31 Insurance

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

31 Insurance

Post by Bruce »

One of my customers can't get replacement insurance on his 31 thru normal sources.

Didn't Pete come up with something because of the age factor?

Where can he go to get it or how to approach it?
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Bruce-

I just got my 1970 36 Hatteras hull insured and had a very hard time finding a carrier for that era hull. Believe it or not BOAT US is who I finally got the policy with. I believe they use a carrier by the name of CNA Marine, NYC. My premium was a little high due to the Gulf Coast area. I understand that beyond Mobile Bay, AL thru the Texas coast the premiums go even higher. For my 25' 1970 bertram I used Progressive but I believe they have a 30' cut off length. Anyhow the contact information for BOAT US is below.

BOAT U.S. Marine insurance division
880 South Pickett St.
Alexandria, VA 22304
1-800-283-2883
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bruce
has he tried boat us, they only asked for survey in and out, friend of mine recently went with progressive and did not need a recent survey
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have Boat Us.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

I went thru Allstate...originally they would not. But after speaking with my agent, telling him I was having a hard time getting coverage, he had me write a long winded letter about how I have everything thru Allstate (which I do, mainly because of my agent) and I have been boating since before I was born, have taken all the safety courses, made my wife take the courses yada yada yada.

In the end they agreed to take the boat...
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I am with Traveler's and had a survey a few years back which they have never asked me to update. Boat US wanted a survey for my B-20.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i guess i am the only oddball on this site! i never had boat insurance in my life and that included at least 12 boats in 50 years.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

maybe its because I'm in Fla. but the rates were stupid hi, so I carry liability only thru Progressive. Still looking but I can buy alot of bilge pumps for $5000.00 a year. not happy, Bill
Bill
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

You should have insurance. If you have an umbrella policy they usually want to make sure all your coverages are up to snuff.

God forbid someone gets hurt on the boat and sues you.

You really need it to cover your self from the legal aspect of this world. Loosing the boat is another story.
coolair

Post by coolair »

progressive did my 31 and it was less than a grand but i only insured it for 25k
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony i will check my homeowners policy or at least add to it. i have my 31 bertram 11 years that translates into twelve thousand dollars in term of a normal go aground-soft . that would be 1500 maximum for me, i do all my own work and would have the boat out of the water in 30 minutes if any inpending hurricane was heading our way.liability is something else.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Hagerty Classic Car Insurance,

I have 2 older cars with them and I know they would have also done my 20 bahia mar. The only reason they don't have the boat is I already felt bad about pulling my 2 cars from my agent/friend.

They have been fantastic on my cars and the boat policy I looked at was very reasonable with no restrictions. But I would ask about you guys with commercial tuna licenses or charter capt's as there may be some issue there.....

Ray
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bob-

I have a minimal policy on my B31 for the boat itself, and have an umbrella that covers liability. In addition to the boat or someone getting hurt, if something happens and there's a fuel spill (environmental damage) and the USCG gets involved, I've been told that the clean-up numbers can add up in a hurry.

My boats and everything else are through Allstate--and the boat itself is somewhere around $450 year. Consider it.

John F.
Al

Post by Al »

Bruce,

My primary hull and P&I insurance is written in through Atlass Insurance in Lauderdale (954-525-0582).

Best regards
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
randall

Post by randall »

tunawish wrote:Hagerty Classic Car Insurance,

I have 2 older cars with them and I know they would have also done my 20 bahia mar. The only reason they don't have the boat is I already felt bad about pulling my 2 cars from my agent/friend.

They have been fantastic on my cars and the boat policy I looked at was very reasonable with no restrictions. But I would ask about you guys with commercial tuna licenses or charter capt's as there may be some issue there.....

Ray
exactly....and i have it on the boat also.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
As far as insurance companies are concerned, there all a bunch of legalized bookies per UV. I found that there is only a few companies that will write on our old boats. Boat/US, they require a full survey, CNA fully survey, CL Dallas, full survey. Progressive is getting into the boat market in Florida, haven't had to deal with them. Allstate has been so-so, especially if their paying out.
I have had to write separate letters, along with my completed survey, explaining what has been done during restorations, upgrades and repowers. Most of the old underwriters that knew about boats have retired and the newer ones don't have a clue about how a boat is constructed.
Bruce, have your client call Alan Nederlanden at Bateman, Gordon & Sands Inc. in Pompano Beach, 954-941-0900 he's an old school guy and knows 31 Bertram's.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bruce,

Just to clarify about Hagerty Insurance that I mentioned above. This is
"agreed value insurance" If you meet what ever limitations they might have and I am not sure if they do.. they are an absolute pleasure to deal with.

These guys only insure classic boats and cars... I've had a couple claims on my one car. I couldn't believe the service. Almost felt guilty when the paid a claim for $3500.00 no questions asked to have it fixed by a specialty restoration shop. When I had paid them only $95.00 a year for the premium...

It's worth a call to them... faster answers than the web site, which is also good ...

Just Google them for contact info. I think you may be surprised..

Ray
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Quick update Hagerty seems to cover the entire US .....

Except Florida..

Not sure why....

Ray
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

The rates depend on where you are. I am in New York.

Bob, I have BOAT US. $800.000.00 fuel spill, 1000.00 MED Pay, 300,000 Uninsured boater, 300,000 Bodily Injury and a 2000. deductible for a premium of 477. Ten yrs ago I had to have a survey and I didn't know what the boat was worth. The surveyor put it at 35,000. He didn't like "all the horsepower Bertram jammed in the boat". F@#k him.

A few yrs ago, I wanted charter boat insurance and the broker said I needed a survey. Needless to say I got another surveyor and he put the value at 65,000. I never bought that insurance so I don't have a clue as to what it would have been.

The boat was worth the 65,000. at that time. What it is worth now is in the eyes of the beholder!
A/K/A El Gaupo