20 »

Just cut the tank of my 24' Baron open today. Took off the top and 3 interior baffles with a sawzall. Big job, solidly built. But had no choice-marina tried to pop it out with fork lift and lifted the boat clear off the trailer, with no "pop".
Anyways, plan to order an aluminum tank and insert it into the old shell. it should keep the salty bilge water off of it, and with a drain, not accumulate water in any other way.
Gelcoat is flaking off the walls, so thought I'd knock off the loose stuff and coat the entire interior of the shell with something.
Any ideas on what to use as a cleanser before applying the sealer?
Any ideas on a sealer - just plain fiberglass resin, or something else?
Redcat20
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Marine clean from POR15.com is the best cleaner I have found. It leaves no petroleum residue and leaves it squeky clean!! A 5 to 1 mix of water to cleaner works well. It is better if the water is hot. I was thinking about using their POR15 primer followed by their tank sealer. Their products are very good.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Paul, I was getting ready to email you & ask how you made out. Guess this answers that. Personally I would just grind every thing smooth, clean with acetone & then coat with epoxy.
One of the B28 guys at Jubilee Yacht Club mounted his new aluminum tank into the cradle formed by the old one. He cut the ends off the old tank & extended the new one out over the ends. He went from 165 gals. to 146 gal. capacity. Had it made at Luther Welding in R.I. (they have a website)
Good Luck
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
redcat20

Update

Post by redcat20 »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Multi-phase task. Friday, cut tank top off and removed baffles.
Today, ground off rivet ends from shoebox construction, glassed around the rim of the tank with 2" tape, and removed the flaky old gelcoat in the upper parts of the tank, cleaned with acetone, and repainted the interior with a 2 part epoxy paint.
Since the tank is a belly tank, without the shell, unless mounted really high, it would be forever in salt water. Probably cut the dimensions down 2-3" all around. Not sure how many gallons that will trim.
Next step with be to make templates out of heavy paper or cardboard so that a suitable size tank can be made to fit with the old shell. Any tips on making effective templates, quickly and inexpensively?
Redcat20
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

When we remove a tank from a boat we first zip grind the tabbing around the edges and then while the boat is still in the water we fork lift out the tanks. Being in the water creates suction but also much safer, don't need a boat fall off it's stands.

Keep Smilin