Live Well Ideas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Live Well Ideas

Post by jackryan »

I am looking for some good live well ideas (and photos) from the faithful. Ultimately, I would love to install one of Capt. Pat's live wells, but for this season, I'm looking for something I can take off of the boat when I,m not fishing. I need something in the 25 to 30 gallon range. We usually fish with live hard tails (blue runner) or live pogies or threadfin herring. Any clever ideas on how to plumb something like this? Maybe a quick disconnect? I have a salt water wash down pump, but I don't think this pump will not provide enough flow for a live well, and probably not designed for continuous use. Is there a pump that would provide pressure for wash down and enough flow for a live well application? It would be nice to use one pump for both. Also, do guy's let the water drain onto the deck and out the scuppers, or hang a hose over the side to drain the overflow.

Thanks for the help.

JR
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I don't know how fancy you want to get, but a lot of charter boat guys used to use the white plastic barrels with the top cut and hinged. Use PVC fittings plumbed in at the bottom with a 90 degree elbow inside to make the water circulate and a drain out through a fitting on the side at the top with a hose that hangs over the side. Put it in the corner and lash it to the cleat.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks Rawleigh,

My brother has a white 30 gal. drum like that. I was also considering one of the oval wells like they sell at Cabela's and Bass Pro. Here's a link:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

JR
Tom

Post by Tom »

I use a set up like posted above. I split my saltwater washdown and ran a short hose to the livewell. Overflow goes out via a hose through the scupper. Raw water pump is plenty strong to keep high water flow and raw water simultaneously. It keeps hardtails, pogys and most any nontuna fish in good shape for our 3-4 day trips. It pulls out for howdy boating.
Viva la Presidente!
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I just installed one of these on the swim platform of my B-28. I also installed a raw water wash down at the same time - I use the raw water wash down to fill the tub and a 500 rule to circulate and oxigenate the water.

In cooler weather I can keep bait alive for a week - when the water hit's the 90's - only a few days.

My raw water pump will only run for so long before it gets hot and auto turns off - Image

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for the photos and ideas. I seem to remember reading about a pump that was designed for wash down and continuous bait well use. I can't find it it in the catalog right now. I'm not sure I understand how you use the Rule 500 to circulate the water, but I'm very impressed that your system keeps bait alive that long. Anyone have a photo of a temporary well on deck? Wish I had a swim platform to put it on, but it's gonna have to go on deck.

Thanks

JR
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

first built a manifold with thru hull then main ball valve .take off for gen. then bait well ,last wash down each have ball valve shut off . bait well output goes to starboard side cockpit panel with a shut off spicet that has water hose thread on it .from there to 27 gallon bait well by aqua world.i use 11/4" hose to scupper. i only use baitwell a few times a year so i think the easy removal is a big plus., especially when i need entire cockpit stern for shark,swordfish,tuna.here is manifold;
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I really like the manifold idea - I'll probably incorporate that when I redo some of the thru hulls. I'll try and get a picture of the 500 pump tonight if you want JR - on the 2nd picture I have a cigarette lighter plug on the port side (and you can see the plug draped) that the pump plugs into - It's 10 minutes and it's off the transom...
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I confess to using water drawn off of my engine intake. No problems so far.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Here's the other side - basically the 500 rule is mounted to the bottom - it sucks up water and deposits it on top - A spray fitting provides a little aeration.

jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for the great replys on live wells. I'm in China on an iPhone , sohard to see the pictures on the small screen. I'm going to study them when I get home Friday. Thanks again for the reply's.

JR