Got the numbers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JGomber

Got the numbers

Post by JGomber »

Just got the on-paper estimate to have Triton II repaired. Glad I was seated at the time!
Total was over $12,000 for replacement shaft, recond props, new cutless, rebuilt trans, new damper plate, rebuild rudder shelf, replace oil cooler, all labor and misc little stuff. The trans alone was $3,995 (not counting freight to and from Florida).
Never having been in this position before, anyone got any comments on what I can expect from BoatUS on the claim and how to handle them?

Hey Dug,
How's Alchemy doing?

Now I can expect to, maybe, get back in the water just in time to change the oil and winterize the engines. It'll still be good to get one more run...hoping all the repairs are correct.

Been so desperate, I've been surf fishing!
Jerry, Triton II
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

What kind of transmisision? Sounds expensive. Kevin
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

The trans is a BW Velvet Drive, AS2 73C, 1.5:1 ratio. When the "subsurface object" wedged between the propeller blade and the hull, it bent the shaft and took out the damper plate and drive splines in the trans.
I still don't believe that it had to be shipped to Florida for teardown, estimate and repair -over $4,000, plus freight!
Anybody know if I have any options if BoatUS doesen't want to cover all of this?

All I wanna do is go fishin' on my B31!
Jerry, Triton II
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

It hought you could get those rebuilt a lot of different places! I know mine were rebuilt by Hale Marine in Warsaw, Virginia.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

About 7 yers ago I had one rebuilt by Mack Boring in NJ. Although not the damage you had, mine cost me about 1200 & that was with the yards cost to pull it and reinstall it. I would guess today it would be closer to 2,000 given inflation. Tony Meola
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i don't understand am i writing greek. i have the trans exactly in the same ratio-----F R E E just make a nice donation
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Bob,
The yard and insurance company handled this one.
I told the yard guy and the surveyor that I had access to a RTO replacement with fewer hours that mine but they ignored it.
Jerry, Triton II
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Unless they're in cahoots with each other, I cannot see why they would walk away from a client produced replacement. Ask for an explanation or try another marina. Walter