Can't keep Jets as lead subject...so best 31 event of summer

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Can't keep Jets as lead subject...so best 31 event of summer

Post by Carl »

Mine was simply to get out on it and use it this year.

the past several-

-had ethanol problems for a couple years
-then the girls where too young and being on a boat with them fishing or cruising was...well it was hell.
-I was so busy at work I could not break away to use it
-when I got time, I was too tied to go out
-money was real tight, fuel was real Expensive...

But this year we used it, we slept on it, I fished on it, I tinkered on it again ( small upgrades and maintanance projects that I opt to do not forced to do)

Actually went out for a full day of Fluking and we limited out...big deal two fish each, but with a 23 inch minimum...not a bad day.

Not overly Xciting, but I'm good with it for now.

Carl
randall

Post by randall »

JETS!!........just kidding......

i used mine in a way i never did before. the sunset view from her new slip is so nice we just hung out there a lot this summer. even caught fish off the bow in the slip. and of course she took me to the most fun surf i had all summer.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Carl, thats what it is all about. Sounds plenty exciting and wonderful to me!

On my world, it has been an upside down season, hell an upside down year. The weather put the brakes on use more than I would like, and Liz and I are on the rocks for now...she moved out a few weeks ago. I've gotten offshore only once, earlier this week, and it was just wonderful. Working more than I would like, but it is what must be done.

The boat? She is my rock. She always has been. And my time on her has been wonderful. Some false albacore alone, and with friends. Released my first white marlin on alchemy on Monday. Winter comes at a steady pace. And she and will be there to face it when it comes...

Dug
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The best 31 summer event was going 2hours and 10 min by myself to the Bertram Rendezvous in Point Judeth RI. The drone of the motors and the spray of the sea, being with myself cruising in my 31 Bertram,WOW. I still after all these years cant belive I am so lucky as to own one. "Feel the ride, live the legend".
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Best 31 event of my summer happened just last weekend.

Had my father, partner Rob and my son on the boat. Ran 82 miles on a ocean that was flatter than a plate of piss.

Put 8 rods in the water and I got to watch my 10 year old crank in his first yellowfin. Shortly there after followed by his 2nd and then his 3rd. His grandpa go one as well. We hit some pots and ge got his first handful of gaffer mahi's.

Sitting on the engine boxes next to him and he says; "Dad I'm glad we've got this boat, this is awesome."

Was 0 for 2 on whites which was disappointing, it would of been great to get him his first billfish. Think he was a little nervous about knowing he'd be thrown in the water after the catch in 1300 ft.

Good Times for sure.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Last Friday me & the Bride got to the camp about noon as usual and I saw one of the neighbors out in a flat boat by AJ throwing a big cast net....."what'ya catchin', Kenny?" "Swimps, big ass swimps, Uncle Vic",,,,and "oh yeah, about 6 bass per cast along with 'em"....hmmmmm....Tickfaw River is fresh water altho it runs eventually into salt.......no rain for a while....doggone 16-20 count white shrimp were ganged up in the canal behind the camp and the black bass were having a feast....I tossed my cast net a little but then got a casting rod rigged with a "clicking cork" and fake plastic shrimp and went to slaying the bass off the front of AJ, tied to the dock. The Bride was walking up and down the dock dipping shrimp with a net....I caught (& released) about 30 nice bass and between the Bride and Kenny's gift, we had a nice mess of shrimp to boil up....Kenny caught about 50# right there that afternoon.

Shoot, I may just sell the Cummins out of AJ and make her into a floating fishing camp....what ya'll say?

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Now UV, we all know that ain't gonna happen... :)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Couple of weeks ago took a few Bertram buddies for a cocktail cruise. Our little creek is perfect for such nonsense. We did our best to eat and drink all we brought. After dark we like to be tied up to prevent catching crab pots in the props. Backed into the boathouse and continued the party until past my bed time. Found the boathouse needs a ceiling fan and then I'm with Vic. Pull the Cummins and install coolers.
It's all good. I remember Capt. Mike's salutation included something about the joys of just "messing around with boats(read Bertrams)."
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Carl

Post by Carl »

randall wrote:JETS!!........just kidding......

and here I was thinking you where my friend...

LOL, I had that coming for the "how are they running now" comment.
Still running well, I hope!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug wrote: On my world, it has been an upside down season, hell an upside down year. Dug
I'm sorry to hear that...U know the number (s) if there anything I can do.

Marriage was the EZ part for me, I/we had trouble when the children came along. Glad to say for the most part we have moved past those times, but a tuff few years...

Carl
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

The season is not over yet. But one of my best trips this year was my son catching about a 300# Blue Marlin last month. But every trip out fishing is a good trip to me, just the shear enjoyment of going on my B31 is a great feeling whether just crusing or fishing or rafting up with friends.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Capt. DQ wrote:The season is not over yet. DQ
Very true another month or two for me...but the Summer is over and gone with...way too quick.

Tried to sleep on the boat last weekend, I was shivvering, teeth were chattering before I got to the V-berth. Decided to just go home.
randall

Post by randall »

vic.....it is kind of as hoot to catch fish off the boat in the slip. luckily we are easily amused.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sim sometimes i just sit back and look at that 31 bertram sitting in her slip and can`t belive the thousands of hours i have put into it over the last 11 years.a labor of love .my circumstantes are a little differant from most people. i could take a triple 3oohp mercury verado fountain to the mouth of the inlet and return( 17miles each way).no big deal nobody ever lift a eye at $400,000 big ones.yet when i take the 31bertram especially coming in the inlet and seeing a hundred boats fishing inside because the inlet is way to rough to anything but a 55'sportfisherman or larger.i along with my son along side pick a safe path thru the inlet and stay on the thottles at 30 knots what a incrediable sight (so i was told by the mates on 4 differant party boats like 60 footers) a hundred people standing next to the rails pointing at the 31bertram attack those huge rollars .my son says "dad this boat is the most amazing , awlsome boat i could ever imagine"----------thats what it is all about because he is next in line to own the boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bob: You need to get them disposable cameras so that they can take pictures for you!!

Dug: Sorry to hear that the year is going so poorly! I understand the problems of running your own business, as that is what a lawfirm is. It is even a bad year for lawyers!! Also I am getting married for the first time next Saturday, so i am in for some major adjustments of my own!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Whoa, Nellie!!!! MARRIED???? Wait till I talk to the Shrimp Pimp....

Condolances,

UV
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh wrote: Also I am getting married for the first time next Saturday, so i am in for some major adjustments of my own!!
Adjustments..

........ Ya think??

Sure you wanna do that now...

Marriage is an institution, or at least it will put you in one.

Nah, Rawleigh its a good thing.
The best thing that ever happened to me!!

I have to say that...just in case she's checking up on me.

Seriously,
Wish you the best of everthing!!
Carl
Tom

Post by Tom »

Rawleigh, The first time is always the hardest. Hang in there, they get easier after the first.-T
Viva la Presidente!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Congratulations! Of course we expect the ceremony to be held in the cockpit of your boat and an open invitation to all of the Bertram Bretheren to the reception! All the very best from all of us! Walter
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I'm crashing so I'll keep you posted. Maybe even pictures, if it ain't too tacky.
Oh what the hell, I'll do it anyway.
By the by, she's a cutey. He chased her like a man obsessed until she caught him.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

My best memory of this season was the PT Judith Rendevous....Getting to meet all the "Guys" from this site...Making the trip with my parents on Westwater...and making some new friends...Harry, Brewster, Gif, Bob L., Neil, Walter, Mike, Whaler,Dug...Nice to see Alchemy @Veatches this summer...125 miles out and you can pick up the radio and talk with a fellow Bertram nut....Thanks to all....BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Thanks guys! I figured I ought to see what the rest of you are bitching about! I'm not smart enough to learn from others mistakes unfortunately!!

I think I got a good one, but I hear that is how they all start out!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Just as long as she knows (and accepts) your Bertram addiction. She doesn't have to understand it, because most don't, but she WILL have to learn to live with it.
capy

Post by capy »

1st place???Taking my Wife and son to Martha's Vineyard this summer by boat and spending 4 nights aboard.
Carl

Post by Carl »

walterk wrote:Just as long as she knows (and accepts) your Bertram addiction. She doesn't have to understand it, because most don't, but she WILL have to learn to live with it.

I gotta say my wife is the one who wanted the Bertram.

....then again the choose was-- we by that 31 Bertram or we keep the smaller boat...she wanted a bigger boat.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yes Bob, awesome to hear your voice! How did you guys end up doing?

It was a fun day, and a long ride home. Haven't filled the tank yet, so I am not entirely sure how much burned... but it was a bit!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Walter: She likes it and fusses about why we don't go out on it more! Her Grandfather and his three brothers were all pound net fishermen from the town I grew up in, so the water is in her blood. In fact I grew up 100 yards from his house! Her father had bought a newspaper in a small town across the river and moved there before I was born, so I never knew her until 3 years ago. Odd how fate is, isn't it!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Rawleigh: You prob will not read this in time! But please do not wear that baseball hat in your wedding. Just kidding. CONGRATES
Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, We had 15 yellows to 45lbs, 8 mahi to 20lbs, tangled with a big tiger around 450-500lbs, worked that 10 degree edge we found you guys on, saw a nice mako swimin in the weeds and landed a few yellows..nothin big but still had a great time..Alchemy is quite the sight out there...hope to be out there with mine one day....soon i hope...
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Dug

Post by Dug »

You will be! I am glad she carried the image well! You guys sound like you had a hell of a day! Very cool!

We filled the boxes with Mahi, and released a white. It was a blast!
gplume

Post by gplume »

Got to hook up with one of you guys on a canyon trip. Need to go as a non boat runner so I can learn something. Keep me in mind as a crew member for next year. Pretty much done for this year.....work is busy compliments of the "cash for clunkers" program, which was like an unneeded shot of steroids for our business. I am afraid of the post frenzy hang over....but we'll save this discussion for politics page.

Yea Bob, I really enjoyed the rally once we got to "auto pilot" mode. The prep work was another story....but I can hardly remeber the pain thanks to a healthy application of Bresters "Bertram juice". Got a bunch of pix to send all you guys.
Giff
Dug

Post by Dug »

Cool Gif, will do.

Alchemy took 176 gallons to run east of Atlantis and back on an overnight trip (via Block Island to pick up Steve Miller) and I dare say we would likely have burned a few less gallons if we hadn't stopped and started on just about every high flyer on the way home. Not bad for a 240 plus mile trip from Groton Long Point, CT to the east side of Atlantis and back!

I love my diesels... Boat isn't bad either!

Dug