Hill Country conditions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom

Hill Country conditions

Post by Tom »

Capt Pat, have y'all got any drought relief the last two weeks? Looks like rain has been hit or miss with a good soaker or two.-T
Viva la Presidente!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tom,

Thanks for asking!

Drought hasn't really been too bad in my part of the hills this year... I've gotten about 17" of our average 25" for the year so far. Drizzeled down 36 hrs straight last week for a total of 1 1/2" and got a 10 hour spread over the last 12 hrs for another 1/2". May pick up another 1/2" or so between now and Friday. Everything is emerald gree on my pice of dirt...

San Antonio and Austin have had a pretty hard go of it for the year. Travis is down about 45' and SA is on water rationing...

I dropped my well down another 100' last year, picked up 3 more stratas of water, for a total of 4 stratas in 200'. Inadvertantly "tested" the volume capacity a few weeks later. Forgot to shut of the water to the storage tank, for 18 hrs straight. Approx 10,000 gal out on the ground and the well was still pumping 10 gpm.

Thinkin' about addin' a swimming pool for the dogs... A lily pond maybe, with coy. But then again, maybe just one of these front pasture ornamants...

Tom

Post by Tom »

Good to hear things are green on the hill. I think I was a rancher in a former life, or a cow. Always thinking about rain.

My lease between Dilley and Cotulla has had just about 1" since last September. That is until the last two weeks when we've gotten about 8 inches. Filled all the tanks and they were all bone dry. The wets couldn't even dig them out to find water for the livestock prior to the rain. If not for a live creek the rancher would have sold all his stock. Rumor has it the live creek is effluent runoff from the Dilley prison. It don't smell so I've got no problem with it. Keeps things alive in bad times.
Viva la Presidente!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Llano River, (more like Llano Creek), is about 300 yds off my front door... Right on the NW edge of the Abnormally Dry zone.

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

That over grown billy goat at that B&B across the river from you?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yup... They've got two now.