Teak and Holly plywood covering question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom

Teak and Holly plywood covering question

Post by Tom »

The inlaws have finally replaced their downstairs outdoor bar since Ike tore the old one out for them. The bar is under the bay house, not exposed to the sun. The countertop is a teak/holly plywood. There is about a 1/4 inch lip on the outside perimeter created by split bamboo. His original plan was to pour an epoxy over the top. I told him of my concerns about yellowing. So I'm looking for advice on a relatively labor nonintensive product to put over the plywood that will remain clear. Any advice? I have a place next door so I have a vested interest in a good looking bar when I steal his clear liquids.-Tom
Viva la Presidente!
John F.

Post by John F. »

When I did my teak/holly ply floors, I used the West "non-yellowing" hardner. It may not have yellowed as much as with the other stuff, but it did yellow the holly a bit. I used a couple of coats West thinned, a couple full strength, and then 5-6 coats of a satin poly "varnish." I figured I'd have to redo the varnish every year or so, but I haven't had to do anything to it--been about 4 seasons now.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

What about the clear acrylic?

Scroll down past the legal warnings:

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/bartop.html
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ernest,

You want a bar top epoxy, 1:1 ratio... Here's a couple that I've used before:
Aero Marine Products
Epoxy.com
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks guys. I've been real busy and just don't have time to do research on anything properly. Still at the office and no end in site. Haven't fished since early July even. Apparently, life has gotten in the way despite my best efforts to avoid this situation. Sure wish I could retire in this 40th year of my life and enjoy my fitness while I can. Nothing like a 40 year old mind trapped in an 84 yr old body.

I will check out your advice and post up the results. Clearly, I will be doing the work for my wife's old man. Anything else would be uncivilized or at least make me real nervous at the outcome. Something about doing it right and the necessity of doing it yourself.-Tom
Viva la Presidente!